New Sony Vaio Z speculation/news thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by TSE, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldentreesang

goldentreesang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe the Z panel has 96%.

Is it safe to say the Z screen is one of the best, if not the best, 13inch laptop display on the market?

2. oltx1008

oltx1008 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you search for the completed listings on ebay and add up the number of units sold for each listing, i beleive you will get 91 (i didnt count, i beleive tehsupermeowmeow did that). eg. sony vaio z | eBay

If you look at the feedback this seller leaves, you will see who bought it. eBay Feedback Profile for service-and-sales

You can do some visual scanning to identify trends. Tehsupermeowmeow was able to find that bostonconsulting group have been left many feedback recently by this seller. Also, if you open the feedback for bostonconsultinggroup, you will see that they have been selling a lot of Zs the last few months and have started buying them in the last few days from this seller.eBay Feedback Profile for service-and-sales

Hope this helps... This is how I do it... all - let me know if there is a better way.

3. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    you should have based your assumptions on the market niche for thin and light 2000+ laptops, see the slice of that market, see the offerings of other companies, cross the data.

Get the numbers for total shipments from sony and the other OEMS, then cross that data again with the previous.

you could do a correlation curve between the 2 sets of data, it should be fairly accurate (I think a deviation of 10-15%), however the most problematic part is to get the market data for the thin and light buyers of the 2000+ laptops. this is fairly difficult to find in the web, and that data set should spread around the world, thus making it more difficult, due to the location and the variation in the price, for example the Z costed 2000+ in the US, while in Brazil it costed 5000+

to think that such a niche product sold millions of units is hard to believe. the flagship model is not supposed to sell that well, its supposed to carry the brand name to newer heights.

For example the best selling macs are the mb white, and the mbp 13, mainly because in the apple environment they are the cheapest way to get a bite. The mbp 15 and the 17 sell very little compared to its smaller brothers. and the mainstream market is the 15'' size.

4. Crystal1988

Crystal1988 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Comparing x220 on notebookcheck and new Z on a review posted pages ago we see:

Brightness: 256 cd/m^2 (x220) against 352 cd/m^2 (Z)
    Contrast: 842:1/center - 826:1/average (x220) against 860:1 (Z)
    Black: 0.31 cd/m^2 (x220) - 0.41 cd/m^2 (Z)
    Color Gamut: 67% sRGB (x220) against 100% sRGB and 90% adobeRGB (Z)
    Delta E: 4.1 average for Z.. don't know about x220

5. Crystal1988

Crystal1988 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Officially it's 96% of adobeRGB and 100% of sRGB but, in review we saw 100% RGB and 90, not 96% of adobeRGB.

Even that, it's without any doubt the best 13" display.. and very good since a low delta E (for laptop) without calibration.

6. Malignant

Malignant Notebook Ninja

Reputations:
    Ah thanks, does that include all Z13's with the 1600x900 screen? I was thinking about purchasing the ebay VPCZ134GX/B, of course now he doesn't have any listed. Hope he puts more of them up.

7. Azaloth

Azaloth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for doing the research. I find it ridiculous that SONY would saddle this ultra-premium product with VGA ports yet now DisplayPort or DVI... and no plans to release a dock with such either? Count me out on the new Z in that case, which is too bad because I have $5k burning a hole in my pocket for a new laptop that could have gone to SONY if not for this issue.

The other laptops you suggested are indeed alternatives but neither gets me at all excited the way the Z would. Let's hope enough people complain about this that SONY wises up and puts out a version of the dock that can drive high-res monitors.

8. Azaloth

Azaloth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just had a thought.... Supposedly HDMI has supported up to 2560x1600 resolutions since version 1.3 (see: HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. With this in mind, would the video card of the new Z (docked or undocked) be capable of outputting that resolution via HDMI. If so, this little Dual Link DVI to HDMI adapater (Amazon.com: DVI-D Dual Link Male to HDMI Female Adapter - Adapts DVI to HDMI - Vice Versa: Electronics) could be a the "missing link" we've all been hoping for to have the Z drive our 30" monitors. Thoughts?

***EDIT: Upon further research it doesn't look like many folks have had luck converting HDMI to Dual-Link DVI. Too bad, I was hoping this could have been a workaround***

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    It helps tremendously! It truly unlocks some of the "mystery" behind these transactions. In the case of this sale of Z13s, the seller was very cagey and all day today (Sat) he/they made 5-10 units available for sale, then shut it down, sometimes in the middle of a transaction, and then if you came back to the listing and reloaded the page, it would be back with a "Purchase" icon. I'm making a formal complaint because as a result of their games I was able to purchase only one, and knowing that some, such as BCG, a huge and prestigious consulting firm, were able to buy perhaps dozens makes me quite irritated.

EDIT: Actually, now seeing that BCG bought and sold dozens and dozens of these from Jan-May, I am finding it highly unlikely that the famous firm by that name would be buying and selling computers on eBay. The "real" BCG would never be in the business of hawking computers to make a few thousand bucks; they are an ultra prestigious consultancy that do multimillion dollar contracts with the likes of General Electric and Proctor and Gamble to help them with corporate strategy. This must be someone who hijacked a blue chip corporate name to buy and sell electronics on eBay. In any event, it looks like we'll see these being sold soon by this group for around $1,400 once Service-and-Sales sells out, if past is prologue. I guess it's an honest living, if speculating in manufacturer's close out computers is your business.

What I'm wondering now is, where are these coming from: Sony, Microsoft? And when will the supply of new Z1's be exhausted? Will prices go lower before they go higher again? I am quite certain there will be plenty of demand for Z1s for at least the next 6 months given the alternatives, including the Z21. Probably will be a big premium for 256GB SSD versions, though. Ok, I'm just rambling now... sorry all. ;)

10. tehsupermeowmeow

tehsupermeowmeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's exactly it! I took extra care not to double count, but feel free to correct my number (I know...I must have had nothing better to do to count the units sold...evidently it's a tedious process -___-)
    Also, they just sold out. I can't be bothered to count anymore, so it has to be greater than 91 by now. They relisted at least once more since I counted, so put that number close to 100, or greater.

Mr. MM! Stats is the one class I hated the most in college :D But I agree, I do find it hard to believe the Z's sold millions. My conclusion was basically 'nope, I can't say for sure without hard figures.' :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.