New Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C-S01US Laptop i7 3615QM 650m Review!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulnelson88, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeepS6X

DeepS6X Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had the same laptop for about 7 months now. It continues to function as well as it did a week after I bought it. I say a week after, because that was when my first forced restart happened. I'm not sure why it needs to be forced, or who is forcing it. Samsung or Microsoft. Probably MS. Basically, I get an update for something downloaded, and the next time I take it out of sleep mode, a message appears telling me the laptop will reboot in x minutes. Usually 15 if I recall correctly. There is no way out of it, unlike with Win 7, and no way to pause it for later. That darn reboot is going to happen, like it or not. Anyway, long story short, the first reboot must have installed the software that made the brightness sensor active. Since then, I can't force the screen to stay at max brightness, even with the laptop plugged in 99% of the time. And occasionally the backlit keyboard gets turned off, so when I exit sleep mode, in the wee hours of the morning, the keyboard doesn't light up until I've logged in. Kinda useless if you ask me. Just let me turn it on and have it on all the time, like it was functioning when I first received it. Does anyone know how to turn the auto light sensor off? I'm assuming I just need to delete a certain driver to fix the problem.

I'm on this thing about 12 hours a day, and it hasn't gotten any louder. A little surprising because of the dusty environment in which I work. The matte screen is great. Good color reproduction, and most importantly, no reflections. It is such a crying shame that just as laptop manufacturers were starting to clue in that this is the better way to go, that frickin' intel started forcing useless touch screen on all of the new laptops. You can do matte touchscreens, but nobody is doing it these days. Really not looking forward to my next purchase. It will be difficult to find another nice matte screen like this one.

Can I offer a complaint as well? This keyboard layout sucks. Seriously Samsung, do us all a favour and stick to the US keyboard layout and just DON'T SELL IT IN QUEBEC!. Forcing all of Canada to use this keyboard layout is a sin in my book.

The touchpad is nice. Not apple nice, but still better than most.

Two changes I'd like to make are putting in a SSD and changing out the wifi module for a dual band version. Yes, wifi does suck on this unit. It is the only laptop I've ever had that had any connection problems in my current location. I've had 5 of them. My 8 year old dell works better for browsing than this does. It is a shame.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the wifi module in it? I've already found Paul's excellent youtube video for installing a SSD.

Thanks all and I hope this helps with your purchase decision. Quiet, high quality, relatively light, stylish, with some flaws.

2. LohausFor3

LohausFor3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the excellent review, Deep! My machine is on its way.

That's unfortunate about the wifi. I just hope it's fixable to some degree, either with a simple USB adapter or being able to eventually swap out the module as you suggested.

3. DeepS6X

DeepS6X Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I'd rather avoid the usb wifi adapter if possible. Always getting caught on stuff. It isn't unusable by any means, but it is disappointing. I haven't checked their new laptops yet, but I sure hope they are starting to put in dual band wifi these days. I've been waiting for my warranty to get close to running out before cracking (hopefully not literally) the case to put in a SSD, but I've grown impatient. I'll probably pick one up during the national holiday sales in a couple of weeks and install it. I'll let you all know how it goes at that time.

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @DeepS6X: Lots and lots and lots of discussion about brightness in various threads here. Try the suggestions in this post to disable Adaptive Brightness and regain max brightness.

5. g73jay

g73jay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone just picked up this laptop about a week ago and this laptop has done nothing but impress me in every way possible :) Battery life, performance, looks, and weight, I currently have an asus g75 as well and what a difference in size and weight lol i was wondering tho i remember in the asus form people soldering their chargers onto the alienware chargers to make it fit onto there laptops would this be possible to do if we were to maybe use the series 7 gamer charger (240w). I dont know a thing about soldering which is why im asking, would love to see someone attempt this project so that way maybe temps can cool and pc wont be so bottle necked on high performance games ( i base this statement off of a lot of peoples claims, i myself have yet to try a high demanding graphics game on this laptop but other games run solid for me)

6. alizuhal

alizuhal Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I have a weird issue about built-in microphone. I'd appreceiate your help. My problem is that when I touch anywhere of the laptops upper body I hear sizzling. If I don't touch anywhere that's ok. Sound is very clear. But otherwisw, it becomes very loudy sizzling. I've never opened up the pc. Any suggestions?

7. vatz

vatz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello.

Does anyone know the model of the battery? My laptop is no longer covered by the warranty and I need to replace it, but as I can't see the model it's difficult to find the replacement. A Google search of the model and "battery" or "battery replacement" as you can imagine is without any luck. I've searched in samsungparts.com, and amazon, but without the part number I can't find anything.

Thanks

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hello vatz,

On Samsungparts.com, if you enter your model number and select Part Type=BATTERY you should get the following:

Samsungparts NP700Z7C-S01US battery.PNG

Then search for better prices on that part number on other sites.

9. vatz

vatz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!

10. bpasto

bpasto Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm not really sure if i have posted here before... But let me say this, I've been following this post for about a year now since i bought the NP700Z7C and it has helped me A LOT. You guys have no idea how much and i'm sure there must be many others like me who keep reading everything you post here to find any solution to any problem they might come up with.

Now, about the WI-FI...
    Ever since i bought it I've had trouble with it. Sometimes i did have wi-fi and sometimes i didn't. UNTIL several months ago i managed to disconnect the Bluetooth device (i don't really remeber how i did it... somewhere over Control Panel or Easy Settings i guess) and it suddenly began working EXCELLENT. I don't know why.
    I was getting so desperate and I didn't know what to do... so i just though maybe the Bluetooth might be interfering it.

I don't know much about electronics and I don't know if this has been mentioned before. I am sorry if I sound dumb about all this... please understand i don't consider myself someone who knows about computers.
    But this has helped me and I hope this can help others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.