1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

New Sony Vaio Z speculation/news thread

Discussion in 'Sony' started by TSE, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We have a thread for the Sony SA/SB Series, so I think it's right to have a thread for one of the greatest laptops out there's future. :D

The NEW 2011 Z21 IS OUT!

It has been released in Europe and some Asian markets while North America is supposed to get it later this month.

What it has:

-Options of dual-core Core i5 or Core i7 Processors

-8 Hour battery without the Slice, 16 Hour battery with it

-Starting weight of 2.5 lbs

-Options of black, blue, gold, or Premium Carbon Fiber

-1600x900 Resolution screen, 1080p optional

-Backlit keyboard (slight greenish tint)

-Aluminum chasis

-Power Media Dock - connects through Light Peak, can drive up to 4 monitors, Includes an optional blu ray drive with AMD Radeon 6650HD Graphics

What we don't know:

-Is the Power Media Dock optional? It is turning out to be in some markets, it is, and others, it isn't.

-What is the actual battery life in real world use? According to one review, it is 8 hours, 47 minutes which is actually MORE than what Sony advertised.

-Overall build quality

Detailed pictures:

http://kunkoku.livedoor.biz/archives/51943546.html

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/40771/sony-vaio-z-series-hands-on

Review:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/634780/sony-vaio-z-2011-vpcz21m9e-review

2. emev

emev Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good idea to have this thread.

Two more things:
    - It's expected sometime early summer
    - Will be very different from current Z

And big thanks to Beaups for sharing all this information/hints with us.

3. xxGenericSNxx

xxGenericSNxx Z1 Fanboy

Reputations:
    I think it may have been deduced that this model will retain an optical drive due to Sony's tie ins with Blu-Ray technology and how they would not abandon that on their flagship computer.

4. eddieaus

eddieaus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i hope blu-ray drive isn't built-in on the new Z, that would be an instant fail. Optical drive on laptop is NOT the future.

5. baronng

baronng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Memory Stick slot is still on the current Z.......
    I don't think BR Drive will be gone in the near future....

I hope the new version of 13" macbook pro will come with SSD RAID, IPS Full HD Screen, no optical drive, longer battery life with sandy bridge, thinner/lighter chasis and the aluminium unibody that does not wear off......
    this is going to be the truely ultimate notebook .....

6. eddieaus

eddieaus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    recent rumor has it, new macbook pro will use amorphous alloy as the unibody material. it helps macbook pro drop 20% off its weight. Apple will be the first and only company offers amorphous alloy casing on a laptop.

7. fuchstronaut

fuchstronaut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If they wont drop that stupid uber-glossy display, they can do whatever they want... it'll still be a sucky lifestyle notebook and nothing more ;)

8. xxGenericSNxx

xxGenericSNxx Z1 Fanboy

Reputations:
    One thing that bothers me about the current Macbook "Pro" 13" (and maybe 15" but I've only seen this problem on the smaller ones) is that the screen touches the keyboard when closed and since the screen is plastic, the keyboard scratches it almost on the whole surface area. It's very ugly.

9. emev

emev Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let's go back to the Z (I see more than enough Macbooks each day, don't want to see them even in the new Z thread :) ):

I would like it if it has ODD. I use it very rarely, but sometimes I need one.

And besides, one of the most unique things about the Z is that it's a desktop replacement in a small, light-weight package. It has almost everything inside (good CPU, lots of RAM, ODD, dedicated GPU, relatively large SSD/HDD, etc.). A Z without ODD and dedicated GPU wouldn't be so appealing to me.

10. fuchstronaut

fuchstronaut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On the other hand you can realise a better cooling system or a longer battery life but simply dropping the odd which is not needed often.

I'd like to drop the ODD in favor of 2hrs more battery life and less noise.
    Since I think GPU's don't need much space and since you can always switch to Intel's GPU solution, you wouldn't win much by dropping the dedicated GPU.
    They really should bring nVidia stock driver support, so you can use that Chip for CUDA.

11. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Another question added to the list:

Will the new Z still be $2499 when it comes out? Or will it try to more and more turn into a less-niche market notebook?

12. Achusaysblessyou

Achusaysblessyou eecs geek ftw :D

Reputations:
    I hope it remains a high-end luxury model (although the Z base price, at least in the US, is about $1800... although last night MS had a base model Z11 for $1000... lasted about 10 mins on slickdeals)

13. Hexuss

Hexuss Newbie

Reputations:
    I hope that a lot of people (like me) do want all-in-one Z, so this would influence on sales and Sony will get back to 13" old/current style in a year or so..

