NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That sort of thing is natural when you don’t build massive urban centers in the middle of a desert.

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    They built the desal plant here in our area and it started operating continuously in 2016. Whole bunch of lawsuits against it still. One citizen plaintiff cries it's a scam since it only provides 7% of the regions water (7% for 3.2 million people). The water authority actually found since SoCal is so dry, it costs less to buy the water from the desal plant than to buy it from NorCal or Nevada. So when I think about it, 7% from the desal plant along with our mandated 25% water savings/restriction actually gives us a good chance of not actually running out of water and turn San Diego into another Cape Town.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    SoCal's per capita use is far and away higher than Capetown, amazing how much water they found they could get by on:

How Cape Town was saved from running out of water
    Reusing shower water, limiting toilet flushing and night-time irrigation were among measures that saved South Africa’s second city from running dry
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-brink-how-cape-town-cracked-its-water-crisis
    "Late last year, as the South African government faced the prospect of its largest city running out of water, they took an unprecedented gamble.

The government announced “day zero” – a moment when dam levels would be so low that they would turn off the taps in Cape Town and send people to communal water collection points.

This apocalyptic notion prompted water stockpiling and panic, caused a drop in tourism bookings, and raised the spectre of civil unrest.

It also worked. After years of trying to convince residents to conserve, the aggressive campaign jolted people into action.
    Water use was (and still is) restricted to 50 litres per person per day. (In 2016, average daily per capita use in California was 321 litres.)
    Households that exceed the limit face hefty fines, or having a meter installed in their home that shuts off their water once they go over.

Capetonians started showering standing over buckets to catch and re-use that water, recycling washing machine water, and limiting loo flushes to once a day..."

“It was the most talked about thing in Cape Town for months when it needed to be,” says Priya Reddy, the city’s communication director. “It was not a pretty solution, but it was not a pretty problem.”
    Cape Town’s water use dropped from 600m litres per day in mid 2017 to 507m litres per day at the end of April. That’s still short of the 450m the city should be using, but Reddy says it couldn’t have been achieved otherwise. “We really did need to make it alarming enough, otherwise day zero would have happened.”

“The day zero campaign made us all think twice about water,” says Sue Fox, after collecting several litres of drinking water for her household from a natural spring in Newlands, an upmarket Cape Town enclave. “We’ll never, ever, ever take water for granted again.”"

Here’s how the new water By-laws will affect you
    Published by Nidha Narrandes on June 14, 2018
    http://www.capetownetc.com/water-crisis/heres-how-the-new-water-by-laws-will-affect-you/

The 11 cities most likely to run out of drinking water - like Cape Town
    11 February 2018
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-42982959

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    It's not a drought. It's a water shortage. Farmers look at the residence with their lawns and golf courses. Residence look at farmers being subsidized for crop they shouldn't be growing here. It's all about distribution and the fight for water rights.

Yep. From all the transplants from other states who've come here. And no, people aren't leaving Cali. Well, people making under 50k are, but Cali is where it's at for the young and educated.

California sees $9 billion surplus

Oh, and know Cali subsidizes those blue states. Our economy has a lot to do with the success the US is having in this area.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Eh, would rather be in the RTP here in NC or maybe in the tech parts of Texas. Just as successful as places like SV but without the silly regulations and such, as well as far saner local economies. :)

Plus I can have all the water I could ever dream of using

6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    SoCal also has over 50 times the population than Capetown. Still, 50 liters per day is an insane amount to get by on. 3 of those liters minimum for consumption just to stay healthy.

I do agree with some of the water saving techniques. Using grey water to supply toilets is very wise. I know people in my area with those sort of systems. But only flushing the toilet once per day? That's got to smell bad. It would be better to just use a composting toilet system then.
    I also like the fact that Miami made the list and no other US city.
    I would think it's both. We've been having unusually dry winters and excessively hot summers.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I can see Miami being on the list. Massive city that’s only growing bigger on a piece of land with little fresh water nearby.

Maybe with all the money Florida makes off of tourism, they could stand to build a few desalination plants.

8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Stupid alcohol laws in my country, can't buy booze past a certain time on weekend...
    I've already drank most of my beer during the first half of Germany-Mexico game...

Also, 'Schland, da **** is this?!? Step up you game! Mexico is currently shows a better game...

radji, hmscott and Fishon like this.
  9. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Replaced the keyboard in my ThinkPad T440p. Backlight isn't working AGAIN!

I'm done replacing keyboards on this thing. I'm convinced that there's something off with the connectors because this new keyboard had a fully functioning backlight until I rebooted.

10. Hossbando

Hossbando Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe an EC issue?