NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, it's always a gamble - exciting to play with and see what you can receive given the limitations. The directions to broadcast towers info from your GPS location should give you a good idea of what's a clear shot and what is blocked.

You've gotta find a cut through the hills to the best reception, given the obstacles it can be iffy, one house picks up fine and another a couple of hundred feet away, not so much.

The last URL, the indoor / outdoor one might be worth a try, since it's Amazon you can return it easily, and comments say they use it indoors and outdoors, even 4 ft off the ground. All you need to do is have a clear shot over the fences to see the signal, so a 20' pole may not be necessary.

Depending on your direction from the towers, if you have a clear shot toward the highest concentration of stations the Omni Directional one should work great, or use a fixed position directional antenna, they are even cheaper.

The 360' rotational ones with stronger directional gain at such a low price you could replace them every couple of years when they wear out and still save ton's of $ off cable bills :)

This one looks interesting too:

ANTOP AT-414B UFO 360 Degree Smartpass Amplified Outdoor/Attic HD TV Antenna with Built-in 4G LTE Filter-55/65 Mile Long Range Omnidirectional Home/RV TV Antenna - 33ft Coaxial Cable-4K UHD Ready
    https://www.amazon.com/ANTOP-AT-414B-Smartpass-Amplified-Omnidirectional/dp/B01CTY6VW0

Comments were enlightening, apparently outdoor LED lighting can interfere with certain OTA stations:
    Product Ok if you do not use LED lights which cause interference
    By Matt horganon February 6, 2017
    Verified Purchase
    I would have given this a higher rating as the product is performing ok, but I am really disappointed with Antop customer service. When I first installed the antenna I had great reception on all local channels during the day, but at night one of my local VHF channels would suddenly drop from excellent strength of signal/reception to nothing. This happened for several days and I then contacted the broadcast station via email. They responded to me immediately, which actually surprise me, and confirmed I should have a very strong signal where I am located. They told me this antenna performed well for UHF but not as well for VHF stations and suggested what they deemed to be a better alternative. Using a customer service email address from Antop's web site I sent them an email and explained, but did not receive a response.

Several days later, after scouring the web for similar issues, I found a post claiming they had this exact thing happen and found their LED landscape lights were causing it. I then found posts for others saying this is a frequent issue with LED lights in general, that the electronics emit RF interference which causes reception issues. This made sense as I have outdoor landscape lights controlled by dusk to dawn sensors. Sure enough, the instant the lights switch on I lose the signal. I have shut the light completely and have not had a problem since, but that is not an acceptable long-term solution.

I sent another email to Antop with this information assuming I was not the first of their customers to run into this issue as I was able to find evidence on multiple online forums.

I have not received a response from Antop on either email, although they were quick to send me an email asking me to post a review on Amazon if I was happy with the product.

As to the product itself, I was initially concerned as it is very light so I wondered about durability, but time will tell on this. I am receiving about 30 stations and the reception is very good. I have not had any issues to date with reception at all, except as described above. It mounts and connects easily. In my case I mounted the antenna at the highest point of the roof on my two-story home using the plastic mounting bracket and not the pole mount kit. The coax was of sufficient length to meet my installation needs.

Recommendations for product improvements:
    The coax is not the highest quality. It would be nice if it came with RG6 cable and better easy-twist connectors. Connecting and disconnecting the included cable to the bottom of the antenna was a bit of a pain. The boot on the one end, however, which seats in a groove around the connection, is a nice feature as it provides some additional protection from the elements.

The mounting bracket itself is ok, but the hardware to mount the antenna to the bracket is small and not very robust. Better hardware here would be welcomed.

Would I recommend this to others? If you don't have and don't expect to use LED lights I would. If that is the case, at this time I would not. If there is a reasonable solution to this issue I would then change my mind.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Well, I guess there are some advantages to living in Eastern Europe - living standards aren't the highest ones, but the Internet is pretty cheap - €7/month without any limitations or other crap. Plus no one gives a crap about piracy here (yet), so it makes certain things even cheaper :D

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Legend S

Reputations:
    ****ing God Damn kidney stones...

4. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Seller on Aliexpress screwed me on a sale by giving me a dud tracking number.

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Are you sure he just hasn't delivered the package to the shipper? I get "invalid" tracking numbers all the time, picked off the form by the sender, which don't show up until logged into the system - still not shipped - then it eventually shows up and the fun begin's.

It could also be a typo on their part... hope so for you :)

6. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've placed a dispute because of the invalid tracking number. I'm currently covering my bases.

I may end up selling the P870DM-G in the future if I intend to move to Canada. The laptop is cool but way too heavy for me to lug onto the plane as it'll go over the carry on limit. So a P650HS-G might be a good laptop to get until I settle into Canada.

But that's still a good 6 months from finding out if I've been approved and another 5 till I have enough money to go to live on while in Canada.

hmscott likes this.
  7. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Me madre decided to sideswipe a wall with her car. The front passenger side is pretty scraped up and the front bumper cover is all cracked. Surprised the passenger side mirror is still in tact. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    So I'm riding to work, on the freeway, minding my own business when I look down at my instruments and see something move on the triple tree. Then as I'm watching (while trying to keep one eye on the road) this freaking centipede climbs up onto my tank and just sits there on my gas cap like "What are you going to do?". What I did was squish it, but now I can't stop thinking there are more and my bike is full of centipedes. I hate centipedes.

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    So you're saying the bug spray didn't help?

10. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Oh the hornets are dead. But they were in the backyard. No idea where the centipede came from. Which means my house may be full of centipedes too.

New plan, take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.