New Sager(Clevo) NP8954 & NP8955...?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Bensmack, May 26, 2018.

1. Bensmack

Bensmack Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Your current machine isnt much worse than the clevos u listed. You're probably better off upgrading your graphicscard to a GTX 1070.

3. Bensmack

Bensmack Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was actually considering that, which is what led me back to these forums...the extra gpu power would be nice, but the main reason I'm looking to "upgrade" to something new is that I need something that's a little more portable, with all my current traveling. My current rig is almost 11lbs with the power brick, these new max-q designs seem like the perfect fit of portability without sacrificing much of my performance.

I'm just not really finding any info on either of these new clevo builds, except on the product pages. thanks for the advice though...I'm still considering upgrading some things on this one now, even if I get something new soon.

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Get a MSI GS 65 then, its far superior to the nerfed clevo jokebooks.

5. aIex

aIex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't forget to mention, that for this "far superiority" he'll have to pay around 400-600 USD more. ;)

6. Bensmack

Bensmack Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Don't worry, I'm not swayed by the other higher priced vendors...I learned my lesson years ago with Alienware. But I certainly don't have a problem with people having brand bias, it's healthy for supply/demand and innovation.

After seeing a handful of previews and early hands-on, I think I'm sold on one of these, but the problem now is the difference...the screen quality seems to be the only difference in the two, one being a 120hz TN and the other a 144hz IPS. My wallet and urge to get it asap are leaning towards the 8954 with the TN screen...but my gut is telling me to just wait a little while to get the IPS. urgh!

7. aIex

aIex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The TN will respond faster so if you are sensitive to ghosting will do well. However IPS offers stronger viewing angles especially vertically so it has a much larger sweet spot.

9. ahmad hendeh

ahmad hendeh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Btw pal. The msi GS63 AND GS65 use the 80w versions too(not surprisingly since the msi gs65 is the lightest one). Gigabyte stands alone with the superior 90w version(but gigabyte ruined it's performance with single channel BS so its just a tad faster)

Between the MSI GS65,AERO 15X, Razer Blade 2018, and the sager your min-maxing . The sager is the best value, but it has mediocre battery life. The gs65 is the thinnest and lightest but its difficult to change anything and its build quality is meh(its 200$ cheaper than the aero). The aero 15x is the jack of all trades having the a GPU that clocks faster than the other two and the best battery life but its the most expensive at 2300$

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's the way it usually is with notebooks, there is a choice to exactly which balance best suits you. It tends to keep it more interesting than desktops.