New Sandy Bridge models leak

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Jayayess1190, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weegie

Weegie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why a touchscreen, why not consistently high quality panels instead, do people seriously fancy looking through finger excrement all day, touchscreen to me, would indicate glass covered, glossy, reflections, greasy crap all over the screen

16:9 on the 17" and 14" had to come.

Does Sandy Bridge have proper low power states like C2d ?, don't really know anything about it as I've pretty much lost interest after being extremely disappointed with an i5-540 compared to an X9100

2. derekd

derekd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    All the existing models have DisplayPort, which is more flexible because with a cheap adapter/cable can be HDMI, DVI, or VGA... And it can carry audio as well...

3. debguy

debguy rip dmr

Reputations:
    M6600 with 16:9 and IGP+Optimus (most likely). :eek:
    Seems like I was right a year ago when I panicked to get one of the last usable laptops ever produced. Should I get another M6500 for spare parts as long as I can?

Edit:
    Dis I miss something? Since when can DisplayPort output a VGA signal with a simple adapter (not a D/A converter)?

4. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Finally a hybrid solution for the big M and then they cut the screen down. It's always something.. Does this mean that the depth of the laptop will be reduced also which would mean they have a new case for it?

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's too bad about the move to 16:9 screens. :-\ Looks like I will be running my Latitude D630 and E6400 into the ground before I upgrade. I don't mind 16:9 on my 11 inch netbook screen, but for larger sizes I definitely prefer 16:10.

6. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sandy Bridge is coming - we know that. We can pretty much expect it in the replacement for the M6500. Its an easy prediction.

The 17.3" touchscreen is what already shipped with the Studio 17. The replacement XPS 17 has a touchscreen and a lot of the features that the M6500 has. 4 slots for RAM, Quad CPU, etc. I think someone just looked at the closest consumer model and made a prediction. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/notebooks/dell/xps_17_1710x/365577 Updated for Pirx: Looks like all the review samples of the XPS 17 had the touch screen. Its also listed in the owner's manual for the XPS 17. I don't see it as an option on the purchase page though.

I see the two main competitors to the M6500 as the HP8740W and Thinkpad W710. My guess is that whatever Dell is working on will address any deficiencies it has to those 2 machines if Dell still wants to compete with them. If I remember right, the M6500 came out well before the other two and it was far ahead of both of them. If Dell is staying the course the next machine would leap frog them again.

I am going to wait and see what they come up with. I am not going to lament the move to 16:9 until I actually see it on a press release from Dell. Right now we are going on a site that quoted another site that quoted itself. A site that sources a rumor is just spreading a rumor.

7. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Touchscreen? On a Dell 17"? Where?

8. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I love my touch screen .... ON my MATTE, non glareomatic outdoor readable screen. why on earth put it on a glossy screen ..... and 16X9 .... sorry dell gonna skip this refresh if you do and keep going Elitebooks.

you mean the 8740W not the 8470W :p , now if Dell could be bothered to put in a 16 X 10 IPS screen like HP has done in the 8540W and 8740W, THEN I would be a happy camper.

9. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ah, I didn't know that. The XPS 17 indeed is not offered with a touchscreen (anymore?).

I am not entirely sure if a touchscreen would really make sense on a large-format laptop. Something light and thin, with a flip screen (like those new little Dells), that I can imagine, but I don't know if I would use touch on my Precision M6600, if I had one, and smudge up that beautiful screen in the process... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.