1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New Sony Vaio Z speculation/news thread

Discussion in 'Sony' started by TSE, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miki69

miki69 Notebook Evangelist

Well I don't see this as a weight savings either. More like weight distribution into secondary unit ;)

New Z weights about 1.2kg, while VPC-Z is 1,5 (or a bit less). If you add sheet battery to new Z (685g) you're close to whopping 1.8kg (and no ODD/GPU included).

I believe 1,5kg was pretty decent trade-off between power and mobility. If you need even lighter laptop there was X series. To me, X series with ULV would be a real counterpart of MB Air.

Like many people pointed here, it's quite awkward using secondary unit attached if you sit on sofa/bed or whatever place but regular desk. And those people who decide not to buy Vdock, will actually have less capable GPU then VPC-z, and one USB port less.

Again, it comes down to if you need all the power, all the time, but I fail to see why Sony didn't put 540M with Optimus inside new Z when they have 2 fans now, huge air vents occupying almost 1/2 of left side, and rubber feet below screen to enhance airflow. Yet they packed Intel 3000 inside. Is it going to run hot as hell?

Cheers,
    Miki

2. Aiga

Aiga Notebook Evangelist

to beaups: is there any news concerning 11"-inch Sony machines on Core i platform and Win7 coming? Have you heard anything (or seen)?

3. Sick Nick

Sick Nick Notebook Consultant

I've been playing with a Z21 the past few days (and owned a VPC-Z12Z before), the screen is about the same, keyboard is flatter but not bad after getting used to it. I love the weight, it feels so light and thin! The dual fan setup also is perfect, its very quiet during normal use and doesnt get hot at all. The VPC-Z12Z I had was always making some small noise and during load would transform into a fighter yet. The PMD unit is also working fine but wouldnt buy that for my personel use (I have a big 17" gaming laptop with AMD 6970M inside :9 ). I currently have a macbook air 13" but will replace that with the new Z for my main notebook, the screen is much better, it feels nicer, weighs less and had keyboard lighting. Also the battery is very good, even with just the internal one i'm getting around hours normal office use (wifi off, connected to LAN, bluetooth on for mouse, screenbirghtness at 80~100%)

4. miki69

what is the noise of PMD under load (gaming)? Does it turn info fighter jet :)?

5. Sick Nick

Havent tried any real gaming on it, dont have games present but I guess it sounds the same as when you power it on (a short burst of the fan at full speed). I wouldnt call it quiet but not as loud as the VPC-Z. Even when running 3 external screens it doesnt make any noise.

6. insomnia_011

insomnia_011 Newbie

Hello friends,

I am from Italy, this my first post.

I have Sony Vaio X, and reading your posts about new Z. Without PMD this look good replace unit for my X

Sorry my english is not too good I use google translate to post :)

Ciao

7. Brawn

Brawn The Awesome

soo... how many hours does it last?

8. miki69

Does the main unit get worm?

9. Generic User #2

Generic User #2 Notebook Deity

you also get between 10-13 hours of battery life with that weight. you know of any other lappies that give you that much battery life at that weight with that much cpu power?

kinda tired of people bringing this point up without recognizing the battery life advantage and the fact that you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

i am also quite interested in this

10. Sick Nick

No, when just using it for normal office use (taking notes during meetings, word/excel, the usual stuff) the top stays perfectly cool. The bottom warms up a bit but not hot at all. Even when running it at full load it stays normal, offcourse the fan does start blowing faster so then there is some noise. But compared to SB/SA models that are making noise all the time this is a giant leap forward.

11. xxGenericSNxx

xxGenericSNxx Z1 Fanboy

Sony Y is the Core i win7 comp, but the US only gets the E350 version. From the various rumors, it doesn't look like any exist. The two tablets run Android and the slider thing seems to be an Atom... (and that's 9.5" or so).

I really wish they made a new TT or an X with an i processor.

12. ota-con

ota-con Notebook Deity

How many hours does it roughly last?

Thanks!

13. miki69

you're kinda missing the point mate. It's not whether I need it or not, it's about weight. VGP-BPL20 weight 462g yet you have everything you need. Plus it doesn't give thickness all over laptop, just at the battery end, and I do like those feet slightly raising laptop.

It's a matter of personal preference, and obviously I'm not fan of sheet battery concept. Did you see how difficult is to attach it? Ok, it's not like you need a degree in mechanics, but much easier with VPC-Z

Cheers,
    Miki

14. xxGenericSNxx

xxGenericSNxx Z1 Fanboy

I must say I hate the BPL20 on my computer. It totally screws up the weight distribution of the computer when carrying it around and having it on my lap. The L20 battery increases life by 50% while the sheet will increase it by 100% while keeping the same weight distribution. And to say the L20 doesn't increase the thickness is not entirely accurate as it does make the laptop taller.

15. miki69

Any idea how much silver stand/holster weights?

16. ota-con

ota-con Notebook Deity

Oh, the silver stand doesn't come bundled?

17. insomnia_011

insomnia_011 Newbie

My brother have Z with that long life battery, and it look very nice when you put it on the table. It look strange when you have laptop in your hand, looking like 3 times more fat on the back then on the front.

18. miki69

it does (at least I hope, looking very classy), but according to this article it "weights as a brick".

19. Generic User #2

Generic User #2 Notebook Deity

of course its about if you need it or not. if you don't need it, its not even an issue?

having a giant battery sticking out of one part of the lappy would actually be horrendous for my personal storage needs. I optimize every part of my 'mobile workstation'. I take into consideration the weight-size of my bag, accessories, binders, and books. A thick bulge would mean I need a bigger, heavier bag or more or tear on my bags which are meant for very thin lappies....but i realize thats just me thats just this obsessive.

I don't get why attaching is a problem. do you bring TWO batteries for the Z1?

oh, where is the video showing attaching the sheet battery?

20. ota-con

ota-con Notebook Deity

Which article?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.