New Razer Blade Pro (FHD / 1060)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by rickybambi, Aug 31, 2017.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wonder what tricks they pulled to get Optimus?

As far as I am aware; no 120hz panel has Optimus because they are driven by dGPU.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good question--I was under the same impression. A reddit user reported having optimus on their 1060 RBP and getting 6 hours of battery life. The GT73VR is also an odd duck in this space...no optimus, but the 120hz display works when manually switching to the iGPU.

I will find out for sure tomorrow. Picking up the 1060RBP in the morning.

Vistar Shook and ThatOldGuy like this.
  3. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    Just picked it up and powered it on. I can confirm optimus is working. Display runs at 120hz with both Intel and Nvidia GPU. This alone makes the 1060RBP pretty unique.

I'm going to take a look at the internals and battery situation later on today. Replacing the stock 70wh battery with the 99wh version would easily make this the only 17" laptop with GTX1060 and 120hz display that can get 7+ hours of battery life.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  4. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any chance you can give us a quick first impressions?

Really interested in fan noise and heat. Also really interested in screen quality.
    Thanks in advance

5. alaskajoel

Reputations:
    For those who are interested:
    • 99wh battery does not seem compatible. The insides of the 1060RBP are pretty different from the 1080RBP.
    • 256gb SSD is a Samsung PM951
    • 2tb HDD is a Seagate Barracuda
    • 16gb ram is 2x8gb Samsung 2400
    • Display is reported as an AUO169D (B173HAN01.6) To my eyes, it looks very similar to the GT73VR 120hz display. Same matte finish and viewing angles
    • I used it all afternoon in a quiet office setting things up and doing some writing in MS office. Fans are super quiet when they run, and they are off most of the time. Even when the fans are on, the HDD drowns out the fans. Overall, it is a very similar sound profile to the 1080RBP, but the tone of the fans is improved. The most annoying sound from the machine is the 2TB HDD...Which I just ripped out and replaced with a 1TB SSD that has all my benchmarking software. Been typing with it on my lap for 40 minutes now and the fans have been deactivated. I haven't tried anything stressful yet, so I can't comment on fan noise at load.
    • IMO, the keyboard is MUCH better than the mechanical keyboard on the 1080RBP for a typist. Trackpad is without question the best Windows trackpad I have tried in recent memory with the XPS 15 being a close second. Its location is a proverbial middle finger to lefties. Volume wheel and media keys are fantastic, as is the lighting.
    • Initial build quality is fantastic, even compared to the other 4 Razer devices I have sampled. The GL702VM in my possession feels extremely cheap by comparison. I would certainly hope so though... This Blade pro is nearly $1,000 more than the GL702 for the same hardware.
    If you have specific questions, ask away. I'll try to help where possible.

[​IMG]

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. mindinversion

mindinversion Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the record, the determining factor for optimus is whether or not the unit has Gsync. The two are mutually exclusive: you can have one or the other, not both.

7. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can I get a nice pic of the screen and keyboard? Thanks. I'm thinking about picking one up with my bonus check not sure though.

8. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All I want to know is whether its much quieter/cooler-to-touch than the GTX 1080 4K version.

Gizmodo review was a joke.

9. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It would be great if @alaskajoel could post temperatures under stress tests and games for reference, since there are no reviews yet that do so.

10. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    don_svetlio likes this.