NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I've been warned 50% of the students who take PHYS230 don't pass the first time around.

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Just don't let yourself be intimidated and you'll be alright :vbthumbsup:

Convel, radji and hmscott like this.
  3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    As hinted at previously, US university/college numbering systems are out of whack. Closest that I've taken to radji's physics class was PHYS 221 and 223 (the lab). But we switched systems recently and now they're 2210 and 2230 (old system attached an L to the class number to indicate the class's lab, but new system is numeric-only so -0 is the class and -1 is the lab, though not all labs used the -L before...).

4. killkenny1

Reputations:
    We got those too, for official purposes, but for everything else boring names like "Physics" are used for general usage.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, I was more referring to the numbering rather than the naming of subjects like physics. It makes it a real PITA when you want to transfer credits between universities (assuming that you're allowed to do so in the first place).

6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I won't. Given it's a 200 level class, I know it's not an entry level and will require more than just showing up to earn a decent grade.

For the 100 level STEM classes, the lab is considered a separate course. Such as last semester, I had General Chemistry, 110 & 110L. For 200's and above...in California...the lab grade is built into the lecture course grade. So when you enroll in a 200 level STEM, you have to enroll in the lab, but it's not considered a separate class like the lower level STEM courses. My college is starting to apply said principals to the lower level STEM courses. This semester, all Physics courses will be just the singe lecture course, with the lab work and grade being considered an included part of the lecture work. Therefore there is only one Physics class and Physics grade on your record for the semester. And as a little bonus, if you don't pass the lab, you automatically don't pass the lecture.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My mother has had the same issue with her Lumia 928 and with my old Lumia 928 multiple times in the past few months. Her phone will go completely unresponsive and requires a forced reset (holding down on the volume down, power, and camera buttons) to bring it back to life. What's worse is that the battery dies when this happens because she doesn't know that it happens. I ordered her a Motorola Droid Mini to replace the Lumia 928 and selected the $19.99 shipping option to have it here by today at noon. What does Verizon do? Flag the order for fraud and now I need to call to confirm the order. Of course, I find out about this at 3:30AM on the day that the phone was supposed to arrive. So I'm just going to take my mom to the Verizon store, get her some sort of replacement, and cancel the order for the Droid Mini.

8. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Chillax, dude, you'll be fine. Just take some of your pills and calm down.

radji, hmscott and Jarhead like this.
  9. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "On FedEx vehicle for delivery, scheduled for delivery next business day"

I know, first word problems, but still sucks knowing its only 30 miles away sitting on a tuck and I have to wait until Monday.

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's possible to call Fedex and ask them to hold the package at the Truck's depot for pickup.

Then you can drive over after the truck unloads around 4pm-5pm, then the depot is usually open till 7pm-8pm, and pick it up today after work :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    HTWingNut likes this.