NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Certainly it doesn't make sense to me to allow 18 year olds into the military and have them sign up for selective services, but not be allowed to purchase a firearm until they're 21 (many mass shooters have also been over 21, so I'm not even convinced it would be much of a preventive). Some of this mixing and matching with "legal ages" should be made a bit more consistent.

I'm 21 now so I can do everything except rent a car, I guess.

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    What? Isn't it just an additional charge if you're under 25? You can still rent one.

3. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've honestly never tried. It's just something I heard, that 25 was the "last milestone".

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    In some states/localities, it is true that you can’t rent under 25, but generally speaking you can, but as Fishon points out it would be horribly expensive to do so.

I’m just about to turn 25 in May and have a trip to Texas planned for July, so thankfully I don’t have to be hit with young driver fees :)

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Also, the best to you over the weekend. No idea what condition your cat is currently in, but if you give him a last meal, may I suggest a serving of bay shrimp. Kept my gf's cat for awhile I learned he went crazy over those.

6. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :confused:

<. . . not gettimg involved here. . .not getting involved here. . .not getting involved>

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

8. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Drunken antics usually go hand in hand with firearm behavior or bad diving anyways...sometime at the and time. Your from the south. You should know this.

You can rent a car once your 18 in California. It's the less evolved states that have age restrictions.

And the conscription age requirement hasn't been updated in over a century. So not a fair comparison unless w want to go back to living in the prohibition/suffrage/segregation era.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    You'd be surprised how the urban areas are around here. But yeah, certainly in the boondocks you'd see that sort of stuff often enough to be worried.

There's a pretty good reason why car rental agencies would limit/prohibit young adult drivers from their rentals. The accident rate for drivers 18-25 is pretty high, so one way to counter that would be to either charge more for that group of people (similar to how car insurance for 18-25 year olds is higher than 26+) or they could simply not rent to those people (saving them the hassle of dealing with the issue). Those areas that treat 18-25 year olds the same as 26+ year olds without the rate increases are still paying more for those drivers (especially in terms of car damage) and are either not passing any of those costs to the customers (doubtful) or spreading that cost among all of their customers regardless of age.

Young people suck at driving. It's about as simple as that :)

10. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :twitchy: