New Vaio Z review from ITPRO

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by IntenseIGFX, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IntenseIGFX

IntenseIGFX Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    http://www.itpro.co.uk/634780/sony-vaio-z-2011-vpcz21m9e-review

One of the main reasons I'm considering upgrading my current Z to the new one is for the improved video card. This review seems to think that the 6550 doesn't perform very well at all in their testing. Can anyone shed some light on this? I really want to get this machine, but if it won't perform at least substantially better than my current card (330m GT) its not worth getting. I really need a machine that I can game on the go with (new vaio Z)

2. HLdan

HLdan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not crazy about the fact that it's basically tethered to the external PM dock, very retarded. You can't use the Power supply with the Vaio without it being chained to the PM dock. People need to have their heads examined to spend over $3k USD on a laptop that can't easily use it's power adaptor on the go.

3. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Huh? I think you've missed the point of the new Z entirely.

4. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    There are two[*] power bricks:
    #1, 90W, plugs directly into the Z when not docked
    #2, 110W, plugs into the dock

The thinking is that you leave the dock connected to mains at all times, and use the smaller power supply when away from the dock.

[*]: Well, there's a third one too:
    #3, glomps on to the sheet battery

5. HLdan

HLdan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I see, the article doesn't make that clear at all. In fact one of the complaints in the review is that the power supply for the Vaio must go through the PMD.

6. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    On the go, it performs substantially worse than the old Z. Even though the integrated graphics is more powerful than the integrated graphics in the old Z, it's no match for even a low-end modern discrete graphics card.

When docked, it depends. The ATI card isn't the slowest (nor the fastest), and the bandwidth to it is ample, but the Light Peak technology introduces substantial latency, especially since it's used twice - to pass raw data to the graphics card, and to pass display data back again. If the app (game) has computational or bandwidth bottlenecks, like most games, that isn't going to be a concern, but if the game is latency sensitive, it can make a noticeable impact. Or, to put it another way, if there are relatively few but high quality textured models on a scene, it should work great, but if there are a huge number of individually moving and timed objects on the screen, expect far worse performance. Enabling triple buffering might help fight some of that latency.

Also, with this being an ATI card, you don't get CUDA and PhysX, and ATI doesn't play nice with OpenGL. To compensate, the ATI cards tend to have more correct rendering in DirectX, and you get more performance for the same price. And the 6550M is basically the same card as AMD incorporated in its new Llano CPUs which just came out, which means a boatload of software will likely be tweaked specifically for just this card.

7. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    No, I think the complaints is that the larger brick can't be plugged directly in to the Z. because the plugs are different. But why would you need to when you have a smaller one that does this? To charge the battery faster at the expense of battery longevity? No thanks.

8. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can one really expect almost 9 hours of battery life with the internal?

9. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Pull the curtains, reduce the brightness, turn off WiFi, and don't run anything computationally intensive, and (most of all) with a new battery, and yes.

Browsing Web 2.0/3.0 sites with brightness turned up and a year old battery, and you'll likely not get half of that.

Use it for building Visual Studio projects or encoding video, and we're talking a fraction of the battery life.

10. IntenseIGFX

IntenseIGFX Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I really appreciate your response, especially since you're the only one who actually maintained the thread's primary point. I understand that it will perform poorly without the dock. That is fine with me. The main game I play is Starcraft 2. Will the docked 6550 be able to handle it substantially better than the new Sony SA's 6530? (I think the SA uses that anyway). I'm really just looking to make sure this card will be powerful enough to play games much better than anything else out there in the ultra light 13 inch (with premium screen) laptops. Thanks for staying on topic :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.