New Watercooling project

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by widezu69, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    It's been discussed many times and also attempted. There are loads of great mods out there by people who have achieved so much.

My current laptop set up (see sig) runs very well. The GPUs are so cool it surprises me every time. Heavy gaming on stock (modded vbios so clocks speeds are constant >1100Mhz)the GPU will not reach 65C, sometimes I hardly even see the GPUs reaching 60C. It would be pointless for me to watercool them at the moment because I wouldn't really gain much. My CPU however heats up very quickly. 90C peaks can be easily achieved with a few intensive programs.

Here's a picture of a high quality desktop waterblock mounted on the motherboard of my P377SM
    [​IMG]
    Aims of this project is to only use off-the-self parts and do it with as little modding as possible. The waterblock is currently tightened down with its own mounting hardware. The only "modding" I've done is remove the original CPU backplate on my laptop. I'm guessing the back panel will not close but I haven't tried yet.

Please do not ask me for updates, I work full time as a journalist on a 24hr news channel with irregular shift patterns so I cannot guarantee regular updates but I will keep working on this project. After all, I have already invested in a waterblock so I kind of have to carry on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Kaze No Tamashii and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. widezu69

Reputations:
    So I am appealing to forum members for some help.

I have not bought any other hardware other than the waterblock. I am no engineer so not soldering or re-wiring stuff etc. As I see it I have a few options:

1. I could buy one of those radiator, pump combos like a Swiftech H220x or a EKWB Predator and just be done with it. All I would have to do is plumb it in, re-fill it and we are ready to go.
    2. I could buy a reservoir/pump combo and a radiator and fans etc and put it together myself.
    3. I could buy an expandable All-in-One CPU cooler like the Raijintek Triton and use its CPU block as a pump/reservoir and either use the included radiator or a smaller radiator that may fit under a laptop cooler.
    So option 1 is the most expensive but it will be the easiest and most elegant solution to an extent. The drawback is there is no outlet on my laptop that is powerful enough to drive it so I would need a separate power brick for the set up. Not to mention the whole thing would be heavy as everything is external.

Option 2 would be the cheapest but still poses the same problems as option one like the fact it's all external and it would need a secondary power supply. I don't want to skimp out on parts so not looking at buying crappy mini-pumps from China etc

Option 3 The Raijintek Triton pump on the waterblock draws 4w of power, just less than a USB port. I have access to a 5v - 12v USB stepup that I can use to power the pump which should work. All I would need to do is pull off all the other parts and save the for another project.Look for a small radiator and some fans. It could all hide under the laptop and because it would all be powered by USB, the laptop would be transportable.

WWNBRD? What would NBR do?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I would recommend you mount that on top of the original heatsink, kinda like how asus does it with the watercooled rog laptop.

But for option
    1: as you said, heavy, not portable. but neither is option 2
    2:
    3: triton isn't a bad idea, but I've heard multiple QC issues with the unit (leak, crack on pump, bad fittings)

keep in mind that triton's cpu block is shaped close to a cube, may not fit under your laptop cooler

4. widezu69

Reputations:
    I have thought about fitting the block on top of my existing heatsink. But it would cause major clearance issues and I kinda still want to put the back panel on.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Awesome endeavor, bro... Thread added to my watch list. +Rep

@Takaezo used a AIO on his P570WM and attached the radiator to the outside surface of the display with velcro. It would be cool to see it all self-contained. I think you would have better success using direct die contact, but if it works well enough on top of the heat sink to suit your needs you could use leak-proof quick disconnects and go mobile. EKWB has an AIO unit with the pump mounted to the radiator, and that would be the way to go to minimize space inside the chassis and facilitate installation of the bottom cover. You could use a much smaller water block and use an AC adapter like this to power the cooling system externally.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGG6SC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Takaezo likes this.
  6. widezu69

Reputations:
    Unfortunately waterblock on top of heatsink only works if the fan is next to the the heatsink and not on top:
    [​IMG]
    I never consistently use the laptop on the go anyway, only to move it from place to place so the quick disconnects option is definitely planned. the EK AIO solution would be best performing and easiest but not the most tidy.

I also want to minimise additional parts. I'm hoping to have most components powered from the laptop and avoid using an external AC molex adapter but I have thought about it and it's good I do have the option.

I am considering combining some options, so I could perhaps have a setup where the USB ports power the fans to a slow quiet speed and the pump is powered externally.

7. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    OT but, make sure you at least glue some heatsinks to the CPU mosfets (the little black squares in front of the waterblock) especially since you're overclocking. Those mosfets can put out a lot of heat under load, and if left to their own, will overheat very quickly and start throttling, or could just literally blow up if you're unlucky.

Takaezo and widezu69 like this.
  8. widezu69

Reputations:
    Definitely. I have already ordered some ramsinks for them.

9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I don't know how well newer AIOs deal with cracking open, but I know for certain that thermaltake Water Tide would fry pump as soon as you try to run your modified setup. Just something to keep in mind - try to avoid any air in the system. There are 2mm water blocks over AliExpress, you might want to look at them. There are also copper pipes for bending around the hot components like I did:

I still try to get the damn thing leak free, that's why my current project would be air cooled. Also it never was anything but to see how far it can go, but it's still frustrating that I can't test after so many years. Being in my mom's possession is not helping either.

Takaezo likes this.
  10. widezu69

Reputations:
    Pumps risk damage if run dry. Also I don't intend on cutting or soldering anything so I will only open AIOs that are designed to be expanded. So something like the Corsair H100i would not be a good choice but a EKWB Predator or Swiftech H140x could work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.