New Sony Vaio Z speculation/news thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by TSE, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Generally, those who makes an outrageous claim should be the one to back the claim up too. With a dearth of available data, that might be hard to do.
    One pointer is to look at recall figures. When the TZs got recalled, the series had been through three iterations, and 19 different TZ models (all of them, up to when the flaw was corrected) were recalled -- a total of ~440,000 produced units, and ~100,000 sold units, produced over 14 months. Did the Z really sell that much more?

2. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Percentages are not as useful as you think when it comes to gamut comparisons. The percentage might be "perceptual", comparing the sizes of the gamut projected area, which can give 100% even if the area is severely skewed one way, and a boatload of colours can't be displayed. Or it might be colometric, comparing distance from different white balances. Or it might be absolute, discarding any colours that fall outside the gamut you compare with.

But most of all, a percentage is inaccurate because it doesn't take into effect how many colours can be displayed. A 6-bit-per-colour (262,000 distinct colours) TN display can have a higher percentage coverage of sRGB, NTSC or Adobe RGB than an 8-bit-per-colour (16.7 million distinct colours) IPA display, but still look worse because of all the colours within that gamut that it cannot display.

It's certainly a very good display for resolution and colour vividness, but the colour correctness is, unfortunately, not so good.
    This is, in part because the colour changes with viewing angle, and unless you sit infinitely far away from the display, the viewing angle of the top of the screen won't be the same as for the bottom of the screen. A colour meter clamped onto the screen won't add that problem to the delta-E values, unfortunately.
    And, in part because certain colours give visible dithering or banding. The dithering is most easily seen for some colours at around 1/3 intensity, and the banding for really dark colours. A colour meter won't catch the dithering, but will catch the banding (but cheap ones won't check the really dark shades, and only a small number of bright and semi-bright pre-defined colours).
    So even if it's an excellent screen with a large gamut, some might prefer an IPS display with a smaller gamut, but more dependable colours, or an MVA display with better blacks.

3. tehsupermeowmeow

tehsupermeowmeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the cheap brand new z13's are gone on ebay. The seller in question doesn't replenish it anymore. So does your friend want a lightly used silver refurb z1390x?

I bought it from sonystyle (got it mid June, so it's like 3 weeks old) and paid 1100+ for it (tax included) and I'm willing to sell it at the same price and possibly less. I have two laptops and I primarily use the other one, so this Z is still in like-new condition (I added a skinguard set tho) If your friend is interested, let me know (PM me)!

I'm selling this because I ordered another one from this seller we been talking about :D

Needless to say, 'no one knows if you're a dog on the Internet', so to speak. If his/her dad isn't convinced...um that's okay.

4. Drvec

Drvec Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi HLdan. I think your first question is answered in this well written article: How Sony accidentally did the right thing with Light Peak | This is my next... ... to summarise: when Sony first began developing the PMD concept they worked with Intel to utilize LightPeak for the high bandwidth required. At the time, Intel hadn't yet settled on USB or Mini DP, optic fiber or copper, and by the time the latter of each became the standard, Sony were already too far down the development cycle to change. Furthermore, Sony, we believe, were forced to call the port "propriety" since it breaks the written standards for both LightPeak and USB3. We already know it's a perfectly good USB3 port, just that they aren't allowed to call it that. It may be that the LightPeak part works fine as well.

Really, if you think of it like a docking port that's normally on the underside of a laptop (and normally proprietary for all manufacturers), but is now on the side instead and happens to also be a USB3 port, well I just can see the big complaint.

Your second comments are also a bit biased. Just to throw a few ideas on the other side of the argument, it is good to note that Sony developed or co-developed a number of widely used standards, such as the 3.5" floppy disk, the CD, the DVD and Bluray.

5. tehsupermeowmeow

tehsupermeowmeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This isn't exactly US price (as in the price sonystyle usa would sell), but I just checked conics, and a base configuration starts out at $2232 (excluding the Dock), presumably shipped straight from Japan? They do sell things at a higher price though because of that.

6. jdbrookes

jdbrookes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When people say the US price is going to be around $1999, does that figure include sales tax? What would the average sales tax be?

Europe tends to include sales tax when mentioning prices, US doesn't?

7. Andrew08

Andrew08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    sorry if double post.

what you need to know about z2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

color:
    Black top, Black inside
    Carbon top, Black inside (more expensive)
    Black top, Blue inside
    Gold top, Brown inside

Power Media Dock (optional):
    DVD Multi Drive in the Dock
    Blu-Ray Multi Drive in the Dock

processor:
    Core i3-2310M
    Core i5-2410M
    Core i5-2520M
    Core i5-2540M
    Core i7-2620M

display:
    13.1" 1600 x 900
    13.1" 1920 x 1080

Ram:
    4GB DDR3
    8GB DDR3

Storage choice:
    SSD 128GB raid 0
    SSD 256GB raid 0
    SSD 512GB raid 0

Wifi:
    Intel Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250
    Intel Advanced-N 6205
    Intel Ultimate-N 6300

additional:
    LTE / 3G / WWAN
    Noise Canceling headphone
    Webcam
    backlit keyboard
    battery sheet

security(optional):
    FingerPrint Reader
    TPM Chip
    FingerPrint Reader + TPM Chip

8. maven1975

maven1975 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Really? 5 different CPU options!

9. falconxp

falconxp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only 3 with the CTO in Europe

Core i5-2410M
    Core i5-2540M
    Core i7-2620M

10. emev

emev Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the links!

Has someone, who speaks Japanese read this interview? Part1 Part2

It seems that there may be some interesting details in it, but the google translation is not really understable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.