New R61 Purchase, Did I do OK?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by davkj, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davkj

davkj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a hard time making a decision, but with the pricing I didn't want to miss the current pricing. I could not find a laptop with a bluray drive for anywhere near this price. Only down side is a lack of an HDMI port, but I can live with that. I went with the R series since the laptop is used at home and don't need the roll cage. I think this should be fine for light video editing and general use. I used a corporate discount site + the USXTHRESHOLD coupon.

What do you think?

ThinkPad R61 Series - 1 Year Express Warranty -$1212.43

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)1
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium12
    15.4" WSXGA+,Camera,BT
    nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, PC Card/ PCIe
    3 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)8
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm4
    ThinkPad Blu-ray Recordable Ultrabay Enhanced Drive5
    Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)10
    Integrated Bluetooth PAN
    6 cell Li-Ion Battery ( 2.4 Ah )60
    8918: 1Year Express Warranty

2. SonDa5

SonDa5 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the specs and the quality of the build I have not seen another quality notebook come any where near this price.

You got a great deal IMO.

3. Arki

Arki Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree with SonDa5. You picked up a very good deal, especially with the BlueRay. :D

4. msmcougar

msmcougar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, very nice deal indeed!

5. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    I am so BLOODY jealous. Nice.

6. Hrjustin

Hrjustin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    wow man i paid like the same thing for my r61 and it only came with 1 gig from lenovo so i bought a 2 gig stick from newegg for like 100 bucks when i bought it. now the same 2 gig stick from newegg is only like 40 bucks. thats a great deal man does it burn blueray disks or is it just a dvd burner with a blueray drive?

7. ProfessorShred

ProfessorShred Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm right there with you,been sweating it most of the day,took it right down to the wire and decided to go with a T61,I've owned probably a dozen IBM/Lenovo's over the years,and have absolutly loved every one.I've got a Dell M1530 now,and as sleek as it is,just doesn't have the quality/feel of the Lenovo's.Congrats on your purchase:D

8. davkj

davkj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The drive is a bluray burner. They were offering $200 off on the drive!:eek:

9. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great setup, though I would have ordered the RAM from NewEgg for cheaper. I have the same config except without the Camera, and I have the 80 GB HDD which I will upgrade later to something else. I will say, that the 80 GB 5400 is pretty darn slow. So getting a 7200 would have been my next choice, like the 160 GB 7200. BUT, if you only use a certain % of the 160 GB drive, you should be doing alright. Great purchase though, as I do love mine.

Two things though...and I will be curious to know how you fare:

My latches do not stay shut very well, and I can actually open the cover without using the release. I would say with about 5 LBS of pressure. In addition, I get that pesky whine on high performance mode coming out of the rear vent. Both of these problems "should" be able to be resolved if I send it in for warranty work. BUT, just giving a heads up to look out for those two issues. A few other threads speak to these.

10. NoCompromise

NoCompromise Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm considering a very similar setup. I'm just debating between integrated or discreet graphics cards. Will Blu-Ray and other movies play fine on integrated? I'm not planning on gaming - just surfing, movies, etc..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.