New Sony Vaio Z speculation/news thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by TSE, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh dear, that $900 deal is awesome.

Should I get that, or wait for the MacBook Airs to come out..... oh gosh....

What kind of battery life do people get from the Z13s in stamina mode with the extended battery?

2. HLdan

HLdan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    First, on the part that I highlighted in red, show me visual proof in numbers from valid data on that immense claim you just made.

Secondly, you're probably wrong. If the new Z sells extremely well regardless of price then that means Sony can sell junk and slap a high price and lemmings will follow. I'd like to think that people interested in a Sony Vaio would be a smarter shopper than that. :p

3. TheProcessCo

TheProcessCo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Statement:
    Since when did the thread become an opinion poll? Could people please try and avoid the gray areas the Mod's can't tackle and keep to the thread title "New Sony Vaio Z speculation/News thread" - as in stick to the facts/ Q&A of the New Vaio Z.

I'm all for debating value and utility but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) people look to this info source for information pertaining to the Vaio Z and not the opinions of people (especially those who haven't played with one).

Question:
    Has there been a disassemble of the PMD posted yet?

4. Crystal1988

Crystal1988 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At the moment, no pics about PMD "exploded"

5. goldentreesang

goldentreesang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you don't like it, don't buy it. Instead of pissing on our hopes and dreams :D

Review units haven't gone out yet, so no ones been able to to tear anything apart. Even the articles titled as "reviews" were just people who spent a lot of time with the machines at an event. The internal pictures of the main unit were provided by Sony.

Too bad, i would really like to see what sony has going on in the pmd.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    EDIT: The seller has put 4 more up for sale (as of 6:15 EDT). Seems they like to create the idea of shortage, get people excited then let down when they see they're all sold out. Then you see at the top of the listing that says "This listing has ended," you see a hyperlink that says "The seller has relisted this item or one like this" and, voila! it's back up for sale and there are 2 or 4 or 6 more! Makes you wonder just how many (dozens??) of these are around. Blinq.com had been selling the exact same retail model for $1,399 last week and sold out on their web site, then showed up on eBay with some 10 more, still at $1,399. I feel really badly for anyone who went today to buy the one for $899, found it sold out, bought the one for $1,399, then saw the $899 one was re-listed.

Nutty stuff. That said, if I had the $, I'd buy up every one at $899 (no tax or shipping charge!), cuz at that price (or a few $100 more) these things are going to remain hot competition for a year or more for the same reason the debate here has been raging: the Z1 may not be the best of anything (except 13" screen quality) but it is so chocked full of features and performs way more than well enough for a very significant percentage of the market. As arth1's list demonstrates, this model has so many features none of the competition (including its own successor) have, things that people really use. Yeah, worth snatching a few of these up if you have the cash, even just for when yours is dropped or stolen :D

7. tehsupermeowmeow

tehsupermeowmeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I myself just ordered one, despite having recently bought a refurb silver Z from sonystyle. I decided I couldn't live with the silver Z and wanted a black Z instead :p

I have to say though, this seller has A LOT of brand new factory-sourced Zs in stock. They keep replenishing it after each unit sold. I've been keeping track of the units sold and units in stock. Seller relisted the item several times. I don't remember the specific numbers of each relisting, but I can tell you the past two days, this same seller sold at least 91 units of the same model (Sony VAIO Z VPCZ134GX/B)!

And amongst the buyers, bostonconsultinggroup seems to be the biggest buyer. They had been buying these Zs like crazy!

This is my opinion, but I think there's a lot of Z13's stocked in factory, and since Z2 is coming out, they want to clear that inventory as fast as possible (Z13's will be devalued quickly once Z2 comes out...but IMHO I still think Z13 beats Z2).

Nope, still at least 4 units left. I suspect the seller will replenish the stock when the existing 4 units run out...but who knows. If you like Z13, get it now! It's brand new from factory, sold at $899.99.

8. Slaughterhouse

Slaughterhouse Knock 'em out!

Reputations:
    There's still 5 available:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-VAIO-Z-VPC...25683962?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item56450d40fa

On another note, I'm sure this has been asked many times but will we be able to either get a better external GPU through a third party to work with the new Z or somehow be able to upgrade the GPU in the PMD?

9. oltx1008

oltx1008 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Where did all the Z13 crop up all of a sudden (and nowhere to be found on sonystyle)? Hope the seller has these units in stock... and doesnt sell units that they didnt even have :)

No kidding, they are indeed on a Z purchase spree the last few months.

I am really eager to find out the definitive US price of the Z2. Anything south of 1500 without the dock would be fantastic

10. tehsupermeowmeow

tehsupermeowmeow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They have to have them in stock? I mean, their credibility seems very good with their near 100% positive feedback rating.

I'm thinking of selling my refurb silver Z1390x at a lower price than what I paid for...but this 899.99 deal is preventing my Z from fetching a good price lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.