NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I took a look over them awhile ago and was generally happy with those questions. I'll admit that I completely skipped over the chemistry, since I'm completely brain-dead when it comes to that much to my dismay; I just had a difficult time Getting It throughout high school and university sadly.

A lot of the General Paper questions got my philosophy juices pumping, and 500-800 words seems completely reasonable. Are they timed though? I didn't see anything on the sheets about that.

6 and 7 stumped me a bit, since it's been awhile since I'd done that sort of math, though the rest are things I remember doing a lot in high school AP/IB :). Sadly, neither of the high schools I went to offered statistics, so that was something I had to learn on my own (though it's a required class at my university thankfully). Figure that it should be a mandatory high school class, in relation to my previous post.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Then what's the federal government for? Leave it to individual states and you're bound to have a mess of varying standards that are incompatible with one another. Some better, some a lot worse and many would be just floating in the doldrums.

Ah, don't worry about that. :) All my chemistry knowledge has been leaking out of my head ever since I completed my exams, and I can only just recall the important things, not the minute details.

Yep, 1 and a half hours for one essay. Choose just one question out of the twelve. As you might have inferred - I did number 10.

Indeed, stats ought to be mandatory. I look at the world in a wholly different way now after doing statistics. I've got economics questions, too, if you want them. I took the General Paper, physics, chemistry, mathematics and economics.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Hmm, out of those I'd probably go for 8. I have a bone to pick with school districts that drop a ton of cash on iPads and expect the devices to automagically make kids smart :p. If you feel like scanning the economics questions, I'd be curious to see what that's got in store; the only formal economics exposure I have is with basic micro- and marco-economics.

-----

The Feds do a fair number of helpful things for the Average Joe (though usually at some costs, politically-speaking). For example, the Interstate system gets a large part of its funding from them (it was a Cold War era ballistic missile superhighway, afterall), but the Feds impose strict (and imo silly) rules as to how they are policed (slow speed limits for one). If you're poor, a lot of welfare comes from it, and there's Medicare/Medicaid (large sums of money from Feds, though it's on average 40/60-ish split between that and the state). Anything having to do with interstate commerce or laws (or criminals travelling between states) is entirely on them. In a few states and counties, such as mine, voting is heavily regulated (Section 5 of the VRA). Obviously any sort of national defense or border control. You can get federal student loans for university, both subsidized and unsubsidized (basically, interest is deferred until graduation for the first, and not for the second). A lot of environmental protection falls on them. Can't really think of much else since I'm just a 3AM zombie right now.

Personally, I don't find it too hard to imagine why it works the way it does. Each state basically rivals European nations and some smaller Asian nations in terms of population and/or land area, so trying to have a unified policy for *anything* with over 300 million people in agreement (with numerous philosophies, beliefs, priorities, etc.) is damn near impossible without something draconian like martial law to enforce it. It probably doesn't help that our political system at a national level has been (for better or worse) condensed into two massive mega-parties rather than a true multi-party system as originally intended. And, going back in history, even the original 13 states were vastly different: each of the colonies were set up by vastly different people with huge differences in opinion and pragmatics (PA was a Quarker religious state, GA was America's Australia, Carolina was directly tied to the UK crown, etc.). And, later in history, people still have feelings over our civil war and whatever ideologies it carried / they wish it carried (http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/co...sing-confederate-flag-rallies-capitol-n394401) (for reference, many, *many* personal Confederate flags flag today where I live, even though government property just recently cannot have it anymore). Then you have the fact that a sizable chunk of the US isn't technically the US (Native American reservations functionally act as sovereign nations).

It's... complicated to say the least. But a very simple answer to why a lot of stuff is state-ran rather than federally-ran is the 10th Amendment ("The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.", which in a practical nutshell means the Feds can't do jack if it's not explicitly written down in federal law or if they can't weasel themselves in via the Commerce Clause).

It could be worse. Go look at the EU.. :p

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Senior year we only had 10 students left. In 6th grade there were at least 100 of us.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Summed it up nicely in that one statement. :p

Here are the economics papers. We've got case studies and essays. Two case studies, attempt both in 2 h 15 min; six essay questions (some are broken into two parts), answer any three in 2 h 15 mins as well. Not that any of us likes the way the subject is taught - too much rote mugging. The university courses are much better - lots more maths and calculations than just spewing off essays and weird words and abbreviations.

Jarhead likes this.
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Yeah. It's far easier to git gud at Eve Online than it is to have a complete handle on the US political environment. Thankfully though, for most people what happens in the political world is nothing more than sideline arguing.

7. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At the risk of speaking for another, I imagine neither anger nor a tantrum plays any part. Disappointment, perhaps.

Isn't it incredibly ironic though when individuals demonstrate themselves to be part and parcel the picture painted before them, to the point of caricature? Disappointing indeed.

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    This thread is now closed. It's clear that current events can't be discussed without involving politics; the latter isn't a permitted topic on these forums.

Charles

Wow, a years worth of political talk on a thread (created my another mod!) where we all show decorum, and now he shuts it down. Well done in keeping your house in order and the guests happy. Well done indeed.

radji and Ichinenjuu like this.
  9. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it must be censored according to the hurt feelings of the chadults, what's the point? I can see where the admins would just be like, eff these little itches, it's not worth it.

10. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't really understand that. I feel like that thread has been fairly civil lately. I think there was one time where I got pissed off at something said to me there because it was more personal than a political comment, but that was one time and it wasn't recent. The members who post there have all been members for a long time and know what to expect from other members--it seemed more like a political gathering of regulars than some bedlam of argument. In other words, it seemed like we were "old enough" to handle the discussions in that thread, but oh well. Mods gonna mod.

radji and Jarhead like this.