NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Thanks, and it’s a similar situation here. Got mine from a shelter back when he was a (tiny) kitten and now he’s 17-18

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    The two things that Trump has touched, the tax cuts and now trade, the financial markets have punished him for it.

3. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would be genuinely surprised if it came to fruition. I'm more apt to believe he's just running his mouth, as is his habit. But look at how happy he made Dianne Feinstein yesterday, doing just that. :vbbiggrin:

upload_2018-3-2_12-26-18.png

slimmolG likes this.
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Been very connected to the news about this and I've yet to hear anyone say it will not go through, although you may be right.

Dianne Feinstein. The Dems in Cali didn't endorse her because she's not lib enough apparently. A big mistake IMO- but I believe in a moderate and compromising platform.

5. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Because then it would be a non-story. There are so many big players who stand to lose so much, it's difficult to see it happening. I feel like at this point in the Monopoly game that is globalism, we'd be approaching JFK territory.
    I believe in a lawful platform consistent with the 2nd Amendment. Let's fix the laundry list of actual causal factors.

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    That might be the case in the general media, but not the dry and boring money managers and others I listen to. They're about trying to get it right, and have nothing to do with telling or not telling a story.And this is what their viewers want which is the key.

Agree with dealing with the causal factors but this opens up some issues too. Under Ronald Reagan we changed the law to where it's almost impossible to institutionalize a person if they do not want to be. Do we start going down that road making it easier for the society to institutionalize someone? There's talk about a teenager emotional stability test. As a society we need to report these things more often, but who will be swept into this who's perfectly innocent?

Second Amendment rights: What constitutes a 'for the betterment/need of/for society' whereby we know a strict reading of a constitutional right is being violated, but still it's done. Take for example the boarder patrol stops we have on your highway here in town. 4th amendment violation as the Supreme Court states, so they limit it to 15 minutes. Boarder Patrol is allowed to go onto private property within 100 miles of the boarder without a search warrant. A constitutional violation but it's deemed 'reasonable for the betterment/needed of/for society'. Cali. wants to have a waiting period and Thomas blasted the decision in a dissenting comment. Trump wasn't to make it 21 years of age to buy a gun. Are these reasonable or constitutional violations? And having ID to vote. Constitutionally guaranteed so is this a reasonable requirement or does this get in the way of one's rights. Fun stuff.

7. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    I think I've mentioned this before, but it would absolutely horrify some people to learn of the frequency with which some families are unable to access institutional help when desperately needed, even in cases where authorities are in the loop on multiple homicide attempts. We're failing miserably on this.

I'll say this -if we're going to hold an 18 year old legally accountable for their own behavior, they should have access to ALL their legal rights, including guns and alcohol. Personally, I feel like in our society 18 is too young. I'd move all these things to 21 based on a reasonable assessment of current development. I do not at all support illegal searches, which is exactly how I would characterize those. If we take care of our business, it's unnecessary.

Jarhead likes this.
  8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Concerning age, it just amazes me that we’re allowed to legally enter into contracts, work hazardous jobs, use tobacco, and join the military but are not allowed to drink alcohol until 21.

9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Yet they still do, and while driving too, leading to such a high percentage of accidents and deaths.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Hence why I’m personally more worried about drunk driving (and traffic accidents in general) than firearm stuff.

bennyg and Fishon like this.