New Sony Vaio Z speculation/news thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by TSE, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshmcx

joshmcx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I understand backlog, part shortages, QC, limited time and all that. I understand that it just takes time. Like I said, I'm just being impatient, not really complaining.

Although... For backlog in particular, I would think they wouldn't send you the email saying the laptop is being built until the laptop is actually being built. The same with part shortages, they would also know of the shortage in advance (thus why the estimated ship date changes when you select WWAN).

I would just be curious to see the inside of a laptop assembly facility (particularly one in Japan) and what exactly does happen during the week or so between the time they send out the email that they're building the laptop and the time they ship it.

2. joshmcx

Reputations:
    It doesn't use SSD3 unless you choose that option. If you click the drop-down near the top, it has an option for Gen3 that is £3417.99. That's £1150 more for the upgrade to from 512GB SSD to 512GB Gen3 SSD. Ouch.

3. Generic User #2

Generic User #2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    depends on how that particular company operates(especially if production is being outsourced). remember that sales and manufacturing are two separate departments - that email most definitely comes from someone in a head office environment(well...it actually comes from a server machine, but you get my point), not someone in the office room overlooking the production line. there is no 'live feed' of any sort between the factory and the offices.

if the shipment comes in a day late, your entire(or large portion) production schedule is now off by a day. THAT is the problem with JIT manufacturing...when you don't control the entire top-down process(and even if you do), little things make a big difference.

4. joshmcx

Reputations:
    There should be a "live feed" of sorts. That email would be triggered to go out once they're ready to begin production on a specific order. It's easy enough to integrate an email notification into a specific point in the process and there's no reason to believe there are departmental separations between manufacturing and email notification processes. I can't imagine this process is anything less than completely automated.

I agree, but delays shouldn't be the norm. I'd certainly allow time for this type of thing, I can't imagine these type of delays amount to the majority of the time between the start of the build and the shipping date.

My guess is with the new Z, build times are longer because they are less modular and more of the components are fixed to the boards versus another laptop in which each individual component can be easily replaced.

It's all academic really, I'd just be interested to see what goes on behind the scenes.

5. Crystal1988

Crystal1988 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm happy to announce that we reached the first stage for ViDock for Light Peak:

Village Tronic made an Open Letter to see how many people want ViDock for new Z and want to know what kind of specification would love.
    We have to reach 50 people who would buy it (or at least the module I think), and write our preferences HERE -> https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?u...34&topic=17792

6. Generic User #2

Generic User #2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol, of course, those little things are obvious improvements. but again, this is real-life, so you know it doesn't exist, and won't for at least another decade ;)

but ya, from what Dell marketing used to tell us(or at least my impression of it), they actually tracked individual orders through the system.

ugh, failed to find a video i saw a little back. but ya, the assembly line was nothing fancy. lots of components being unpacked relatively carefully(it was a shot of mobos), put into special holding trays and moved over to a worker on the line. the worker would get a chassis off the belt and bring it onto her table and then use an electric screwdriver to seat the mobo into chassis. yada, yada later, someone would boot up the pc, check for scratches and hinge functionality, etc.

although, that was with a standard laptop, not one of those ultrathins, so yes, i would be interested in seeing how they assemble those particular lappies too. :)

7. goldentreesang

goldentreesang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thats awesome. Link didn't work for me though had to find it on my own. Hopefully this will work. Open Letter: Do you want a ViDock for Sony Vaio Light Peak? | Facebook

GET THAT LINK EVERYWHERE!!!

Crystal make a thread too!

8. ComputerCowboy

ComputerCowboy Sony Fanboy

Reputations:
  9. AnonymousCoward

AnonymousCoward Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Z1 has 7.9 for Disk Transfer rate, and that would only be SATA2

10. HDTV4me

HDTV4me Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can somebody confirm that battery in retail units can be removed by user?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.