NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Oh just the usual. Started my own business, got engaged, began building a new house.

Edit: And Fortnite, can't forget that part. ;)

Convel and Fishon like this.
  2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Still in Utah?

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, it's really possible to get productive by leaving forums behind, then! Congratulations and good luck in the times ahead! :D

It seems people are either addicted to PUBG, Fortnite, or Overwatch these days. Mine's the latter, unfortunately.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    WarThunder and a tiny bit of Girls Frontline for me >.>

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yep, still in Utah.

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I recently cleared my history in Google Newsstand and reset all the preferences.

The feed it gives me instead is polluted with an obscene amount of tripe from someone Minaj to reality tv show updates to Kylie Minogue's 50th to fashion rubbish to articles based off a video, "maccas employee throws coffee" "cat fight on TV show includes actual cat" aaaaaaaargh. Apart from Ivanka's latest batch of Chinese trademarks being granted, not a single item of any intellectual depth. I almost missed the Inception-level backstabbing going on in the White House: a leak from a meeting about leaks from a meeting about leaks from the meeting where the McCain death comment was made.

I clearly underappreciated my carefully cultivated echo chamber!

Fishon likes this.
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    It appears you disagree. First and foremost, he's only a comedian with an opinion, so one can take it or leave it and not put too much weight into what he says. Having said this, he's well known for calling out life's BS, as the couple of videos you deleted addresses the subject of capitalism and religion here in the US. And while one can love their capitalism and religion all they want, in my mind, any subject is not above reproach. I believe he makes some salient points when you allow yourself to take a step back and examine it from the perspective he's presenting. Did you fundamentally disagree with what he is saying, or did you find it too disrespectful because you hold these values so near and dear to you heart?
    ________

I'm seeing quite a few people of color in the news today commenting on the Starbucks training session today. What's bothering me is that I'm getting the felling based on their comments is that this is pretty much for white people only. Yes, everyone has a bias based on prior experiences, but it's up to each and every one of us to judge each person and experience individually (while understanding were some of these feelings come from in the first place), and that goes for people of color as well.

bennyg likes this.
  8. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Starbucks' little pow-wow is a joke. The tool bags in question didn't run into trouble because of skin color, but because of absolute ignorance and stupidity, which doesn't discriminate. If Starbucks' coffee didn't suck as bad as it does, I might care a bit more than I do. They truly have become the McDonald's of coffee shops.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  9. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it's telling when we're not able, for one reason or another, to broach certain topics of conversation. As a devout Christian, I don't always agree with what's posted regarding that sphere of faith, but I respect others' positions and the reasons they feel the way they do, for example. As a society, we're completely fugged if we can't talk to each other, especially about those things which drive our values the most.

Fishon and KY_BULLET like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No I didn't remove them because I didn't agree with his observations, because for the most part I do agree - that's where that quote I made came from, those video's.

Given the video you posted I thought the single video I left in my post complemented each other, and backed up his ability to make salient observations, confirming his Cigar smoker observations. :D

KY_BULLET and Fishon like this.