New Razer Blade (2015)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by .PoNeH, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    The battery is still pretty good, at first it was 5-6 hours, right now it can do 3 hours (both during browsing)

2. ChrisAtsin

ChrisAtsin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright. Thank you.

3. kingcow

kingcow Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have problems with the laptop not turning on the first time? When I press the power button it will get to the bios screen and after that it will turn off. Pressing the power button the second time will bring me to the windows login screen.

4. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Haven't had that issue on RB but my second Aorus is having that issue which I'm sending in for RMA today because of that. It's not normal and something is definitely wrong.

5. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    Never had that issue.

6. wawawa

wawawa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just want to see how many of you guys get dead pixels on their screen (the QHD+ one).
    I returned my 512GB RB today in a Microsoft store because there was a dead pixel near the center. I wanted to do an exchange but they don't have 512Gb in store. So I just returned it and get a new 256GB one instead (the only one they have left). Well, the new one's got 3 dead pixels !!! Two near the center and one on the edge. I returned the new one as well.

Now I have to wait until the credit refunded back to me before I can order a new one. I kind of wish I kept the first one because the pixels are so tiny on the screen and I don't notice it until I am really close. But for a $2500+ machine, I just don't want to compromise.

7. acabal

acabal Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I went through an awful RMA saga with MS/Razer when buying the 2014 Blade for just this reason. I ended up returning two that all had dead pixels before I received a third one that had a perfect screen. But the third one had a bad GPU--nearly every game I tried would crash 5 minutes in, and GPU check utilities would immediately report errors. So I returned that one, only to receive, wait for it--a unit with dead pixels. So I got sick of wasting my time and money I returned it for good. Like you, I'd expect dead pixels on a $700 machine, but not a ~$3,000 machine marketed as a premium product.

Now the RB 2015 is out and I was excited, expecting them to have improved their QA. I bought the 512 GB model, and of course, it arrived with not just dead pixels, but also a weird color shift--the left side of the screen is tinted yellow, the right side is tinted pink. Not very noticeable during gaming, but extremely noticeable on white backgrounds, like the Google homepage. I've set up a return for this one and am waiting a replacement, but I'm not going to give Razer more chances than this--looks like they're using the exact same B-grade screens from the RB 2014.

I suspect the issue is that larger vendors like Apple and Dell might have bought out all of Sharp's A-grade IGZO panels. Razer, a smaller vendor, would have gotten stuck with the B-grade panels. Or maybe they went with the B-grade panels to increase their margin and hoped nobody would notice. Typically B-grade panels are sold cheaper to entities that don't care about a dead pixel or two, like medicine and government.

All I can say is, if you're thinking of buying the RB 2015, buy from the MS store. They have a very generous return and exchange policy, including free return shipping. If you get a unit with a poor quality screen, make sure to mention you're returning it for dead pixels--maybe MS, and then Razer, will get the message.

It's really too bad--the RB 2015 hits nearly all of my checkboxes for a perfect laptop. 14 inches, good touchpad with independent buttons, ultrabook form factor, insane specs, hidpi panel. But they haven't gotten their QA down for their panels. If anyone from Razer is reading, I'd be happy to pay more to get a perfect-pixel warranty or guarantee.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  8. .PoNeH

.PoNeH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow. Here I was thinking I was unlucky. You have gone through pretty much the same exact thing as I did with the RB 2014. Returned my first one due to white spots on screen. The return came back with the screen flawless but the system would shut off randomly after 5 mins or so of gaming. They exchanged yet again for a new unit, with, guess what? White spot on the screen. My next, and for sure, last replacement is coming in tomorrow. They claimed to have manually inspected this system for marks on the screen and stress tested the system. We'll see if their expectations match mine.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

9. wawawa

wawawa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tough luck guys. I hope you finally get the perfect one.
    Fortunately, the guys at Microsoft Store are very nice, so I don't have too much trouble returning mine.
    But I am kind of surprised/disappointed that Razer don't improve their quality check on their machines when quality is their selling point. I mean, the price difference between the 1080p version vs the qhd version is $400 ! That's a huge mark up for just a screen change and +8gb of ram. Yet they can't spend a little extra time to check their machines before shipping them.

10. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    The base price may be high but the markup certainly is not. AW charges $350 extra for the 4K on the AW15 and the clevos also have a $300 for the 4K sharp and that one is non touch. It's standard with the rest of the industry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.