New Sager NP8952 Max-Q Laptop

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Xennyatta, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Xennyatta

Xennyatta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't see a thread in progress about this so I thought I'd start a new one.

Given the idea that Max-Q is the lite version of it's level, am I safe to assume that a 1070 MaxQ that comes in the new 8952 is equivalent to say a 1060Ti? And if that is the case, is it worth the $200 price upgrade from the NP8950 with just a 1060 in it?

Also, given neither one has a 120hz refresh rate screen and just the 8952 has an option for 4k, is the 4k worth it and wouldn't it be just a huge battery drain?

Just trying to get some thoughts and ideas on this new machine compared with the 8950.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Delgada89

Delgada89 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I thought the MaxQ's whole benefit was reduced weight and slimmer form factor. It's not much cooler and it's definitely slower (15% I think) so take that as will. I think it's a good niche product for those who want super thin portable gaming machines.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's taking the top chips and sliding them down to rest in the most efficient part of their clock/power consumption curve which typically gives better performance than a lower chip at that same point.

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    In another thread I mentioned that it's an upgrade either way from the 1070. You either take the raw performance upgrade of the regular 1080 or the smaller performance upgrade of the 1080 Max-Q and get the temperature / sound / form factor upgrades that come with that chip. Both are additional value, just with MQ not all of it is performance.

5. Xennyatta

Reputations:
    Is the 4k monitor worth it and is it battery destroying?

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    IMO if you care about battery life then the 4k is not worth it as it will hurt battery times.

7. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Unless you really need the detail for work, a 4K screen will only result in lower performance and weird scaling issues on laptops. I don't personally recommend them unless you have very specific requirements for visual work like editing, and directly recommend against them for gaming. With 1080p 120Hz panels available, for a gaming laptop it's not even a choice in my mind.

8. Thousandmagister

Thousandmagister Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ^This . I opted for 13 inch Quad HD+ display (3200x1800) , it's much more beautiful than 1080p IPS Panel but most apps don't scale correctly . I don't regret my decision but still ...
    You won't have worry about battery life unless you game at 4k (because that will activate your dGPU). Most of the time , your display resolution is handled by Intel HD and Intel HD doesn't consume much power , even at 4k

9. Tanner@XoticPC

Reputations:
    Yes. Intel HD default supports 4K at I think 24Hz or 30Hz, and you likely won't notice much in day to day operation.

10. Xennyatta

Reputations:
    See I like the new maxq sager coming out. I'm just sad there's no 120hz monitor. It's just what I've been looking for in every other way though. Thin and light, decent battery that's not dead in an hour, easy to travel with and I can game on it.