New Sony Vaio Z speculation/news thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by TSE, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crystal1988

Crystal1988 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So.. it's "sure" that light peak inside Z... is THAT light peak (I mean.. with the presence o optic fiber)?? And.. USB 3.0/light peak in Z.. is connected to PCIE in wich modality?? 4X? 8X?

2. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    Time will tell whether or not we see 3rd party support here. But ask yourself 2 questions

1.) who's the big player in the USB-IF?
    2.) who designed the light peak implementation Sony is using?

Hint: The answer to both questions is Intel.

3. MikjoA

MikjoA Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    oh damn, no expresscard 34mn anymore in this new Z ?
    How will I be able to connect my eGPU (formerly known as diy vidock) now...

4. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    so why did intel veto itself?

the other problem is the connector problem, why would intel launch thunderbolt with the mac, and announce product availability in the summer?

To own several cables just to use thunderbolt dont make sense, nor to buy adapters. People want it simple, it has to work all the time that I want it to.

The thing with standard is its standard, there are small variations, but they follow a visible pattern. Its illogical to follow an ecosystem diversified when you are competing with product that has already traction in the market

Why did intel delay so much the implementation of USB 3 in the chipset?

And sure only time will tell. But from an economic point of view it doesnt make sense, if it were another market sure the diversification of the product would lead to a dissolution of the lead that the other brand has, specially if you attack in all segments that the company aint the leader by a large margin. Although it would pay to weaken the other brand, your brand would be devaluated since it has spread so far and so much and lost the essence of the former products.

Im reading a MIT study that tells how people react under pressure, and they usually go with the first idea, that has little flaws, there is no clear rationalization nor weighting of different propositions, its almost like a shark, stop swimming and you die, and thats our behaviour regarding tech, specially computers, you skim through your web pages, you dont want to think you want it to work.

5. beaups

beaups New Jack Hustler

Reputations:
    ^understood. Really, we have to understand the mission behind lightpeak. It was never designed to be USB 4 or FireWire 3. It was created to support different physical mediums, transports, connectors, etc. All I can say is intel worked very closely with Sony on this one (internally it's called converged I/O). I'm not optimistic we will see third party support, but we will see. We hasn't exactly seen third party support for apples implementation either. He'll, they just released the first cable 2 weeks ago?

6. eddieaus

eddieaus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the new port will be call "SS", Sony will be releasing a new external hard drive with SS port. i don't really know what "SS" stands for though.

7. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Schutzstaffel. Certain abbreviations are probably best avoided even 60 years later. (Let's just hope Sony never extends this naming to an SS-TV)

8. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it's obviously the Super Sexy port :D

9. Drvec

Drvec Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm scared that one of the "S"s is for "Sony", hence proprietary. :(

Thanks for the info.

10. arth1

arth1 a҉r҉t҉h

Reputations:
    Looks like you may get three. One for the PC, one for the PMD, and one for the sheet battery. The bag for carrying it all might make the Osborne 1 look more attractive again. :wideeyed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.