]]>

NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    No, it's about lifting sanctions for a foreign adversary as a quid pro quo for doing so.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead I Seek You

Reputations:
    Eh, so why should an Average Joe care? Doesn't seem to do much to help/hurt whatever domestic concerns people have.

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

4. Jarhead

Jarhead I Seek You

Reputations:
    Basically, that sort of stuff is really only important to Russia herself, those (wanting to) do business with her, and those who obsess over politics as a hobby. It does nothing to bring free healthcare to Joe Average, or to help with his issues on illegal immigration, or to change how politics works (see the failures of Obama’s “Change” promise and Trump’s “Drain the Swamp” promise).

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    As I kind of stated before, I totally get this, and a certain level you're absolutely correct. The system has been hijacked to a point where we can only effect some minor changes around the edges. I will say the Citizens United decision by the conservative courts was the worst decision in my lifetime. I assume the founding fathers had the idea of one vote, one person, but the decision to equate money with free speech has made a perversion of this concept. But hey, nothing to stop you from contributing as much as you wish as well. And if you're on a board of a corporation , you can decide to lobby and contribute to the causes that benefit you as well. Nothing to stop you from doing this, so all is well! And here is my good buddy Dwight who started to run for a local Republican congressional seat (until the well funded Jeff Stone entered the race). Democracy is participatory. And yes, I have conservative friends. lol

https://www.desertsun.com/story/new...-announces-candidacy-on-desert-tour/76685092/

http://www.kesq.com/home/dwight-kealy-to-run-against-congressman-ruiz/62904593

If enough 'outsiders' get voted in, then the system can change. It's obviously what makes Trump popular. You just need enough 'outsiders' willing to work with the other 'outsiders'. And that's up to your fellow voters, however, they seem to prefer the incumbents who bring home the bacon.

Not equating the two, but with your thinking, Watergate was nothing since it had no direct effect on the people either.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Gabrielgvs likes this.
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead I Seek You

Reputations:
    I'd agree. It was politicians doing what politicians do best, though it didn't help much on ending the war to bring back fathers and sons, didn't do much for civil rights, didn't help much to integrate schools, etc.

Certainly was an interesting read in history class though ;)

7. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Definitely up there.

Agree here as well.

8. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Got into a car accident today. Not my fault. No one was hurt.

But G-D DAMMIT! :realmad:

9. Jarhead

Jarhead I Seek You

Reputations:
    Well sh*t, at least you guys are okay.

10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    What the hell is this, Mozilla?!?
    upload_2018-2-4_16-2-38.png

Jarhead and Fishon like this.