New Razer Blade Pro (FHD / 1060)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by rickybambi, Aug 31, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For a 1600-1700$ machine - good. For a 2200$ machine - not impressive.

2. Strife57121F3

Strife57121F3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Then again, it is also the only 17" laptop on the market with:
    120 Hz Screen, GTX 1060, Optimus and good battery life that is thin

I think 2200 is a fair price if Razer ever achieve dell level of customer support.

3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Not really. I believe the GL703 is aiming for those same criteria at about 1700-1800$. The MSI GS73 is also an option and it's notably smaller in overall size and quieter too.

4. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    impressive review. It never even hits 90C, and maintains full turbo, even with the vents blocked by the hinge cover.

Maybe the 17" case has more room for airflow, but my GL502 will reach 100C 100% of the time if stressed with furmark and prime95 simultaneously, and throttle.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like notebookcheck has some good photos of everything and good comments on performance. Sorry I'm slow to comment.

Just a couple other observations having used it full time for the last week:
    • Build quality of the blade pro really can't compare to the GL702 series. It pays for it in the extra pound of weight, but I find it worth it. I'm sure others feel otherwise.

• I've had 6-8 hours of battery life consistently. 6 hours when doing lots of work (data related.) 8 Hours when browsing the web on power saving mode with low brightness and the screen turned to 60hz. It's the only 17" device with 120hz screen and optimus, period. No other 17" laptop with 1060 and 120hz display lasts this long. The GL702 I have in my possession can't even get to 5 hours reliably.

• Notebook check says the fans are always running, but when you set them to quiet mode in Synapse and set the machine to power saving, the fans have literally never come on. In performance mode, they run continuously but they are VERY quiet. Like the previous generation Macbook pro silent. I cannot hear them in an otherwise silent room. I also don't have any coil while on my machine.

• The cooling on this machine is over built compared to so many other 17" machines with the same specifications. Playing games or running 3dmark's firestrike stress test has never raised temperatures above 78 on CPU or GPU. You can get into low 80s with an unrealistic load (Prime95 and Furmark.) It could easily accommodate a 1070 max-Q IMO, but it would surely cost another several hundred dollars from Razer's markup.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just as a heads up for anyone who's been considering pulling the trigger on one, they've discounted the FHD blade pro on their website by $300.

alaskajoel likes this.
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    AT 1900$ I can actually see the RBP FHD 1060 make some sense. If they bring it down to 1600$ it will be a, dare I say, good option.

Vistar Shook and BeastOG like this.
  8. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd honestly be fine with the price, but for that kind of money I want a 1070 max-q and that 99 whr battery. And preferably gsync, but I could go either way for that.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    For that kind of price I want good customer support and a product without glaring design flaws in the power delivery ;)

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. sashimi101

sashimi101 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I purchased this at the recent sale and with further credit card discounts and promotions, it was pretty reasonable.
    I won't say cheap. But, reasonable.

Overall, its an excellent product but you really have to know what you are buying and what you are buying it for and then make a decision whether it meets your needs.

From a value perspective, this is certainly not the most value for money.
    Is it the most powerful laptop you can buy? Not by far.

But, for this combination of looks, quality of build (all aluminum unibody), bling and acceptable gaming credentials, i think it can't be beat. The 120hz screen is real nice except for minor light bleed on the right side of my screen. But, it's not really noticeable so i am fine with it.

I threw out the nonsense 2TB mechanical hard disk and popped in a 1TB 2.5" SSD (also bought at black friday sale) and its more or less perfect for me.

Vasudev, Vistar Shook and alaskajoel like this.