NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Yes indeed. I'm fairly certain you're not implying I did that.
    _________

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Oh no. Just pointing out it's just as wrong for Gabrielgvs' example to be infringed on as it is for your example to be infringed on.

3. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's always going to be an LCD to appeal to, but I don't see in value in doing so.

Policing issues may be a concern (or not), but these do not suffiently inform the rapidly increasing willingness of some of your counterparts to suppress the open exchange of ideas. It won't end well -promise.

4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Agree. The value one could find is pushing a boundary. Provokes thought, but also intended to provoke. And sometime that's needed.

No question the left is currently responsible and behind most of this, and frankly, I'm embarrassed by it. Disapprove of what you have to say, but defend to the death your right to say it- and all of that. Now choosing my words carefully, it's not a 'but', however, we do also understand there are some speakers/talking heads (or whatever you want to call them) that are not out for a real discussion, but to antagonize and provoke, pure and simple. Just making a career of exploiting the media as it is today- where the most extreme viewpoints get the most attention. So suppressing the open exchange of ideas is not really what's going on in some of these cases. Still, even the KKK has the right to assemble.

5. Kittys

Kittys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the last week my wifis been dissapearing at around 3am and I kept power cycling router slowly getting more and more angry at how this could be happening.

...turns out I set a rule in asus-wrt for it to cycle between 3am-3:05am to reboot itself while nobody would notice and I completely forgot I did such a thing. Played myself hard and its making me mad.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    radji likes this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    So he was punished for not participating in a political activity, for or against the walkouts? Lovely...

Fishon likes this.
  8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    :confused: Uh, read the second link provided- you don't even have to click on it. There was a designated area with supervision for non protestors, however, he wanted to be by himself and you can't have an unsupervised kid in a classroom. These are the classic fake news type stories going around. You have to bother to scratch the surface and go beyond a narrative.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, the thing I'm confused about is why there was a designated spot in the first place. Actually, why was school stopped at all (assuming it was, which is my impression from the article)? If some of the kids want to walk out and do political stuff, that's their deal, but don't interrupt the people who don't want to bother with it / people who are trying to do their jobs.

The main quotes I see in the article sums up my issue fairly well:

and

...the latter quote seeming to be thinly-veiled BS.

----------

That all said, I love the irony of a school punishing a student for not leaving school by making him leave school.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:

Pressuring students to pick a side
    . lol It was a practical matter where the students decided to protest, going to the quad or whatever while the non protestors went to another area- both needing to be supervised. Obviously the teachers can't be in the classroom at the same time. It's just an attempt to further the narrative that students are being indoctrinated by the liberal academia and forced to protest, when this was not the case. He wasn't suspended for failing to protest, just for his decision not to go where the other non protesting students were told to go. But that's not a news worthy story is it?