New Thinkpad Line up

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by rovisa, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rovisa

rovisa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

Any idea as to when the new Thinkpad T and W series laptops will come out?

After the general bad reviews of the existing ones I am hoping for a re designed version.

oct and BinkNR like this.
  2. dasmoothride

dasmoothride Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thinkpad T440s and the X240 series were announced September of last year. Therefore, new Thinkpads should be announced the same month.

3. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    T440s was already announced in July 2013 (as well as the Asia-only X240s) - though the big release was indeed in September 2013.

Lenovo releases new ThinkPads when Intel releases a new CPU plattform. This years plattform, Broadwell, was originally planned for the end of Q2 / late spring. As it was so, the new Broadwell ThinkPads (T450s) were originally planned for Summer to be announced. But due to difficulties with the new CPUs (since they are 14nm), Broadwell was delayed to Q4 / end of the year.

So, we may see new ThinkPads announced in Fall - maybe on IFA 2014 here in Germany - which will be available in November or December. But, this should be only the models with ULV CPUs (Core i3/i5/i7-5xxxU and Core M). This would mean the New X1 Carbon updated with Broadwell, the successor to the ThinkPad Helix, T450s, X250, T450, S450/S550 if you take the existing lineup - with the possible extention of a T550.

Higher Voltage chips won´t come out before 2015 - which means no Quad-Core Broadwell Notebooks until then. This would mean that models like the W540, the T440p and the T540p won´t be updated until Q1 2015 - possible announcement would be the CES 2015 (see the rumored T1 and W1...).

LAX and vereveritas like this.
  4. iphetamine

iphetamine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So buying a T440s now is a bad idea?

5. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    No, I wouldn´t say so. Even if the T450s is going to be announced in September, it won´t be available then. Buying the T440s now is only a bad idea if you want to wait 5 months +...and the T440s is a great ThinkPad, no reason not to buy one. If you need it now, buy it now.

6. iphetamine

iphetamine Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was on buying a laptop from till August and see what's out there on the market.

7. Bluebird20

Bluebird20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why wait for a company to release a product? Unless that product is very "special" in one way or another, there are alternatives. Plus, there is no guarantee that the next line of Thinkpads will be any better. Better means whatever qualities you're looking for. If you want to buy now, there are alternatives. Maybe even better ones for your situation - who knows.

8. jook33

jook33 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i think improvements for thinkpads are done with, only thing you will see upgrades in are hardware where are irrelevant to thinkpads because all companies will see those upgrades

9. Faruk

Faruk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I'm hoping (maybe in vain) that the T450s will have a proper trackpoint/touchpad, and hopefully 2 memory slots instead of 1 slot + 4GB soldered.

10. rovisa

rovisa Newbie

Reputations:
    Could You suggest alternatives to thinkpads? I am looking for durable laptops some thing that will stay with me for 4 years of my PhD studies, with processing power equivalent to the W540

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.