NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    So this will be what, your 152nd time you're leaving NBR?
    :p:D

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    But that was for mod reasons and fringe players here before. It's become systemic, and frankly I've become tired of this group. A slew of fact threads were no one comments or even reads (wall-o- text)- out of bounds for anything less serious. And all the rest is full of frivolities where no one wants to ever be serious or thoughts ever tested, aka, a safe zone.

Gabrielgvs and killkenny1 like this.
  3. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Had one of those heated wire/fan space heaters. Inefficient but they don't really have much of a warm up time so they're ready to go almost instantly. Pulled it from storage so I could heat my workspace in the garage. Ran for two minutes, then I heard a pop. The wire broke.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    lol I saw recently where you were told by an OP that your post was not proper for his thread, but least it was handled in a gentlemen like manner. I just don't understand where an OP gets to thinking it's their thread, and they are the gatekeepers. Any thread should be open for all, for anyone to post as they see fit. If someone replies with something more serious, humorous, off color, or tongue and cheek than the original intent, who the heck cares- it's content, and content is participation and should not be dissuaded. After all, this is the Off Topic section of NBR, more free form here, where going off topic in another part of the forum would not be appropriate. For me, I had an OP run to the mods because I didn't keep it serious, and yesterday I had someone blow up on me because of some comments. I stood my ground, but I also extended and olive branch, even when I felt I did nothing wrong. Result? They had the tread removed (took their ball home with them). I find this very immature behavior, but I'm the one that's perceived to be rocking the boat, so I've jumped ship. Couple weeks short of eight years here at NBR. Disappointing to say the least.

Jarhead likes this.
  6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Off Topic in this forum means discussion not related to notebooks. It's not a license to post whatever you want, wherever you want.

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    If that's what you feel I've been doing, then good riddance to me.

8. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    And yet you are still here :p:D

9. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what you walked away with from his post? :biglaugh: Sounds like the experience you're after is identical to social media, where you can post meaningless, arbitrary BS all day long within your own private echo chamber. A forum represents something entirely different, and far more public. Then again, maybe the entire point for some is protected social isolation. So very sad.

radji likes this.
  10. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what changed recently. The demise of the Current Events thread was an obvious sign to me that this site is not intended for "heavy discussion" (cf. to MacRumors which has a dedicated political sub-forum) and that happened a long time ago. A similar situation has presented itself on another forum I frequent. As soon as anything gets political or religious or heated in any way, the thread is locked.

As for an OP getting their "knickers in a twist" because their thread isn't going the way they intended, I agree that that's too bad for them, especially in the Off-Topic section. It's one thing if a person is asking for computer help and all they are getting is snarky unhelpful responses, but in the OT section, they should be prepared for anyone to comment (and expect that the comments may not all be of one kind). Providing, of course, that the comments are not abusive or in violation of the site rules.

(I saw the thread in question that got removed. While I found the direction the thread was taking odd considering its intended purpose, I didn't think it was grounds for removal. At the same time, I understand what it's like to post a thread and then regret it).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Jarhead likes this.