New to Linux: Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by TheReciever, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing! I got those links bookmarked.

On top of bumbling my way around linux I have been learning to use MacOS too, for work. So lots of new experiences going on these past few weeks lol.

I will be for sure referencing your posts when I begin to rebuild the Ranger and get things configured.

jclausius likes this.
  2. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Installing Linux Mint? Hey, I have another video for you! :p

jclausius and TheReciever like this.
  3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    You guys are great, Looks like I have a lot of material to work with on my next day off to absorb more information. I was worried about trying Linux because I always heard that the community is rather harsh to newcomers.

I am busy breaking my installation over my work nights and during my lunch breaks I am studying Korean so my schedule is packed. Also friend of mine has been cycling through Aero 15x's and hes a laptop laymen so I have been tuning each machine he gets. 1st machine had artifacting and 2nd machine has severe backlight bleed.

Next day off ill try running Linux Mint or Ubuntu on this m4600 and see how it goes. Sunday a likely time for it.

katalin_2003 and hmscott like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

That's only the free-free distro retards, arch + gentoo fan cancer (to some extent).

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Plus we were all in your shoes at one time or another.

I've been using Linux off/on since grad school (1993) when things were based on downloading and creating floppy disks or ordering from Walnut Creek. There was no community except me and other students pouring over readme type files trying to figure things out. However, it's come a long way since then, and the community has grown too. I think you'll find in at least to this regards that if you do a little research on your own, and don't expect people to do it for you, you'll find them receptive to any questions.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  6. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
  7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I have pre-loaded kubuntu / Linux Mint and Fedora. I would've pre-loaded more but that flash drive only has 8GB on it.

My friend also mentioned that I should included Gparted on the drive, with a tool he was familiar with called "Yumi"

Ill be installing Linux tomorrow, its a bit tricky on my m4600 it has a bad habit of losing the drives during a Windows installation and I dont want to risk foul play so have to pull my drives out.

Thanks for the link to a Linux community, dont know if I'll be posting there for a while but it will be good to find another place to passively learn from others.

jclausius likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Use AIOBoot instead of YUMI. You just burn it once and it has dual UEFI/Legacy support w/o burning ISO every time.

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Ill keep that one in mind the next time I gather some distributions, probably when I get the Ranger back up and running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.