New Razer Blade (2015)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by .PoNeH, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Eh? I've gamed for hours at a time on many occasions. It's not going to catch on fire or melt.

2. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Kind of an odd thing. The RB isn't really meant to measure up to an Alienware. You are buying the RB for the form factory. AW is bulky. (I know, I've owned many)

Did you buy the new AW15 or last year's? New one is still running 870M if I recall correctly.

3. ChrisAtsin

ChrisAtsin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There was no AW15 last year. There was an AW14 but that had a 765M I think.

4. ledzepp14

ledzepp14 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    got this model:

• Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (6M Cache, 2.5 GHz)
    • 16 GB DDR3
    • 1000 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 128 GB Solid-State Drive
    • 15.6-Inch 1080p IPS Screen (i believe it's matte)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5

i'll be replacing that hard drive. total was around $1700 with free 2 day shipping, so should have it Saturday the Amazon rep said. saved a couple of hundred bucks and gained more ram compared to the 1080p RB, and a mini display port.

i'll see how it is, but i've yet to count out the 1080p RB. my main concerns were bang for buck and heat. i almost got the ASUS G751JT, as that was really the best for the money, but i got to try it out earlier at B&H, and i just didn't like the form factor. i loved the big screen tho, and that's when i started leaning towards the AW15, as i do prefer the 15.6" more than 14".. i know i'm sacrificing a bit of portability, but i figured the better cooling, slightly bigger screen, and cheaper price are good trade-offs. we'll see.. i've been spoiled by my MacBook Pro, so if the AW15 doesn't come close to it's quality, i'll revisit Razer again.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  5. Adenosine

Adenosine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let me know what you think of the AW15 in terms of portability. Was also considering it but I thought it might be too heavy to carry to class every day.

6. ledzepp14

Reputations:
    will do. i lifted up some similar weight notebooks while i was at B&H, and 7lbs is not bad at all. i carry a 7lb Gibson ES-339 guitar around here in NYC, so i have an idea. but i should also consider the power brick, which would also add in a bit of weight.

7. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    To be honest, the cooling argument is pretty irrelevant at this point unless you will be playing games on your lap. Maxwell is cool and OC is blocked anyway so headroom is pointless as you will get no extra performance. Screen size and price are genuine concerns though and if you don't need/want the portability, aesthetic appeal and battery life of the Razer Blade then there are a lot of other good, if not even better, options out there.

8. ledzepp14

Reputations:
    unfortunately, i will be doing some lap gaming, as i don't have space for a desk in my small NYC apt. so this definitely played a factor. i mostly play Skyrim and Mass Effect 3, and with those 2 on my MacBook Pro, the aluminum unibody gets pretty hot. i was just imagining how much hotter it would be with a 970m and more powerful CPU in there.

9. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    Yeah, you made the right choice. I can't imagine the Blade at full load being comfortable on your lap.

ledzepp14 likes this.
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I suggest a lap desk. The intake vents are on the bottom. There would be the risk of blocking them without a surface. Any gaming notebook really isn't suitable for lap placement without a lap desk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.