New Purchase - EVOC P750TM1-G

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Vision Star Media, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 2700 is limited to 65w and I very much doubt Acer will let you change that.

Plus telling someone made a bad choice buying a proven product over something unreleased when you don't have a full understanding of the specs is incredibly short sited.

Papusan and Porter like this.
  2. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What memory speed and what GPU did you end up going with?

3. Vision Star Media

Vision Star Media Newbie

Reputations:
    I got the standard processor. I won't need to overclock.

4. Vision Star Media

Vision Star Media Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered 32GB of DDR4/2666MHz Ram and a GTX 1060 GPU.

5. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just want to expres my opinion here regarding the 8700k vs ryzen 2700 debate.

When it comes to productivity, things are a bit complicated because there isn't a CPU that is better at everything.

Ryzen has its advantages in some areas where performance scales better with more cores, while 8700k has a considerable advantage where performance scales with clock speed.

8700k can also match or surpass ryzen even in areas where core count is important if that app can take advantage of both multiple cores and higher clock speeds (with an emphasis for higher cloks).

There are a lot of productivity apps that can't use multiple cores (with few exceptions) in the main working window (viewport, where performance scales better with higher clocks ), but they can properly use all the cores when rendering.

Some of the apps that mostly don't use (or don't efficiently use in some cases except rendering) multiple cores, are CAD, BIM and other 3d modeling software:

In video editing (viewport) both ryzen and coffee lake do a good job.

Ryzen is supposed to have at least a slight advantage in rendering if we consider the CB r15 scores, but it doesn't always have an advantage. The CB r15 score isn't always a good performance indicator for rendering, even in c4d:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ormance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1047/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...Comparison-AMD-Ryzen-2-vs-Intel-8th-Gen-1137/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...en-vs-X-series-vs-Ryzen-vs-Threadripper-1123/

Quadron likes this.
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Only with BIOS microcode updates to support new CPUs, which BTW ASUS has already stated that they will not release for Zen+ on GL702ZC.

7. Quadron

Quadron Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do find it hilarious that he refers to it as Ryzen Radeon... lol Harder to record live video and easier to make a snaffu like that than you'd think, but still lol... In this arct

It's impossible to tell if he's got anything active in FarCry, like a benchmark running at the same time or if its just menu idling. If it's just a menu, it wouldn't affect the benchmark much at all, though it does potentially negate the test if he is running the Far Cry benchmark at the same time. The Ryzen 2700x scores around 1800, but it has a TDP of 105w and higher clock speeds. The Ryzen 2700 is a gimped version with less TDP of only 65w and signficantly lower clocks, so a score of around 1500 makes sense.

Are there any other tests out there so far? Either way, @raz8020 posted some excellent links and has a solid perspective on this. Each processor has its strengths and weaknesses depending on the application you're talking about, so there isn't a clear winner overall. But the 8700k at stock still significantly outperforms the Ryzen processor at least in the Puget productivity tests that Raz linked. Either way, the Helios 500 isn't out yet, hasn't been tested with the Ryzen processor, and bashing people for a purchase of a tried and true system is just not that smart.

The video you linked talking about the dropped frames isn't comparing the 8700K processor, but the weaker i5 variant, and on top of that, the overall speed that he comes up with is that the i5 is still faster, though it does drop frames, at least with the 4k footage that he was using. BUT this is going to vary drastically depending on the type of 4k footage you're using (higher bit rate and poorly optimized footage will be more difficult to play smoothly, obviously), so it's definitely not indicator of how it will perform with all 4k footage out there.

For example, my GH5 has 150 mb rate 4k 60P option, and editing that footage is incredibly choppy on every system I've seen so far, probably on all systems, including the Ryzen, though it would be cool to test it with a Ryzen. But if I record in a lower bit rate 4k 30P or use Sony's 4k codec's, I can edit perfectly smooth. The other thing to consider is that I actually don't shoot my videos in 4k anyway, so my previews are perfectly smooth as is, so that's just a non factor for me in general. Clearly, this will vary drastically from person to person and what type of codec the person is using, etc.

But as for me and many people who already have smooth editing experiences, Adobe Premiere and After Effects will perform much faster on a 8700k than the Ryzen (As is evidenced by your own video as well as the links @raz8020 posted), at least for now, but as time goes on and programs are updated to take advantage of more multicore processes, it might change. I'm not saying the Ryzen is bad, it's certainly better than the intel laptop processors lineup, but the 8700k is just clearly better with adobe products for how I use them and will save me time in my workflows. So please stop running around and spouting bs all across the forum and bashing people without proper understanding.

On top of that, I'm a hardcore gamer so I want maximum gaming performance as well, so two birds one stone. On top of that, the helios is in a whole different category than the P751 laptops anyway...

It seems like you just have a vendetta against Clevo laptops in general, based on how you're running around everywhere on the forums and saying they're trash. Did you have a bad experience with them or something that made you really biased against them? Seems like unjustified hatred to me.

Papusan and raz8020 like this.
  8. Quadron

Quadron Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very interesting benchmarks and video. You seem to have a balanced view and I completely agree with you. Good thoughts.

raz8020 likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 8700k is going to have a significant clock advantage of course.

Papusan and raz8020 like this.
  10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You clearly are not familair with cinebench, it matters A LOT if you have programs open or not. It doesn't matter if far cry was idle or not.
    Also you're wrong, the 2700 is very similair to the 2700x, if the x version scores stock 1800 points, the non x scores 1730. The X version is unlocked and can be overclocked, while the non x is locked at 4.1ghz, while the x stock is at 4.3ghz, it's not that much of a difference. You clearly are not familair with ryzen at all.

As you pointed out, in each application the intel is better than AMD, and vice versa, but in streaming and video editing, the ryzen wins hands down. There is no contest there, alone for the fact that you don't have dropped frames anymore.

The i7 and I5 coffee lake are extremely similair in adobe premiere, it drops equally as many frames. sadly.

And as already stated, premiere and after effect only render faster if the IGP is acivated, however the dropped frames are still a massive problem, especially for professionals, which ryzen eliminates. Ryzen is the clear winner in terms of video editing for the dropped frames alone. There is nothing more valuable than saving time because you can spot errors in your preview and don't have to re render your movie/clip over and over again.