New Watercooling project

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by widezu69, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Sweet! The GPU220 should work without any modding for what im trying to do. Now to figure out how to cool my VRM's.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    What laptop are you trying to cool?

3. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    P870DM-G with the 6700k.

I rarely carry it around, so might as well.

4. widezu69

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the 220 will fit that.

bloodhawk likes this.
  5. widezu69

Reputations:
    Update on parts selection:

I want to keep everything under the laptop so I'm going for a slim 360mm radiator. The current best one on the market is the Black Ice 360 GTS but that model and the X-Flow version are all but sold out in the UK so I may go with the Alphacool ST30 360 which is readily available and will mean that my whole setup will be made up of purely Koolance and Alphacool parts (minus fans) #BrandLoyalty :D

I now have in my possession two USB to 12v 3pin fan step up cables I will use to power all the watercooling parts. The aim is to avoid a separate power connection. The cables are rated up to 12v 0.4A which equates to around 4.8W. I hope the 5v 0.9A source from laptops will be enough.

To maintain the slim profile I intend on using SilverStone FN123 fans. Three of them together are rated to draw up to 5.76W of power which is way over but I need to test them on a splitter to make sure whether the step up can sustain them, I can always add another cable.

Alphacool have now updated their DC-LT pump to a 2600rpm version which has been used in AiOs by the likes of Fractal Design. The description one their website says it is rated at 4.9W but printed on the actual pump unit is 3.2W which is well within capabilities of the cable...I hope. I also hope the noise isn't too bad.

As to where the pump will go, interestingly the top for the pump is designed to be mounted in 2.5 inch HDD bays. My P377sm has such a bay meant for two drives. Might not be deep enough but definitely wide enough. I'll just migrate all my files to mSATA storage and use the two available slots. It'll take some modding of the back cover (which is separate from the main cover which is a plus) but I reckon it will fit.

As to filling the loop, the DC-LT pump top can take a small reservoir which will help with filling and I had an interesting idea which was to install all the parts, hose it all up and secure the fittings, then remove the whole loop from the laptop and fill it away from the laptop. Once the loop is bled and I have ensure it is free from bubbles, I actually intend on removing the reservoir completely and sealing the whole thing as an "AiO unit" which then can be installed into the laptop.

Ambitious: yes, time: will take lots, success: no guarantee...

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. widezu69

Reputations:
    So another very small update, I'll put a picture of it up later but I have bought a standard 12v pump - The Alphacool DC-LT 2400. And it works! I've so far filled the pump, reservoir and connected the inlet and outlet with some tubing to create a circuit and connected the 3pin fan connector to my USB 5v to 12v up convert cable and boom, it chugging along at full speed off a single USB port from the back of my laptop. And quieter than I expected, if the sound of my loudest and most frequently revved up fan (CPU) is removed, the pump is barely louder than the coil whine from my motherboard (my laptop does suffer from a bit of coil whine due to what I use it for). May post video later.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Subbed :) WCing one of these big monsters is one of my long term plans (and was before Asus did it) so I'm VERY interested how this turns out, while I'm on a learning exercise putting together a completely custom loop fabbed from yumcha aliexpress bits in a guinea pig core 2 latitude :)

I decided early on that standard blocks, and closed/AIO style loop inside a laptop (of any size!) was just too hard so eagerly I await pics and video of your setup eagerly to see how wrong I am.

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    when you gonna sell that thing and buy a 10-series laptop?

9. widezu69

Reputations:
    When mine truly becomes outdated. I'm content at the moment with SLi 980m's. I'm keeping mine at the moment because the current core heatsinks can be separated from the VRM bits allowing for easier watercooling. I was looking at the p870dm3 and yes it is great. Once I am done with this project I'll move on.

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Need to see the finished result soon!

11. widezu69

Reputations:
    Will start a new thread soon for a real log of my progress. First prototype completed and tested. It's ugly as hell so no pics atm. I seriously underestimated the space of all the components. Loop has been filled and the pump and fans are all running off the laptop's USB ports. The order of components in the loop has not been finalised yet but I just wanted to test some temps. And yes the temps are great. 27C idle on CPU, 23C on GPUs. 56C max on CPU at 4Ghz stock voltage 100% load using throttlestop 1024m bench. I let the temps settle but didn't run the bench for too long because my CPU vrms are not cooled yet. I need to get some passive sinks for them.

Problems: I cannot rev the laptop fans to full because only the GPU ones are still in the system. If I do the system beeps to warn me that my CPU fan is not plugged in. Not a big deal but as my GPU vrms are still air cooled I would've liked the have some control over it. Maybe I'll find a way of plugging the CPU fan back in.

alexhawker, bennyg and bloodhawk like this.
  12. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nice.

Didn't realise the rad was 360mm... yes just a touch too big for fitting internally haha.

By AIO you mean no res?

13. widezu69

Reputations:
    I'm using a res at the moment but the ideas is to get rid of it after the loop is filled and bled. Of course the 360 rad would never be internal but I mean even the waterblocks are much more protruding that I would like.

Edit: corrected wrong word.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.