New toy!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by mattpayne, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lxsys

lxsys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've just splashed out on one, and also a bluetooth GPS receiver. I'm hoping that it has got good firmware.
    I have a quick question: if I wanted to use USB host , would there be pins that I had to short to enable the USB host data lines? I understand that I will need an external power source for the 5V (4xAA and voltage regulator i think), but will I also need to apply this power to the phone?

Edit:
    It's arrived and all looks good at the moment.

2. Mil3

Mil3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did any of you guys tryed to look for a different panasonic USB cable? How about GD52,GD53,GD87,GD88,GD92?
    Hint-use google/ebay

Good luck

3. denrosten

denrosten Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You all have to modify them because the pinout is different

4. PolarPanasonic

PolarPanasonic Newbie

Reputations:
    Received my CF-P2 last week and wired a USB cable this morning following the pin-outs posted earlier - thank you all very much. I have been thinking about the replacement battery issue and noticed that the Fujifilm NP-120 battery has identical dimensions; almost identical electrical characteristics (3.7V, 1800 mAh); and the same connector arrangement. Given that they are all likely made by Matsua (i.e. Panasonic) anyway, it seems to me to be worth an experiment. I will get hold of an NP-120 equivalent (plenty on Amazon, no doubt elsewhere too) and report back - unless of course someone has such a battery lying around and feels brave?

Ed

5. PolarPanasonic

PolarPanasonic Newbie

Reputations:
    I have now tried an NP-120 compatible battery in the CF-P2. It powers the CF-P2 just fine and charges on the wall charger that came with the phone. The only issue was that the Panasonic original has a couple of pieces of thickish tape on the bottom which help to press the SIM card onto the contacts. I presently have a piece of card adding a little extra depth to the battery to do the same and the phone function now works as well. Seems like the NP-120 battery was (is?) used in a number of cameras so there are plenty of them about.

6. interestingfellow

interestingfellow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This has been asked countless times on other forums for other phones: unfortunately, host mode can only be supported if the hardware allows it AND the OS has drivers for it. I don't believe either of those dependancies are met in this device (but I don't know for certain).
    But to answer your question, the same pins used for sync: (USB) +5v, -5v, D+, & D-. And the external 5v would need to be fed to the slave device directly, if the P2 does not output 5v at the connector.

And several people have asked about the max size sd card you can use. I don't have a P2 to try out, but (at least most of) every other WM03/03se PPC Phone I've used or been exposed to, sill support up to 4gb sd cards: NOT 4gb SDHC, just a 4gb SD card. Other than that, 2gb sd cards should work in any device from the last 10 years (well, most devices)

7. lxsys

lxsys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    British gas used TomTom and a USB GPS with the car kit on these, so they DO support host mode.

I gave up on the idea of using USB host for my GPS, it had CE drivers for a USB to serial but I couldn't be bothered with making a connector and cable, as well as a battery pack. I instead got myself a Bluetooth GPS which is a less hackish solution.

As for the SD, I've got my P2 to read+write to a 2GB sandisk, if I can get my hands on a 4GB non HC type card I'll try it out and see what happens.

8. interestingfellow

Reputations:
    I don't know about the P2 cause I don't have one (But I"m excited cause they'll be on there way soon!):
    Anyway, I had a PPC Phone 2002 (HTC Wallaby), and it had serial capability from the charge/dock connector. Make the cable, set the com port and what not, and stream nmea output to the port. Viola.

I failed to notice the USB HOST+ & - in that pinout further up. It's got my curousity peaked. I know there were several larger tablet style hand helds running CNET3/3.5 (??, the precursor to Windows Mobile 2002), as well as WM2002/03/03se that had USB ports and supported host mode.

I can't wait to play around with this thing!

9. interestingfellow

Reputations:
    Car cradle manual says that there is a radio mute out of the 'box' everything plugs into. It must sense sound out of the phone 14pin, and mute the stereo???

10. cyrilng

cyrilng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If anyone wants one I have a spare cable still sealed in original packaging to let go cheap. It's for GD87 & is the type where the connector can be unscrewed & has the full set of metal pins. (Taken already :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.