New Razer Blade & Razer Blade Pro

Discussion in 'Razer' started by neoideo, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:
    Well guys here is my mini review and my own personal feelings regarding the Razer Blade 14 256gb. I'll be giving it the pros and cons below.

GOOD
    - Premium and splendid feel on the outer casing with its cold metal aluminum
    - Amazing performance with a gtx card and a haswell quadband cpu in such a thin and light laptop
    - Very good battery life while on balanced mode w/ 40% brightness and wifi on just web surfing, was able to get 5.5-6hrs from 100% to 5% hibernation track via task manager. Huge improvement over my former W230ST, Y410p, Alienware14 where I was only able to get 3-3.5hrs with the same scenario and condition.
    - Absolutely no keyboard ghosting on any key combination with no flex at all
    - Full performance and same frames per sec even when on battery

BAD
    - Display resolution is actually perfect at 900p and the brightness, colors, black levels, and viewing angles of the TN panel are good enough but that's not the reason why I don't like the display. I usually like anti glare matte tn panels especially when they are clear but the damn matte display on the Razer 14 is so grainy and smudgy.
    - The Razer Blade 14 has a hitch pitch buzzing sound and it could be a cpu or gpu whine and the sound stays and intensifies when scrolling with mouse or touchpad
    - The power Brick also has a ticking and buzzing sound
    - The touchpad's 2 separate buttons are good but the touchpad itself is too erratic
    - The keyboard feels cheap and clanky but I do like the responsiveness and its anti ghosting tech with the pretty green backlit

OTHER INFO that Might be Good or Bad for different folks
    - No Card Reader
    - No Ethernet Port
    - No Optical Drive

Unfortunately, I just returned it for a full refund. Razer did an amazing job on putting all those powerful components inside a very thin and light machine that feels very premium with its aluminum body and I am hoping on their remake or 2nd revision of the Blade 14, they would put a much better display. To be honest i'd rather have a glossy panel and i'll glady sacrifice and live with the glare as long as the panel is clear than get stuck with a matte panel that is so grainy and painful to look at.

Wapochief likes this.
  2. riveale

riveale Newbie

Reputations:
  3. nacho420

nacho420 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the 2013 Razer Blade Pro and I love it. I have it to game on in my living room and generally have it on my lap.

I have a Targus dual fan laptop cooler with foam on the bottom which works well for the device on my lap. However I was wondering if anyone had found any better laptop coolers which are larger to use in this situation.

Thanks!

-Nacho

4. vanq69

vanq69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone else getting a high pitch buzzing sound that Benchmade42 mentioned? Or is that just likely to be a defective model?

5. magicweasel

magicweasel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My power supply buzzes when its not plugged into my machine. Its done that with both my first and second machine. We'll se how the third one is. But at the same time when I have my HP's old power supply plugged into the same power strip it buzzes too. IDFK

6. Wapochief

Wapochief Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine buzzes. Seems to be a common "feature" of the power supply. Just put it on the floor away from your head. Mine is 3-4 feet away and I can't hear it even in a very quiet room.

7. Ellyidol

Ellyidol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same here, I've never had issues with the brick noise unless I actually sit it next to my head or ear (which is never, fortunately).

Regarding the BSOD, I got one today for playing FFXIV. It's only happened on it though and these BSODs seem to "fix" itself over time. I used to get a lot for GW2 which disappeared, I also used to get them frequently for FFXIV but has now died down. I'm confused though, since AFAIK, BSODs are hardware issues. Unless it was a driver/client issue with a specific game?

8. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    not necessarily BSODs happens a lot because of software as well, kernel errors or other irrecuperable errors are very common causes

9. ArcticMonkeys

ArcticMonkeys Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I finally got this machine! Absolutely love it. The screen is not that bad either!
    A couple of issues though, what application I need to close to get 7 hours of battery?
    Why is the battery percentage doesn't show up?

Cheers

10. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Steam seems to be the biggest offender, but there could be others. Enable the tray icon to monitor when the nVIDIA GPU is ON.

Get BatteryBar for the battery indication - it provides other information as well. The free version is good enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.