NEW UPGRADE with GTX 1070 for old Clevo/Alienware/MSI

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by woodzstack, Nov 1, 2017.

1. delgaldo

delgaldo Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Clevo P170EM with a GTX680M mounted on it now.

If I want to upgrade to a GTX 1070 what I need? Just the GPU? Or also a new Heat sink? Will I need a modded BIOS or vBIOS? Could I install the official NVidia driver or I'll need a modded one?

Please Woodzstack could you contact me privately? I would ask you some questions about the upgrade and the possibility to buy the Card from you.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    AFAIK with the right card you need a modified heatsink.

3. Markopolo

Markopolo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi nice to hear about the upgrading of the good old P170EM, thanks to all of you for all the work you put in.

I am really think about to put a 1060 inside my old ,stable and never made problem baby.
    Have some questions. I am on win10 ,no uefi bios (original bios)

Do i have to replace sreen cause of eDP?
    Is optimus still working?
    Do i need a modbios and where i get?
    Where to get 1060? I could get 1 from china ,have some friends over there. Msi or GeCube?
    Do i have to install mod nvidia driver all the time?

have a nice day
    Marko

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The EM uses the IGP to drive the displays so the eDP requirement is not a concern, it can be LVDS too.

5. Markopolo

Markopolo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for information.
    If i would get GPU myself, where ill get the BIOS for P170EM ??? I would pay for it !!!

Have a nice Day
    Marko

6. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    oh does it ? Then perhaps they're the same power draw wise, but I was relatively sure they drew more power. how accurate is TDP tweaker ? Does it just read the vbios or does it calculate the draw ?

7. woodzstack

Reputations:
    So we had to tweak the vbios again, we found issues. Now it will be 100W. This might limit performance a bit, but then again it's a MXM 3.0B 1070 that fits all these older systems.

8. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sounds Good. But how long is warranty for gpu?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

9. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Brother Woodz does this work on a clevo P375SM-A if I have the edp 120Hz screen? I found the cable and the screen ... Actually the cable is sold by @clevo-extreme :D

10. woodzstack

Reputations:
    We haven't decided on any extra warranty options just standard 90 days. If it doesn't pass our quality standard we wouldn't be selling them at all.
    either way right now - anyone buying is going to be an early adopter, we do not have thousands of hours of testing on these yet, that takes time.

Already we've found more and more things to iron out as we continued testing, which is why just this week we had to lower TDP to resolve an issue.

It's not like we're getting help from NVidia like back in the day, so OEMs are truly much more on thier own with these then before.

As for the 120hz panel working in laptops - that needs to be tested next, and figured out how to work.

We have it working with optimus ATM in a ton of laptops. Its a process to go through all these and cerate the various vbioses for them. like we should have dozens of different vbioses in the end, just like we had dozens for the 980M.

This is why it's important to buy from the people who flash these for you to match your laptop, unless you can get the tools to do it yourself, or get help from great people like Prema to do it for you as well.

I am not sure if Prema has done any 1070 vbioses though yet, like we only have a few ourselves and sell 4 physically different 1070 models, takes time and necessity is the mother of all invention.

KY_BULLET likes this.