New Sandy Bridge CPUs

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by ganzonomy, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave1780

dave1780 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm not that great with tech stuff like these CPU's, but I was planning on buying a new laptop from Malibal(most likely) this week, possibly early next week. They still have the original CPU's, like the i7 2630QM, etc. So is it really not a big difference between the new ones and old? I just heard about the new ones so I was thinking of waiting, but I really need a new laptop lol.

Currently, I'm on a 5 year old business class laptop and now have a hard time to even get the laptop to charge up with the adapter(I've tried 2 of them)... :(

2. Massivex

Massivex Newbie

Reputations:
    So what does this is the default 2360QM going to be redundant and be replaced with 2720QM now that new CPUs are released?

3. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    People! Read my lips!

There. Is. Not. Much. Difference. Between. These. Processors.

I really cannot get any clearer than that.

Mr. Mysterious

4. terminus123

terminus123 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no, I doubt it. 26xxQM will still be default CPUs.

btw, seems like only a 200MHz difference. In terms of what I will be doing (gaming, some CAD, some PS) not oging to be a noticeable difference. If the archeticutre was different, that might be a different story. But 200Mhz+ for same price is nice though. I would say not worth it to wait if it's about a week longer, but worth the wait if it's like 2-3 days longer.

5. klaus_2011

klaus_2011 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I Agree. However I am not sure where to put my personal 'waiting limit'. I think I would wait 2-4 weeks. If it takes longer than that I'll probably take the 'old' 2720QM.

BTW: Originally I was thinking whether to buy a 2720QM or a 2820QM. I eventually decided to go for the smaller one because the difference is only 100MHz but 200 USD. But now the new 2760QM costs the same as the 2720QM but has 200MHz more - this sounds like a very good deal to me :)

6. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    exactly, I dont remember the name of the new processor, but it will 2.2GHZ and turbo up to 3.X GHZ, its basically the clocks of the 2720qm

7. Bryanu

Bryanu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keep in mind people when someone says only 200Mhz more, its really 800Mhz because its 200Mhz per core.

So thats almost 1Ghz more which if the apps support multi core and thread good is a decent increase in performance.

Even if it can only take advantage of 2 cores at a time that's 400Mhz better. So while 200 does not sound like much it is in the grand skeem of things because its multiples. Its about a 9% improvement overall though.

And we see what people pay for minor 10-15% GPU increases, so 9% on a cpu for same price is a good deal! Sucks I just got my replacement laptop last week, but what can ya do.

8. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    scheme

And we've seen in comparisons of processors that the CPU impacts on game framerates much less than the GPU does...

The 200MHz is not worth worrying about if you've got the previous one. It will quite literally be an insignificant gain in anything other than benchmarking.

9. Bryanu

Bryanu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I always like skeem better, sound more like a dirty word like getting scammed because in the end we all do by technology haha.

But anyway yea, for most games it wont do anything.

But those of us that don't just game it can make a different. I use this laptop for working from home and school also. I do everything from playing with large databases to code and running calculations. CPU means a lot to me, almost as much as GPU. I just couldn't justify taking the next step up on the CPU so took the one under it. The GPU I could because I need my fun time after all that hard work! haha

But when working, most often my CPU is 50% or hire, not to mention I have some VMs going on too.

10. LostInaMaze

LostInaMaze Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    But there is a difference! why would u not want to have the best of the best updated version of something that runs at the same price as the older one u got or just ordered?

I think you are talking about the 2670qm right?
    Intel Core i7 2670QM Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech

kinda miffed that this didnt get launched with the others at this time.

Edit: from what i could find around the net, this is rumored to also be launched this month

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.