14. tanalasta

tanalasta Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I too hope that Sony do not dumb down the ultraportable, yet powerful 'Z' as that would defeat the purpose of the model. People do not really need a competitor to the macbook air, they'd buy a macbook air. And if they wanted a business, rugged fast notebook, they'd buy a Lenovo X201s with SSD drives.

Quad core I do not feel would be worthwhile. What effect would that have on heat and battery life? No point having an ultraportable that will not last the distance, especially with the Macbook air batterylife to compete with. A swappable lithium polymer battery that is uniquely shaped (e.g. a large, flat slim battery that slides into the base) with improved battery life would be nice. 4 hours isn't much in today's standards.

I think 1600x900 is satisfactory on the 13" although I admit I have the 1080p

Full sized keyboard, backlit is a must. Optical drive however is optional.

I think a more standardized SSD rather than quad RAID0 would be more pragmatic and perhaps cheaper.

Don't make it too small. Business users, especilly those who use Excel spreadsheets appreciate screen real estate but also the ability to read the damned numbers.

I've bought a 'Z' with the intention of keeping it for 3 years knowing even if technology is superceded, it will still be plenty fast enough for daily use if it lasts that long.

15. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    A lot of people wrote what they wanted from a new Z in this thread-
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...s-what-your-hopes-dreams-vpc-z-successor.html

I temporarily closed the above thread when i thought the SA was about to launch (and many thought it was the Z successor)and also when there were suggestions made that the SA/SB thread should be merged with the above thread as a lot of overlap was happening. I would merge this thread with the CES thread but a good proportion of the discussion seems to centre on the SA/SB and things have moved on since then with what we know about the next gen Z.

You're right, the next gen Z could well do with a thread of its own.The summer seems some time to wait or to speculate to. Hopefully some more info will materalise soon.

Now we know the SA/SB will be Sony's powerhouse what do i think the new Z might be like?

Well, we know it's going to be 13.1 again. I think that we're looking at a weight of around 2.7lbs. In terms of specs and battery life it will compete with the 13" MBP. Possibly if possible the graphics could be built into a slice of some description?
    The optical i'm unsure of. Toshiba used smaller optical drives about 7" but BD drives do not exist in this form. It seems that with the X being discontinued that the next Z will also need to fill that void.

16. mattolejack

mattolejack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt Sony would be stupid enough to take out the discrete GPU, even to put it in an external dock.

Why would you pay for a Z in that case, instead of buying a Macbook Air and a Vidock or an MSI GUS for less money, better performance and a smaller profile? Especially if apple's going to drop a Sandy Bridge Macbook Air this summer, as a lot of people are expecting...

What really makes the Z special is the powerful discrete GPU in such a small package, and putting the GPU in a dock would be idiotic.

17. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    It's going to be more compact that it currently is and i guess lighter. Can you really expect to see a decent dedicated gpu in such a laptop?
    Furthermore, the 13.3 SA full featured power house with switchable graphics will be there and only weigh about 3.2lbs.

The Z will focus more on portablity and for that reason i can see Sony forgoing the built in dedicated gpu.

18. mattolejack

Reputations:
    Lenovo looks like they are going to release a pretty decent Z replacement if Sony really gets rid of the discrete GPU:

Lenovo announces ThinkPad with Sandy Bridge

14 inch screen, so a bit bigger. Less than four pounds and .89 inches thick. 1600x900 screen. Optical drive. Pretty similar to the Z...

The Nvidia NVS 4200m gpu would be a little bit of a downgrade from the Z's GPU, but maybe not too much.

Supposedly with an SSD, it boots cold in 7 seconds. Which is spectacular.

19. mattolejack

Reputations:
    Of course, it looks like the SA will be a pretty similar form factor to the Lenovo t420s as well, with a better GPU...

20. Hayte

Hayte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've heard this argument before but it still doesn't make sense to me. MSI GUS is a pretty crappy graphics card, limited to 1x PCI Express Lane. If it were theoretically possible to have a proprietary dock with 16x PCI-E lanes then that would be infinitely preferable. When you push a powerful GPU its not like you are going to be mobile anyway - it kills battery life and reduces your range to about 2 metres from a wall socket. It also produces a staggering amount of heat and noise which is easier to control in an external desktop surface.

If you could do it this way, you should do it this way. Especially since Sandy Bridge integrated graphics virtually eliminates low end discrete gpus and thats something you can carry around with you, on a battery.