New Watercooling project

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by widezu69, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    The video on the previous page. The external downsteppings (getting from the large diameter that Reserator provides, to the small one that I've used in my implementation) are leaking, otherwise the on-board implementation is set.

2. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    So I'm still in the planning stages. The new Cooler Master Notepal U3 Plus laptop cooler is a bit bigger than the last iteration. I have one on the way and will take measurements. I am hoping that I can fit a radiator under there. Alphacool do make a triple radiator for 80mm fans, the same fans that are on the Notepal U3.

I have limited my plans at the moment to something that doesn't require outside power. As for the pump, I have had a look around and the Alphacool DC-LT is small and compact enough to be powered from USB via a 12v stepup. However from my research many implementations of this pump are loud. I have however found one - Fractal Design Kelvin series AIO coolers that use the same pump and is expandable and reviews are positive about its noise. It uses all off the shelf parts (which is also my philosophy here) and can be easily implemented into a watercooling loop. I'm trying to avoid adding a reservoir so I'm going to fill using the T-line method with a looooooong piece of tubing to act as a res while filling.

What the current plan is:
    Laptop has waterblock installed onto the CPU. Tubes go out to under the laptop where we will find the U3 cooler. The U3 cooler's fans are on a radiator extracting heat while next to it is the Kelvin waterblock that is being used as a pump only. But what about the radiator that comes with the AIO you ask. Somewhere in the loop, probably close to the CPU there will be some quick release fittings. Once the laptop is on a desk and not being carried around, a second radiator can be easily added for that extra bit of cooling. Similar to the Asus laptop where there is still cooling on the go and more cooling on the desk.

This method is a bit bulky but has the added benefit of being able to take my laptop around the house and it still being cooled, while receiving an extra bit of cooling once I plonk it on a desk for some gaming.

Hope this makes some sense.

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Where the fans are going to blow? The way I see it there are three options:
    1/ Between the laptop and radiator - sucking air from the radiator (I read somewhere that it's up to 30% better than blowing at/through (which is how almost all laptop coolings work, minus ASUS C90, but it sounds like a fighter jet because of the small fans)), blowing at the components/bottom of the laptop.
    2/ The other way around - sucking air from around the components (+ some fresh air from the space between the laptop and the cooler), blowing it at the radiator.
    3/ Blowing through the radiator at the components/bottom of the laptop.
    Although in all cases we talk about some warm air would be blown at the machine, don't forget that it was designed with some air circulation in mind, which cools other not heat critical components, but still requiring some cooling.

As for the quick connect, sounds great, but without reservoir, how would you manage if some air makes its way inside? It might take out the pump.

4. widezu69

Reputations:
    Great questions. I'll attempt to answer them :p
    I am considering using the U3 cooler upside down. So the flat holey area is on the bottom and the laptop rests on the rear feet propped so the ergonomics are maintained. This means the radiator, in whatever configuration is flat on the bottom, ever so slightly lifted off the resting surface with mounting.

My current plan has the radiator in PULL that is blowing air towards the bottom of the laptop. I am also considering leaving the bottom of the laptop open to allow the air to pass over mosfets that will be passively cooled and will benefit from airflow even if it is slightly warmer air from the radiator.

In regards to push vs pull, the debate still rages on but from what I have seen online, there is not that much difference and having a pull configuration also has cleaning benefits (if you watch any LinusTechTips videos you'll understand what I mean).

Quick connect fittings may very well introduce bubbles etc I am aware but I intend on buying the Kelvin T12 model that has a thicker rad and a bleed port at the top. Seeing as the only time that bubbles may be introduced is when I connect the external radiator, the problem is solved because I can bleed from it. The pump itself also has dry protection in that it can run dry without damaging itself and I expect if that happens I'll hear it and power it down swiftly.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    triturbo likes this.
  5. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I am getting my parts together too for watercooling. I'm going to water cool an AW 18. :D

triturbo likes this.
  6. Thylvin

Thylvin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Too bad local shops don't stock water cooling products. Hell I hate living in this country!!!!!

7. widezu69

Reputations:
    Small update:
    [​IMG]
    That is a MXM GPU with a watercooled core and aircooled memory and VRMs. I've bought one for each of my GPUs, I have a waterblock for my CPU, all of which were near impossible to obtain but that hurdle has been crossed.

More coming soon...

Attached Files:

• GPU1.jpg
      GPU1.jpg
      File size:
      771 KB
      Views:
    JAY8387, alexhawker, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Very cool. Where did you find the MXM and mobile CPU water blocks?

9. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    I think, for the GPU the normal ones with variable screw position grooves should work easily.

For the CPU though, it is difficult and will depend on the motherboard.

But im really interested to know as well, where to get those koolance ones, i think it will work just fine with my H240X. The one in the FP has rotating mounting holes, that is perfect for what im trying to do.

10. widezu69

Reputations:
    They are Koolance GPU 210 waterblocks. Koolance brought them out for the smaller desktop GPUs like the GS 8400. Literally every store this side of the Atlantic ran out of them so I bought them straight from Koolance and had to ship them over. U.S. peeps should be able to get them easily. The CPU waterblock in post #1 is a Koolance GPU 220.

I had to do some very minor modding by shaving a small portion of the VRM heatsink by around 3mm. Won't affect anything.

Mr. Fox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.