New Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C-S01US Laptop i7 3615QM 650m Review!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulnelson88, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jocelyn84

Jocelyn84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, that's horrible. BTW if you return for exchange, they'll give you another grade 8 from what I've read on slickdeals.

As for the caddy, I've already seen the post you're referring to and Everest says it's Sata III as well. The problem/unsure thing is the physical connector on the board. I own the same caddy you linked, but the connector on it is only Sata II. I've actually found two caddies that have a Sata III connector, but the connector on the laptop could be Sata II and I'm not sure if I want to try it. I'm actually thinking about buying a 512GB Plextor M3 or Samsung 830 to couple with the 1TB HDD instead. Thanks though!

2. tommytomatoe

tommytomatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you are going to use a ssd with hdd setup, you don't need the optical bay to be SATA iii. Just move the hdd to the optical bay and put the ssd in the main slot, which is SATA iii. Hdd won't even max out SATA ii speeds so you're good to go :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

3. Jocelyn84

Reputations:
    Yeah, if I were doing SSD + HDD I wouldn't have posted this. I currently have a two SSD setup and would like to keep both the Samsung and Plextor inside, with no HDD.

4. tommytomatoe

tommytomatoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh I see. Your previous post said you'd like to get Samsung or plextor to couple with hdd. That's why I chimed in :)

Hey if I could afford two 512mb ssd right now I would do it too :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Jocelyn84

Reputations:
    I guess I didn't really explain it well lol. I'm either going to try this new Sata III caddy with my Plextor M3 256GB/Samsung 830 256GB combo or buy a 512GB SSD for $400 to couple with the 1TB HDD. I'm parting out my desktop soon, so the I want to spoil the internals of the laptop lol. Anyway, I'm leaning towards the 512GB, because I'd be bummed if the laptop connector turned out to be Sata II. I'll post back if I decide to try the new caddy :)

Edit: Based on Intel Rapid Storage, the bios, and PC-Wizard, I've concluded the second drive is running on port 2 (0,1,2,3 Intel RST based) aka 3 (1,2,3,4 Bios based) and can therefore only run @ 3Gbps. I have no idea why it took me so long to realize I could just open Intel RST to see the configuration, but it looks like Samsung stuck the iSSD on port 1/port 2 (Intel RST based/Bios based).

6. thunder 47

thunder 47 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I just got this computer and I was wondering if there was a way to clean off the bloatware? It has been quite some time since I got a computer, and I just would like to know what is safe to remove and what isnt. I don't want to install my software package until I know that I don't have to do a clean install of Win7.

Also I have some questions:

Is the Easy Software manager necessary? I am an intelligent person, I don't need some program taking up my resources telling me I have to back up every 10 minutes.

Is there a way to override the Keyboard Backlight settings? I got this computer because it had strong graphics, a nice screen, and a backlit keyboard. I didn't ask for some software program to dictate when I could use the lighted keyboard.

Is it necessary to have the Intel graphics HD manager AND the Nvidia control center?

I read that the audio has a subwoofer, how do I manage the equalizer? The RealTek manager just asks me what configuration my speakers are in.

Thanks guys, this is definitley a step up from my Dell Studio (2008)

7. PulCzar

PulCzar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, those features are controlled from the bloatware program Easy Settings. lol

8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ESM will usually find new updates sooner than they are posted on the Samsung downloads site. You can customize the notification area to hide the ESM notifications. The keyboard backlight control is in Easy Settings.

Bloated because it includes a lot of functionality for controlling hardware.

John

9. baseballfan

baseballfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    does anyone have any idea where i can buy a spare bottom cover because i really dont feel comfortable disassembling this machine to install an ssd unless i have a backup cover just incase i break off the plastic clips. also i dont know about u guys but know matter how careful i am i am scratching the bottom up really bad.

10. Cubed

Cubed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well Samsung really are a bunch of no-hopers when it comes to selling their products in the UK. The website is woefully out of date and doesn't include any of the new models.

They have pulled the 700Z7C from the market and when I call them up they say they don't know when they will be available again. All they do it check their own website which is out of day and say the products don't exist! Don't businesses actually want to make money anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.