[New] Vostro V13

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Johnny T, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Given my impulse buying issues, I should probably delete them as well ;) But I usually keep them in my inbox until they are expired, "Just In Case". Worked out well this time. 20% off was a nice bonus for an outlet V13.

As to running, the only thing I have 'comparable' to it is my MSI netbook (Atom, 2GB ram, XP Home with clean install) and its slower to desktop than the netbook, but not by much. About 20 seconds slower to desktop than my E6400 (P9700/4GB) so its really not that much more of a wait, all things considered. Buffers and churns the HDD for sometime once its at desktop, which impacts performance a bit for a few minutes until it is done loading/buffering/caching/whatever its doing.

Once in windows it is reasonably quick, though MS Office '07 apps can take a few more seconds to open on the V13 than my wife's 1720 (P8600/4GB). Big spreadsheets take quite a bit longer though. Chrome opens very quick. Screen redraws are fine. Does Abobe blueprint redraws about 20% faster than the netbook, but about twice the time it takes the E6400 (with same X4500 graphics).

2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Tell me about it. I'm like the Imelda Marcos of laptops, can't resist a good deal. :eek:

Thanks for the impressions. I think since I now have way too many laptops i'm going to go Ubuntu 10.4 all the way on the V13. How did yours look when you got it out of the box? Was it scratched or stained? The one i'm getting is "previously ordered new".

3. mallmand

mallmand Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just recieved my refurbed V. I love it. Coming from a netbook I was afraid it would be deadly slow like my netbook, but it flies. Outlook pops right open and all other common business apps work splendidly. Very nice to have media center on it for watching tv while traveling. Got a maxed out version on the outlet for $719. Very impressive size and design, would have liked more battey life, but hey I bought it for the thin size.

Also, I was absolutely amazed that it hadvirtually no crapware on it, I uninstalled the trial anti-virus and was done. I guess I am used to pavillions.

4. Ferretwulf

Ferretwulf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Regular certified refurb for mine. Top, sides, keyboard, palm rests, screen and bezel all looked new. The bottom has some scuffing.

I was quite pleased with the minimal amount of 'bloat' installed on the V13 as well. My wife's 1720 came with almost nothing additional on it as well (excluding Dell Backup app) so I didn't do a clean install on that laptop either. My new E6400 came with a bunch-o-crap on it, so it was immediately off to a fresh OS install (including wiping the recovery partition).

5. bonyback

bonyback Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    5520 | Marc's Blog

good guide to make dell 5505/5510/5520 working under windows 7. also using Nokia Pc suit can create the profile as well. now my latitude 13 is all config now.

6. seayeo

seayeo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My brain says 'buy the Asus UL30Vt' but my eyes say 'oohhh pretty V13.'

The SU7300 V13 + SDD will cost about the same as the $999 Adamo. The Adamo does not support TRIM on its SDD but it does have edge-to-edge glass. So which is the better buy between the V13 and the Adamo?

Thanks!

7. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    If the price is basically the same between both similarly equipped machines, i'd say the Adamo is the better buy. Keep in mind it's an all aluminum laptop whereas the V13 isn't. That's why the V13 is labeled as the poor man's Adamo.

Now if your choice is between a $450 V13 and a $1000 Adamo then the choice tips in favor of the V13.

8. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I just received my V13 from FedEx and I must say i'm very impressed. Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.4 flies with the Celeron. The keyboard has that clicky sound but is very responsive and has a nice tactile feel to it.

My only issues are:

1) The laptop was not properly packed. It was outside of the foam retaining shell and just banging around inside the box. It had the outer foam packaging but still, did anyone not check this before closing and taping the box. :mad: :rolleyes:

I have to small but very light scratches on the top lid, not sure if it was a direct result of the laptop moving around in the box. Advice???

I also notice a small hump in the center towards the LED strip. Is that normal?

As far screen goes, wow very nice and the resolution is just perfect for a screen this size. I'm not sure if I would want to go any higher if it were available. I just installed Ubuntu 10.4 but so far it has found everything minus the wireless driver which I had to download and i'll have to see if it found the webcam.

9. Theros123

Theros123 Web Designer & Developer

Reputations:
    I had several issues when I ordered a used E6400. The chassis was bent out of shape and I was able to get them to ship me a replacement. I think if the issues affect usage, then you can probably request for a replacement (though with the low stocks of this model, who knows). Ironically, their replacement also had the same issue and so I decided to just buy a new one...hopefully my v13 is in good shape!

10. mongrel

mongrel Newbie

Reputations:
    hey all, about a month + ago so i reported here that my v13 wouldn't run on battery. duly the tech came out replaced motherboard & battery but still wouldn't work. tech took it back with him... two weeks later i called to ask where my computer was and found out it was sitting on a bench gathering dust.someone in dell had forgotten to advance the paper work *sigh* several days later i got it back and finally it worked on battery (it was a badly machined screw pressing where it shouldn't have)... unfortunately it now had no battery, disk, wifi, bluetooth, caps/num lock etcetera lights. another report went in and again the silence was deafening. finally after a week i contacted dell on the 4th of may to ask why my v13 was still not repaired. get this... apparently someone from dell telephoned me on the 27th of april to tell me dell has decided to replace the v13 with a new one. i wasn't home to answer the phone so a second call to advise me was never made. call me trixie and bugger me silly. what a balls up. i love the dell v13 but the service is not real flash. i'm real pleased with the v13 i'm guessing i've just been unlucky but beware the dell service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.