NEW "What is bothering you right now?" Thread. Bonus: Now with 20% more bother!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2.0, Dec 21, 2014.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    US does consider education important, they just can't agree on the best methodology to teach. And education is overrated anyhow. I know, shoot me for that comment, but considering you need a Master's degree to get even a decent career, and usually those new hires are clueless about the world and how business really works, I'd rather have someone that's battled through the trenches in various work capacities, even if it's burger flipping, than some clueless book educated dweeb.

I'm working with a girl now, who was an intern, but recently hired full time, 20 years old, has had several manufacturing type jobs, is getting welding and automation program training but doesn't have a degree. She shows more common sense and making smart choices over anyone we've hired with a master's in engineering fresh out of college.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Actually, this I don't disagree with. It's always the debate between a so-called 'proper education' and a more vocational, but more practical education. We have the same problem here.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I only finished high school (holding off on a degree for now) and yet I'm able to do system admin/engineer work. The issue is alot of college grads come out of college with only book knowledge and have zero experience in the actual field. In some industries, that works, but not so much in the IT field.

radji likes this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    When you have kids and parents complaining about "Why <do I / does my kid> need to learn Calculus??", "Why aren't we banning witchcraft in schools? (Harry Potter)?", "We need more money for the school's football team", etc., it's hardly surprising that one of the reasons why primary education in the US (or at least in the not-so-great parts of it) is kind of crap. Now the latest issue in education is "OMG These standardized tests are too hard and My Special Little Angel can't pass it!!!" and a sizable number of people are trying to do away or massively reduce standardized testing in schools. Then of course you have some political meddling, and off the top of my head NCLB will defund schools which have poor overall performance (I'm sure there are other laws involving education that aren't so great, but I'm not Googling for it now), as well as parents getting their knots twisted about biology class due to their religious beliefs, etc. In addition, you have a lot of schools which will dumb down and/or slow down the progress of a particular class so that the dumb kids don't get left behind and the smart kids don't get too far ahead in the class (no joke, this is an "issue"). Another factor is that there are plenty of parents who are either too lazy to educate their children at home as well as school, and/or don't have the ability to do so (multi-job parents come to mind), and/or the parents aren't smart enough to do so, etc. And finally, plenty of kids are either simply lazy bums in school and/or simply Don't Get It and don't try hard enough to better themselves via studying or tutoring, etc.

Really, the only way to do well in US K-12 is to have decent parents with free time to teach you, you being self-motivated, and to be curious as all hell. Public K-12 is a glorified daycare and it's disgusting, private K-12 is disgustingly expensive and can be just as bad as public or even worse, home school is a joke since it's mostly used by religious nutters and other wackjobs (Yeah, there are decent parents who home school, but they're few and far between, and it doesn't help that home school's reputation is all but ruined by this point), and the only K-12 education worth a damn (AP classes, IB program, other "gifted-and-talented" programs) are limited in capacity and selective in nature. Really, the only thing that regular K-12 (around my parts, they're called CP classes in middle/high school) is good for is that it's just enough education for someone who has no ambition to do anything better with their life than what can be achieved solely with a high school diploma / GED. You're basically handicapping yourself if you just stick to the school's K-12 education, unless you're *extremely* motivated such as the intern in HTWingNut's example. If you have more self-worth than that, you're basically on your own unless you can get into a G&T program, and even then some self-education wouldn't hurt.

--------------------

Defense contractors employ a whole lot of people, so I imagine a lot of that is basically a government jobs program for those guys. And you really don't know the half of it: just look into the F-35 JSF program and see how much of a contractor welfare custerf**k that's been for one of the ultimate examples of American WTF.

-------------------

It's very sad to see NASA so underfunded. My guess is that it's not as politically sexy anymore as it was during the Cold War (where it was mostly a "Screw the USSR" thing), plus you have people complaining about "Why spend money on that when you can go for education/health/homeless/whatever?", and a lot of people seem to either be apathetic to it all or find it boring. Or maybe I'm just biased since I spend way too much time playing KSP and reading up on all things space for the better part of a year...

5. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Sure they consider it important. Very important. As well as way too dangerous to be provided to unwashed masses.

Money talks...feel free to re-visit President Eisenhower's final (I think?) speech of his term...it's all there.

How many people *really* care about getting to Mars at this point in the game? Not many that I know, regardless of their geographic location, nationality and/or religion...

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I'd love to see mankind on Mars...

(At least it'll be the most productive thing Congress does in the +/- few decades, if NASA does it)

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Humanity needs to send Matt Damon to Mars!

[​IMG]

For those who are in a tank

HTWingNut likes this.
  8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I think Matt Damon shot Interstellar and The Martian at the same time. Next we will see him in 2061 - Matt Damon in Space.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    ...In space while he tries to piece together his memories, at the same time a baddie US spy agency is trying to kill him. :D

HTWingNut likes this.
  10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    One question..

Whats her number? ;)

ajkula66 likes this.