NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's conditioned ignorance, because they have no clue what the hell they are talking about. Do you honestly think anyone in Congress or among the voters who didn't already sign off on the message was in any way swayed or influenced? The joke is on the kids, because they answer is no. I guess if nothing else, it's preparing quite effectively to take part in the ridiculousness on college campuses these days, where students still struggle to calculate a political science 2+2 but act as though the world should listen as if they're Winston freaking Churchill reincarnate. :vbbiggrin: One of the most harmful aspects of the current paradigm is the fact that platforms are demanded and accessible without any sort of merit whatsoever. I can assure you, despite what's forwarded on those campuses, nothing could be further from the true vision and foundation of Constitutional Republic.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Feel My Heart

Reputations:
    Yeah, I remember plenty of stupid things my school did when I was in K-12, including school assemblies (mainly to support the school's football/basketball/etc teams). Still think they were silly wastes of time, though at least they fall under the purview of what a K-12 school is supposed to do.

And I think I already said that the students doing their political march on their own time, outside of school, without help from the school is just fine with me (it's no different than skipping class). What I'm not fine with is (public) schools getting involved with politics in this way, even under the "matter of keeping them safe" excuse (that's the job of police and other professional security, not educators).

Here's the thing that I think is being misunderstood here wrt school safety: like society at large, schools are amazingly safe places these days, and certainly a lot safer than when you went to school and probably even safer than when I went to school (in the 90s and 00s). That people think that safety is falling apart and that the world is collapsing around them because of a few extremely rare situations is an almost-laughable overreaction. So if that's the underlying concern, you'd think that the students/activists/etc would put their efforts to better use? Maybe march for something that will actually impact their experiences in school, such as helping teachers earn more appropriate salaries for their work? But continuing on this path, all I see is a sad disappointment within those kids once they realize that their walkouts are essentially for naught. But I guess you're correct in that it's a value lesson in civics ;)

Kyle likes this.
  3. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Wow. Everyone is getting all serious and here I am worry about if this Chinese hoverboard I got is going to catch fire whilst it charges. It hasn't but it still hasn't finished charging yet...

I also have to provide a supplemental statement to University of California to explain the 9 year gap between junior college enrollments.

And 2 midterms this week. Back to back. :confused:

I read it the EXACT same way.

Fishon, hmscott and killkenny1 like this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead Feel My Heart

Reputations:
    Looks like the Current Events thread leaked out into the open :)

Fishon and hmscott like this.
  5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

radji and hmscott like this.
  6. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Man, I miss engineering...

Kyle likes this.
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    So you see them as just a bunch of spoiled, stupid, ignorant, clueless, whinny, demanding to be heard without merit sorts. I think I covered all of your bases. o_O

I do feel elected politicians can be swayed by a large protest. The protest is an event onto itself- beyond the issue being protested. Unless you go down the rabbit hole of they're all the same and they never listen to their constituencies. I mean, they don't, until they feel the pressure of the possibility of losing an election because of it. If ignoring these people means losing at the ballot box, they care. I'm plenty jaded with the system we have as well. With gerrymandering and with the polarization of the left and right- meaning they vote in almost absolute sync to party lines like never before, I get it. But there are politicians in swing states and in certain vulnerable political positions where we do see them break from rank. A large protest can also fire up a voting group and voting blocks, organizing, and monies can follow. It's why the right was so vocal in their displeasure and came down so hard on this.

Yeah, but you'll make more money now that you're in sales. :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. killkenny1

Reputations:
    I'm not in sales.

9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    What now then?

[​IMG] :D

Kyle likes this.
  10. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Meh, still better than being a salesman...

Kyle and Fishon like this.