NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Eh, would still rather have cheaper tickets than a reduction in overbooking. :)

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tickets are no cheaper now then when I was originally asked to give up my seat, and respectfully declined.

Corporations use that lie, we are making it cheaper, while not telling you who gets the cost savings. Not you, in case you were wondering.

They use the cost savings to push up profitability. Improve their stock price, and improve their payout to investors so the "board" keeps them in their job.

We continually get less, and what is taken is given to others, not us.

3. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ***But***, you can bet that if the FAA requires an increase in compensation for booting people, that's exactly the excuse which will be used when fares increase.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Or we could refer back to the Wendover Productions video I posted sometime ago that helps explain why airline tickets are cheap now and why they'd go up in price even without the FAA's help ;).

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    As a percentage the 475k / year bumps are an incredibly small fraction of the number of passengers, and those higher compensation limits will pay out even less often, it's not going to make a difference.

What I do hope to have included in the rules, is the removal of "involuntary" bumps.

The increased incentives should be more than enough to balance the loads, without inconveniencing people with involuntary bumps.

Where it will matter is that with the added incentives there will be far fewer violent aborted endings to flights :)

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    My favorite comment:

Phynub 24 points 1 month ago
    "Really blows my mind that you continue to make aviation videos yet 90% of them are completely wrong and far fetched.

Once again you failed to talk about the key unit in any airline, revenue management - you act as if there is only one fare for a specific class (economy/business/first).

You claim to do research but do you actually read theses on revenue management, consult current airline employees in RM departments or even look at a paper written by Dr. Peter Belobaba a legend in the industry?"
    https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/5zct7z/the_economics_of_airline_class_wendover/

The Economics of Airline Class [Wendover Productions]
    "I work for a major airline in revenue management and this is basically spot on. I would say that now a days business travelers is more 70/30, instead of 80/20. Also, this was the economics of a legacy airline, airlines like Ryan Air, Spirit, Frontier, etc... these airlines are very different in how they make money. They do not target business travelers they target leisure travelers and rely on ancillary revenue rather then ticket prices. I feel like that could be a good vid to do as well for aviation videos if you need ideas. Anyway, great vid, you earned yourself a sub!"

With so many revenue options, screwing passengers involuntarily out of their paid seating isn't the best way to do it.

Happily seated passengers making it to their destination should be the primary goal of the Airlines, since that's what we all expect when buying a ticket.

7. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Can always count on you for good news, thanks. :vbbiggrin:

I understand, but that's why it's called an excuse. Sort of like when the price at the pump goes up because the 2nd cousin of some guy's neighbor who thought he heard a news story somewhere was overheard talking about how supply could potentially be interrupted if a storm were development sometime next week in the Gulf of Mexico and might possibly come near some random oil rig and BAM!! +.29 cents.

I don't see how that's possible as long as the FAA allows overbooking.

I didn't realize this was a "thing". We've got short memories. For better or worse, it'll be something else next week.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    In other news, United stock seems to have stabilize and isn't really decreasing much anymore. Apparently the Average Joe's outrage can only last roughly a week at best :eek:...

hmscott likes this.
  9. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    With competition nipping at their heel's the "excuse" thing won't "fly" :)

Competition keeps them all scraping the barrel for $, so if the FAA puts the rules up, it'll be business as usual. Actual costs only apply.
    It's a fine but important distinction, "involuntary" vs "voluntary" both are only put "before boarding", after boarding, there is only "voluntary".

The FAA doesn't need to delegitimize "overbooking", it only needs to protect passengers from "involuntary" bumping.

By increasing the limits for compensation - those are spelled out in the FAA / ATC descriptions - the need for "involuntary" bumping before boarding should be removed.
    Of course it's a thing, it's now an important thing in the minds of billions of people, and it won't get forgotten, it will get the attention it needs to be resolved.