NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    There's nothing that isn't cynical when it comes to politics. Everyone has their agenda and they have their not-so-ethical ways of going about it, to say nothing about the selfish nature of politics.

2. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm now really bothered by HP's atrocious forum. Kept myself logged in but it still logs me out and now they can't let me back on because my username is invalid? I just registered and verified my account...

And to add, my "new" HP Elitebook 8470p doesn't have switchable graphics like HP claimed it has, so there's that too. Trying to fix it but to no avail (don't think I'll be able to Hackintosh at all) it just doesn't see it in BIOS either. Either HP removed it without notice or something hacky must be done for it to work.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Remember, the same people who are encouraging these walkouts want to lower the voting age to 16.

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Certainly no drawbacks to that whatsoever /s.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    You're saying they're ill equipped to come to their own conclusion. (Never mind for the moment that you feel they should be studying during school time, and lets focus on HS aged students.) So, I'll ask for you to comment on my point about religion. If you feel this way about politics, then naturally, you feel the same about religious affiliations or any sort of conclusion that there is a god?

The cynicism is real. ;)

The political landscape is littered with politicians who come into the system with a good amount of ideological purity, and come out the other end something completely different. In some ways I think young adults have this purity of reason; without the selfish nature as Jarhead states many adults possess, along with not having been jaded by the political and media industrial complex.

And as Itchy states, it's a start and democracy needs to be participatory. Myself, I volunteer worked the phones for Gerald Ford as a freshman in HS. This got me interested and aware of politics. Shifted left, but I participated nonetheless. I really do not see what all the fuss is about the protest, and aside from voting, it's a pure form of political expression and should not be discouraged in any way. The issue hit directly at the students, and there are various issues and opinions (beyond the issue of guns) about what should, and should not be done about it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Wait, I never implied or claimed that kids were selfless. They’re just as selfish as adults are.

Personally, my issue isn’t the kids going around and voicing their political opinions; if they want to believe that our political process actually works, that’s their prerogative.

My issue is that there are schools/teachers/etc that are encouraging and/or participating in this political stunt, especially public schools. I’m sure you’d be annoyed/upset if public schools were doing the same with regard to religion, correct?

7. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I won't say that this is apples and oranges, but it's definitely not apples and apples either. Politics and government are sciences, and the competencies needed for effective engagement are easily identifiable. Faith involves other, pointedly non-scientific elements and abstractions. The reason I won't say apples and oranges in regard to those elements which may be common to both the religious and political spheres, is because there are few exceptions where I wouldn't hold the same opinion.

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    ;)

So you feel it was a stunt? Interesting choice of words. At the end of the day I suppose everyone is going to see what they want from this. A group of you here feel it as though it was institutionally instigated, it seems to me it was originally thought of and proposed by students. Not saying they didn't have help or that adults had nothing to do with it. Easy to lay claim that any organized protest is not organic, and coming from whatever factions that may gain from it politically Cynical thinking in my mind, however, that no movement can be from the heart.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    To be perfectly fair, it’s a better effort than armchair activism on Facebook and other internet platforms. However, the only practical value I can figure from this is more airtime for the issue and for the students to have 15 minutes of fame on TV.

And of course the kids would probably need adult help to start their march and walkout. What I’m saying though is that a government employee such as a public school teacher or administrator shouldn’t be involved with political movements that the students engage in. If they want adult help, they should look towards their parents and/or political activists outside of the school. To draw a parallel with religion, I wouldn’t want a school to support a Christian “payer in schools” activity while also asking non-Christian students to move to a designated spot while those activities take place. Both situations are inappropriate given the environment they’re taking place in, and being okay with one while rejecting the other seems hypocritical.

You go to school to receive an education, not to engage in political/religious activism. We have more appropriate organizations which can aid in that sort of activity: political parties, activism organizations, churches, etc. To have a non-aligned student have to have their education disrupted because of these sort of inappropriate activities is a pretty terrible thing, imo.

10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Public outcry, especially through public protests, is second only to voting. It's the strongest message we can offer to the people we vote into office in between elections. It sends a clear message to our elected officials that they will pay a political price come next elections. What else is more effective or what do you suggest people do?

Reading a couple of articles, it's my understanding the teachers did not condone the event and had nothing to do with it. The kids were going to do it, so it was a matter of keeping them safe and the question of any sort of punishment if they did. Most schools decided not to punish.

It was a walkout to put the issue of school safety in the forefront. Obviously politics is a part of this, but as I mentioned before, the issue is school safety. Subjects including campus security measures, mental heath, teen outreach, institutionalization, and guns.

...to have their education disrupted because of these sort of inappropriate activities is a pretty terrible thing, imo

Come on now. An hour 'lost' for something like this, which is also a lesson/act in civil participation. The vast majority wanted to do this. It obviously touched a chord. It lasted for less than an hour. Certainly you remember all the stupid things we were taken out of class for- assemblies and the like. You sound like one of dem snowflakes saying it's soooo terrible. :oops: