New Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C-S01US Laptop i7 3615QM 650m Review!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulnelson88, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boysangur

boysangur Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Curious why you want to replace the top cover.

I'm about to finally replace my HD. I was thinking about upping the RAM to 12gb while I'm at it. Has anyone an opinion on this one? Would it work with this laptop? Suspiciously cheap...

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's nothing wrong with the price of the Kingston RAM. Crucial is even less expensive. Either should work.

However, if the BIOS on your notebook is less than 1 year old it might include a bug that has made the computer fussy about the RAM being used (see here for example). The last BIOS for my NP900X4C killed support for the Crucial 1.35 / 1.5V modules I was using so the computer appeared dead. I put back the original RAM and it came back to life.

You might want to get the RAM from somewhere which claims compatibility with your Z7C so you can send it back if it doesn't work.

John

3. boysangur

Reputations:
    Thanks, John. Helpful as always. I read someone say that they didn't experience this issue with this stick. I might go with that one instead. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:

So I finally swapped the drive. A relatively painless process, except for the bottom plastic being so fragile. Everything seems to be flying with no issues. I have just a couple of questions that I hope someone might see and provide some tips on:

1) So far, the only issue/annoyance that I'm experiencing is that Bluetooth is always ON in Easy Settings. If I turn it off and restart, it goes back to on when i check easy settings. I have even disabled my bluetooth device in device manager and it still turns on by default in easy settings :mask:

2) I'm not entirely sure what happened to my 8GB of ISSD. I erased it during Windows installation and I did not install the ExpressCache software, basically completely ignoring its' existence. I expected it to appear as an extra drive but saw it as "unallocated" space in disk management so I just disabled it there. I don't need it but I hope I did the right thing.

3) I see that my RAM says 8GB (7.79 usable). Any reason why the usable RAM is slightly less? (I did not upgrade my ram yet, it's still 8GB). Oh and while I'm at it, when I was checking msconfig, I noticed that the "number of processors" is checked and shows 8. What?

4. boysangur

Reputations:
    bump (hope that's allowed).

5. namaiki

namaiki "basically rocks" Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1) Windows 7's "Easy Settings" program used to have an option to default Bluetooth to be turned off. Seems to have disappeared in Windows 8.
    2) You could format initialize and format it if you want to use it. Similar to you I have just left it there doing nothing.
    3) The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers
    The amount of CPU cores that Windows sees is double because of hyperthreading.

6. kooyonga

kooyonga Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh wow! Just found this forum after purchasing this back in September 2012 in the UK (NP700Z7C-S01UK). I replaced the 1tb drive with a Samung 840 EVO 250gb SSD. I am having a small problem after starting Windows however. After about two minutes the whole thing will freeze and I cannot access internet. I have to disconnect from my connection and reconnect. After that and when it unfreezes I have no more trouble. It only started happening after installing the SSD and it only occurs at start up or when restarting from Hibernation, Sleep etc. Also when I select "Restart" it gets stuck at the screen with "Phoenix" over at the bottom right (it also lists what buttons to press for the BIOS and Recovery).

As I said it's not a major thing but it's starting to get repetitive. I don't think I ever updated the BIOS so perhaps it's something to do with that? By the way is there a kind of FAQ for this thread please? The same questions probably have been asked and answered repeatedly but I don't fancy reading all 212 pages!! :)

Thanks for any help guys!

7. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi kooyonga, welcome to NBR.

Did you re-install Windows on the new SSD or did you clone it from the original HDD? Which Windows version? And did this model originally come pre-installed with Win8 or Win7 (Win8 models came out just when you bought this and have a completely different BIOS).

If you were re-installing Win7 on the SSD, I highly recommend you follow the steps in our Win7 install guide, which includes critical steps for changing from UEFI mode (used by WIn8 models) to legacy BIOS mode (used by Win7 models).

If you were re-installing Win8.1, you definitely need to update to the latest BIOS. In fact, I doubt you could have completed installing Win8.1 with that old BIOS. I would update that BIOS in any case. When you DO update your BIOS, make sure you follow the safe practice in our BIOS Update thread.

This is the Owners Lounge thread for the N7C model. While some Original Posters of such threads do an amazing job of keeping the Opening Post updated with frequently answered questions (such as this) it is a lot of work and rare.

The Samsung Forum Sticky list (at the top of the Samsung forum) contains some links to common questions. You can also use the Search Thread feature or Google searches such as site:notebookreview.com/samsung NP700Z7C SSD installation.

8. kooyonga

kooyonga Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there!! I forgot about this so sorry for the delay. To answer your questions I cloned the drive which had Windows 7 pre-installed. I did actually install a fresh pirated copy of Windows 7 on the new SSD before I figured out how to clone the existing drive and it was also having the same problem (freezing for about a minute or two a minute or two after booting!!).

I tried disabling AHCI but kept getting a BSOD after the Windows logo.....

SOLVED!!!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/solved-device-ide-iastor0-did-not-respond-within-the-timeout-period-634560.html

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thank you for the update. So disabling Link Power Management solved it for you? That's good to know if others should report similar problems. For those who don't want to edit their registry (as advised in that link) LPM can also be disabled under Advanced Settings for the Windows power plan. The High Performance plan has it disabled by default.

kooyonga likes this.
  10. kooyonga

kooyonga Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for those tips. Even though I put registry keys upto "Port4" it still caused another freeze for me today (and showed up in Event Viewer). So I added a "Port5" and went for the "High Performance" plan as you said. The fecking thing is unreal....it just keeps coming back at me!!! If I never see "iaStor" again it'll be too soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.