New Vaio Z review from ITPRO

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by IntenseIGFX, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avmaxfan

avmaxfan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes in the Ultra Portable category there is no other laptop that will have better gaming performance than the new Z. Except the announced LG 13 incher but then no details on exact availability and the overall quality.

The 6650M is basically equal to a Nvidia GT540M which you find in the Dell XPS 15 and other so called "gaming" machines :)

And as for the Z with dock vs SA with 6630M, yes the Z w/ dock will be better but nothing significant. Maybe +/- 2 fps to 5 fps depending on the game.

In Starcraft 2 though, you will not gain anything with the new Z. Maybe 2-3 more fps at the max, SA with 6630 does well in this game though with a lead of around 8-10 fps over both old Z and new Z. I would suggest stick with your Z12 :) For on the move gaming its much better than the new Z without dock and almost as good as a new Z WITH dock.
    Instead wait for the Ivybridge Z3 ;)

2. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    If you intend to game on the go you won't be able to use the power media dock on battery. This is when you'll need to use the external adapter and for some people this will be limiting.
    For those that only game on their desk the vi dock solution is there as well.

Moving On

They referred to the display as glossy, i notice that some reviewers do that with these hybrid displays. I guess Sony is still using the hybrid display. Also, their comments about the display itself was a bit surprising.

The battery life is interesting. The Sony SA models with an SSD drive and higher capacity battery in stamina mode seems to get less. My Sony TT manages 12 battery life over wifi with quite aggressive settings but over WWAN i think it's only about 5hrs or 6hrs. I'd be interested to see a little more realistic tests.

The Sony Z looks like a good laptop, i think i would have liked to have seen a matched external optical drive but of course that would enroach on the sales of the PMD so that won't happen.

3. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Like this, you mean?

4. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    Yes, this would be ok i guess for the black one but not really as ideal for the gold one. Think of Apple and their external optical drive. The dock looks very nicely designed, for those that don't need the gpu though it's pointless and it's also 1.5lbs also, a nicely designed optical would have been nice but it's not going to happen.

5. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    People atually care whether the exterior of a drive matches the exterior of their laptop? Do they dress to match the laptop too?

6. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    Like i said, it would have been nice, it would have been a nice touch but it's not going to happen. People if they don't need the PMD will just need to find an alternative.

7. pyr0

pyr0 100% laptop dynamite

Reputations:
    Not worth a pile of money to upgrade a Z1 for a Z2 *just for gaming*. Save yourself 500$ for this silly PMD, which is not very powerful and build your own GTX460 eGPU for less than 350$. This is practically the same, just not so slim and connects to your expresscard slot - with your Z1 hooked up to your desktop lcd, you will equal a Radeon HD 6970M in DX9 games and outperform it in DX10. And you have all that CUDA and physx stuff.

8. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Save on the laptop too, because the Z2 doesn't have an external expresscard slot you can do this with.

To summarize, if you want to use the computer for gaming, the Z2 is not for you. Get an Alienware M11x instead. It's cheaper, and far better fro gaming.

9. Brianho1337

Brianho1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The m11x does weigh like a brick though (2 kg for an 11 incher, same as the 13" MBP), I believe the new Z with both the dock and machine itself weighs less than that. The m14x is a better pick IMO, the GT 555M is better than the 6650 and 540M by quite some margin, though it weighs a tough 3 kg (more than twice of the VPC-Z1).

10. autophobe

autophobe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the bummiest part of that review is the part where they said the screen was kinda iffy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.