NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No one has been attacked by their "own" party in this manner. I mentioned that it took place from the outset, because this really demonstrates what we all really know is true: DC won't accept a non-establishment candidate. That, is not good for any of us. Let's not confuse this reality with something else we we all really know is true, which is just how un-presidential Trump is.

I other news -I've watched the video. There is nothing inherently racist about it. Sad that so many mistakenly believe that simply uttering certain words constitutes as much. It's clear that these are "brothers", and that they are engaging in the typical frat boy stupidity. I can much better accept this than the abusive hazing we've seen on occasion.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...after-extremely-racist-video-surfaces-n867401

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Washington has been a mess since LBJ, and the pre-emptive pardoning of Richard Nixon by Gerald Ford.

3. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Politicians being politicians -old as time itself. However, never have we seen the partisan wrangling progress to the point where both parties were so universally willing to set fire to vital institutions while completely abandon the idea of productive discourse and cooperation. This is recent, and the departure is a marked one.

Fishon likes this.
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

No one has been attacked by their "own" party in this manner. ;)
    And if you recall the primaries, he was the one leading in the attacks, and when it was too late, the others followed. So now he's the victim? :confused:

Donald Trump keeps attacking fellow Republicans

He can't have it both ways. What may have been popular to a segment of the population in earning him votes, certainly has cost him in working relationships within Washington. No, he'll have to propel other like minded politicians in to office if he wants to form a majority Trump coalition.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  5. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    There's an enormous difference between the campaign trail and the oval office. And again, you're missing the point because I believe you're mistaken if you think the whores on the hill would take a different approach with any candidate equally as anti-establishment.

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Repost

I agree with all you said except this over simplified statement above. First, I'd say it does have precedence and that would be how they treated Obama. Jimmy Carter 'the peanut farmer' also comes to mind. So to what degree should the mountain move for the individual or visa versa? Trump has no experience with politics and his cabinet is thin in this area as well, along with a constant influx. Taking Reagan for example as someone who did it right, he articulated his message (on whatever legislation) to the people, winning over the majority, then worked Congress. Obama was short on this as well as to not pick up the phone and schmooze/work the issues to build these relationships. But at least Obama was knowledgeable about his legislation, where Trump is ignorant in this area by all definitions. He's attacked his own party, cabinet, and government workers like never before. Demands loyalty but does not give it in return. He is a man of poor character and lies and demeans constantly. So what do you expect- the mountain to move for him?

7. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    None of those were anti-establishment.

EDIT: No one who isn't bought and paid for (in full) is even getting close to a nomination these days. Trump caught lightening in a bottle because he had is own money, a household name, and campaigned upon the backdrop of the mess Obama created.

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    True dat. I can see this both ways. On the other hand, if he had high approval ratings and they thought they could ride his coattails to re-election, they would quickly be changing their tune. They'll go any way the wind blows. However, they don't seem to think so:

List of U.S. Congress incumbents who are not running for re-election in 2018

Trump declared he's running again. Many Republicans aren't ready to back him.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    So lets turn it around as ask ourselves who Trump accepts? Besides Mike Pence, (now) Ted Cruz, Sean Hannity, and Lou Dobbs, who exactly is not considered 'the swamp'? Democrats, Republicans, the media, government appointees and judges (including ones he's put into office), his own cabinet members, or anyone who is not in lock step with him is all too conveniently called 'the swamp'.. Serious question, who is considered acceptable?

10. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    That's an excellent question, one which I'll say is absolutely vital to find an answer to before the next presidential election. However, I personally am not going to use Trump as a barometer.