New Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C-S01US Laptop i7 3615QM 650m Review!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paulnelson88, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madda

madda Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just received my laptop and first impression is quite good. Screen seems to be ok, look is good, weight and size normal.

So how can I update the drivers? I think I have wi-fi problems, the speed os only 0.5 Mbps, should be atleast 6-7:rolleyes:

2. peterbee

peterbee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Successful SDD install / HDD relocation! :D I'm super happy

Of course there were plenty of hick-ups inbetween, but where would the fun be without thinking you've destroyed the thing you are still paying for.. lol : )

So I put a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD where the main HDD was, and put the 1 TB HDD into this caddy

SATA 2nd HDD Hard Drive Caddy for 9.5mm Universal CD / DVD-ROM Optical Bay | eBay

My plan was for the bios to see the HDD on the CD slot, and allow me to boot from the recovery partition... nope. I ended up putting the DVD drive back temporarily, and installing windows from the Samsung disk.

** back up your samsung software with the recovery solution software to a disk and HDD ** It has every thing you need that is included in the factory install, and allows you to pick and choose, so none of those stupid cyberlink games were ever on my new SDD. It does all of it through the Easy software manager interface. Very cool. Everything works as it did when I bought it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Daedalus124

Daedalus124 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Umm.... Can you give me the steps you took to go through and install the drivers and everything into the SSD? LOL Yes I am a noob

4. peterbee

peterbee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the very first step is to do the 'system software' backup via the Samsung recovery manager application before pulling your HDD out. From what I can tell, just downloading stuff from Samsung's website doesn't cover it all, so I think this is essential, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. So I just put that on an external HDD.

Then when your SSD is in, boot up with the Samsung windows CD that was included in the drive, and set the boot order in the bios so it's first.

I have been hearing about people having trouble with the integrated memory while installing Windows, but I did't. I just selected the SSD and off it went.

When you get windows up and running, just go to where you put the samsung software backup, run the EXE file. This will open the Samsung Software Manager that you are used to seeing. All the available programs that were installed on the PC when you got it are there, and available for install. I just did all the critical drivers first, CPU, video drivers, LAN, wireless, etc, and then moved on to stuff like the touchpad and Easy Setting Manager...

Good luck!

5. Anira

Anira Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all. I purchased this laptop and it is coming in tommorow.

I do have a couple questions though. when i was reading the first few pages of this thread i saw that it only had one drive bay, but later saw that someone had installed a second Drive bay. Can anyone tell me how to do this? i would love to be able to us a 128gb SSD for the main drive so that the system runs a bit smoother, but i would also like to be able to keep the 1TB drive that is has for Storage. and i've been seing mixed information about the memory for the 650m graphics card it has. I looked at Nvidia's site and it says that the 650m comes in either gddr3 or gddr5 versions. when i ordered it from best buy i asked them and they said it has Gddr3 memory for the graphics but i've seen many reviews stating that it had GDDR5. can someone clarify this for me? the exact model i ordered was NP700Z7C-S01US. I'm really hoping this laptop lives up to the expectations i've been hearing about for it. It's going to be replacing an i7 Sony Vaio F series that i got a couple years ago. it was nice and still runs fairly well. but in my opinion gets WAAAAY too hot for sitting on my lap... from everything i've seen this one has much better specs overal (though my vaio did have a Blu-Ray Drive).
    Last question i have is i know the 650M supports 3d display but does the laptop itself feature 3d? wether it's through active glasses or not it would be great if it did.

Anira

6. bensmith0212

bensmith0212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For replacing the disc drive with a HDD, someone made a guide to do it with the 15in model of this, somewhere on this forum. The nvidia graphics is a GDDR5 and the laptop itself is not 3D.

7. shonguiz

shonguiz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys could you tell when is this laptop is going to hit canadian market ?

8. c152driver

c152driver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I use Fn-F12 to toggle wireless off or on, the screen blanks out for a second or two, similar to what would happen when you change the resolution. Does this happen for anyone else?

9. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. tian105

tian105 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the screeb is just an O.K to you?! thought it was the best after seeing it in store today..and the speakers are truly amazing.. and ive own high end dell ips mintors and many pairs of high end headphones..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.