New Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C-S01US Laptop i7 3615QM 650m Review!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulnelson88, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. namaiki

namaiki "basically rocks" Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Great idea. I believe bluetooth and wifi are both on the same chip as well which interfering with each other. Bluetooth can be disabled somewhere in Easy Settings.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You definitely do NOT sound dumb! As namaiki said, Bluetooth and WiFi are on the same card, and both have radios.

If you use Win7 and disable Bluetooth in Easy Settings, it actually power downs the Bluetooth module completely (and you can keep this setting across reboots). When I used Win7, I also disabled Bluetooth AMP on the Advanced tab in WiFi Adapter Settings (double-click the WiFi adapter in Device Manager).

For those using Win8, it's a bit trickier: Here you have to use Charms - Settings - PC Settings - Wireless to disable Bluetooth. (And you MUST have Samsung's Bluetooth drivers installed for this feature to be there. I prefer Win8's slimmer built-in BT driver). But it doesn't actually power down the Bluetooth module, it merely disables it in Device Manager. The module is still powered on (otherwise Device Manager wouldn't see it). And this means the radio could still be on. You can still disable Bluetooth AMP in Adapter Settings.

There are several other things you can do to help WiFi on these Samsung laptops -- particularly relevant for models with Intel 6235 WiFi adapter, which is known to be troublesome. I've tried to summarize the most common in the thread linked below, but admittedly, I didn't include this Bluetooth advice -- which I probably should. So thank you for sharing it :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/727499-wifi-remedies-samsung-laptops.html

3. bpasto

bpasto Newbie

Reputations:
    Hahaha, thank you for that!!
    I hope I helped someone out there.
    And I better save that WiFi Remedies thread.

4. DeepS6X

DeepS6X Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm probably posting in the wrong thread but I'll give it a go here. I have a Samsung 700Z7C. It was slow as a dog with the 1GB hard drive so I finally decided to upgrade it to a SSD. Everything went fine, tested it with the back cover off as soon as I installed it, as it is a real PITA to get the plastic bottom off of it. Installed windows, all of the drivers, and it was now the fast machine I wanted all along. But then after putting the cover back on, I restarted it and the screen remains black. The lights are on, fans start spinning, but the screen shows nothing.

Looks like I just bricked it and voided the warranty at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas of what might have gone wrong when I put the cover back on it? I haven't tried prying it all apart and looking for loose connections yet.

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @DeepS6X: Yikes, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it's just a connection problem and not a short on the mainboard.

I took the liberty of moving your post to this thread, which is the Owners Lounge for your model. I think you have a better chance of a response from other owners of this model here. If you don't get a response within 24 hours, you are welcome to try posting in a new thread -- or maybe even in the 2013 Series 7 / Ativ Book 8 Owners Lounge, which is very active.

Fingers crossed for you!

6. DeepS6X

Reputations:
    Thanks. I didn't know where to post it.

I watched Paul's video on upgrading the Z7C to a SSD, which was very helpful, but that back cover is still a B*tch to get off. Like I said, everything was working with the back cover off, I even tried the bluetooth kill suggestion above to improve the wifi performance, and it seemed to work for me as well. If it hadn't, I was going to try popping in the new intel 7260 802.11AC wireless card.

I wouldn't say killing bluetooth did wonders for the Z7C, but it did help a bit. Previously the best speeds I could get out of the computer were almost exactly half of what I could get out of every other computer and wifi device in my house. After killing bluetooth, it jumped to about 25% slower. Still bad, but no longer horrible.

Maybe I just squeezed something too hard trying to get the plastic clips to lock together again.

Powering it back on, the fans start spinning, the lights next to the power button light up, it is plugged in so it is charging, but it just hangs with a blank screen.

I'll pry her open again tomorrow and put the old mechanical hard drive back in and see if the problem is drive related. I doubt it though, as my M4 has been rock solid while half a dozen SSD's I've owned have all died.

7. DeepS6X

Reputations:
    Well it turns out that the problem was with the ram. Somehow snapping the case back together dislodged the clip on one side of it. Popped it back in and everything works again.

By the way, I believe in Paul's SSD upgrade video for the Samsung 700Z7C he implies that the other memory stick could be accessed from the back side of the mother board. Not true. It is soldered to the motherboard right under the replaceable one. I didn't try replacing the 4GB stick with an 8GB stick, but I've heard this will work on this laptop.

The SSD does make it even quieter. It is still a wee bit louder than my Zenbook though, but of course, with a GPU that is to be expected.

8. DeepS6X

Reputations:
    One last thing that I should add to the thread. It might help people learn from my mistake. If you are upgrading the Samsung 700Z7C hard drive to an SSD, when taking the back cover off, start prying it away in the monitor corner that doesn't have the VGA port, then work your way around popping the plastic clips. By the time you get to the VGA port, the cover will slide over it quite easily.

Cheers all!

9. jmdon

jmdon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there

Firstly, thanks for the excellent thread. I have been lurking for a while and picked up some very useful information.

I installed an SSD as was highly recommended and have to say and I am delighted with the improvement.

Unfortunately I seem to have damaged the case slightly (wear and tear, not whilst installing the SSD).

The plastic on the front left corner has chipped away a bit, and the top left corner by the screen is slightly dented.

I want to replace the strip of plastic at the front that separates the top cover from the bottom cover and also the top cover itself. Does anyone know if these are available to buy (preferably in the UK) anywhere at a reasonable price?

thanks

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Hello jmdon, welcome to NBR.

We normally refer to samsungparts.com for spare parts. Even if you do not purchase from there, you can use it to lookup the parts number, then Google that to locate suppliers closer to you and/or with better prices.

In this case I didn't actually check myself whether the parts you seek are listed on samsungparts.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.