New Razer Blade & Razer Blade Pro

Discussion in 'Razer' started by neoideo, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Cuddles

Mr. Cuddles Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can somebody who already has the 14" version confirm, that it is upgradable with a 2nd SSD and a 2nd Ram?

2. ArcticMonkeys

ArcticMonkeys Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm planning on getting the Razer Blade / Blade Pro, just got a couple of question.
    1. Are the difference between i7-4702HQ, i7-4700HQ and i7-4900MQ (used by other manufacturer) really significant on day-to-day use and on gaming use?
    2. Does the Blade Pro have the option to upgrade its memory? Will it void the guarantee?
    3. What components can I upgrade on Blade and Blade Pro? Will it void the guarantee?
    4. Does the Razer Blade Pro perform in silence? I don't want my laptop to disturb any other student in class by loud sound of cooling fan and heat. My previous MBP did great on sound but got really hot when I ran Windows.
    5. Is there any battery life improvement between Blade and Blade Pro?
    6. How long can I use the Blade / Blade Pro if I'm just using it for typing stuff, doing assignments, and coding (I'm doing a computer science course this september) before the battery run out?
    7. Also does razer blade has a built-in microphone? I know pro version does, but what about the normal version?

3. Ellyidol

Ellyidol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll try to answer what I can.

1. I personally don't think so, not extreme differences at least. From what I understand, other than the slight speed difference, it's the wattage that separates them? Could be wrong, please correct me.

2. SSD upgrade, yes through Razer from 128 to 256 to 512. On your own, I think some people have slowly determined that you actually can, but at your own risk. Opening the unit voids your warranty automatically.

3. From the past few pages, it seems the RAM and HDDs or SSDs can be altered if you know what you're doing.

4. Apparently the Blade really does, so I'd like to assume that the Blade Pro also does. Hopefully.

5. From what I can see, they use the same battery. So a bigger machine with a bigger screen and more overall wattage would definitely consume more battery, so doing the same things, Blade > Blade Pro battery life.

6. Estimates show the Blade to have a roughly 4 hour lifespan of doing those things. I would honestly like to say the same for the Pro, but because of number 5, maybe 3 hours?

7. I'm pretty sure it does and it's standard within these laptops. If there isn't, I'd be very very surprised.

I'm expecting my Pro within the next week, so hopefully I can post some observations here soon.

4. rishabhjain1198

rishabhjain1198 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Actually, I read in a hands-on (I forget which one) that the Blade Pro is very loud and hasn't changed from its predecessor in that aspect.

5. Wapochief

Wapochief Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Check notebookcheck.net for exact info. Not a big difference in windows and games. Maybe in MatLab or other processor intensive tasks.
    2/3. There is an empty mSata on the blade 14, and an empty bay on the 17. It is rumored that an extra mSATA ssd will work on the 14. The 2.5 inch bay on the 17/pro would hold a drive and appears to have a SATA connector, but you need a special cable and it is unclear if it is operational. It appears that you can upgrade the ram on the 17/pro, but not the 14. Opening the innards of the laptop voids your warranty.
    4. From the reviews, the 14 is silent when not gaming, and pretty quiet when gaming. I imagine the 17 is silent when not gaming as well.
    5/6. Blade 14 ~4 hrs, Pro ~3 hrs from what I have read.
    7. It has a built in webcam so not including a mic would be criminal. I'm sure it is there. Edit: Check the tech specs on the website: Array microphone. So yes it has one.

6. wrecks

wrecks Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Battery Video Drain Test.

I got about 6 Hours 27min

Airplane Mode
    10% Brightness
    Vlc Player using integrated GPU playing 720p Video.

EDIT***

New Test, bet better results not having cpuid run in the background and setting up my Logitech software from activating the discreet GPU

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  7. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for that test ! Not bad, but not awesome too. I wish watching 2 movies straight was possible. Maybe with less brightess... Anyway, ±4 hours is still enough, I'm buying it !

8. Serapth

Serapth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I updated my review to included your video (with full credit to you), let me know if you want it removed. I also added an image by request that shows ( an exaggeration ) of the matte screen effect.

9. Serapth

Serapth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You could also eek out a bit more power savings I imagine without having to set the screen lower. If you throttle the processors a bit more and make your long battery settings optimized towards playing video, as well as turning power down from 7% to off, you could probably get it up to easily play two movies.

10. Trux

Trux Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been looking everywhere on the new 14 and Pro and haven't seen anything about the fans being loud. According to this review, the fans are pretty quiet on the new Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA17lQBZDHg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.