New Purchase - EVOC P750TM1-G

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Vision Star Media, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Vision Star Media

Vision Star Media Newbie

Reputations:
    I just ordered a new EVOC P750TM1-G from HIDEvolution and I'm excited to put this beast to work. Unlike most people on this forum, I'll be using this laptop almost exclusively for professional editing. I'm not much of a gamer. With Adobe Premiere, CPU performance is more important than GPU performance, so the 8700k desktop processor seemed to make a lot of sense. I'll be hooking this up to a few Dell 24" monitors in my editing suite.

Donald at HIDEvolution is amazing. (But anyone that has been on this forum has heard that over and over again.) He spent several hours on the phone with me discussing options, answering questions, and doing some extra research on my graphics dilemma. Together, I think we worked out a great solution for my application.

I'm new to this forum and hope to learn and share knowledge with the NBR community.

2. Quadron

Quadron Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ordered the same unit, waiting on it to come in! It's in production now. Did you get the sillicon lottery processor or the standard one? I figured that since I'm spending the big bucks I might as well go all out.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Bad choice.
    You should have waited for the Acer Predator Helios 500 notebook with Ryzen 2700. Not only does the ryzen run cooler and renders faster than the 8700K, it also minimizes the dropped frames when looking at previews. In terms of Video editing, the ryzen beats the snot out of intel, not only that but the ntoebook has an AM 4 socket which will get supported to at least 2020, meaning you're likely going to be able to upgrade your GPU even further in 2 years to get even more out of your notebook, instead of buying a new one.

To give you an idea how bad the intel is compared to ryzen. If you have a 60 second clip, you drop ~50% of the frames, while ryzen only drops 3%. AMD is the choice for every video editor.

4. Quadron

Quadron Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dude, you've really got to rephrase the way you recommend things. You come across as a total jerk. It's really hard to take what you say seriously.

The Acer Predator Helios 500 isn't out yet, and it's not a clear winner in many categories. In this article (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pc...er-predator-helios-500-gaming-laptop.amp.html) they tested it and it only had a multi score of 1512 (I don't know if processor will be overclockable, though I don't think so). Any decent Clevo P751 from HID with upgraded cooling and delid will be able to match that performance or go higher and have a higher single thread score to boot. It also doesn't have an Nvidia GPU, so for sure for me it's no good for people want to maximize GPU performance for gaming and rendering. The laptop is also in a different weight class at 17" and 8.8 lbs. I don't go higher than 8 lbs since I take my laptop with me eveywhere, so that's also a no go. There's no way I'd go with the Predator Helios personally.

As far as Intel vs Ryzen on adobe premiere, Premiere loves higher single clock time for many effects, Intel also has hardware accelleration, which can cut render times in half. AMD doesn't. Haven't heard about the dropped preview frames with Intel chips, but my video and timeline previews perfectly fine on my Intel laptops, but I'm usually only editing 1080p or 2.5k clips. So in my mind, Intel is hands down the winner for editing with Premiere, but I'm open to hearing any info I'm missing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  5. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Premiere is badly optimised in general, especially for AMD systems, but since its pretty much the standard for video editing people don't have much choice. If the OP is using it for his job, the time savings of the 8700K will add up over several weeks, even if its only a few minutes per video.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3310-adobe-premiere-benchmarks-rendering-8700k-gpu-vs-ryzen

Unless the OP is doing multiple renders at the same time, there is no benefit in using Ryzen or Threadripper over the 8700K.

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Didnt know about the new hardware acceleration, however i have 2 concerns need to ask. Are those CPU's spectre patched or not? Also what about the dropped frames in viewing the preview.

EDIT: nvm, the feature is irrelevant, since the IGP is disabled on the P870TM. My statement stands.

@Quadron
    You need to take that with a grain of salt, here is the guy doing the test:

Yes it's that person who wrote that review. Not only did he call the CPU a ryzen "Radeon Ryzen" but also he ran cinebench while having microsoft edge, uplay and far cry 5 open.

He wasted a good oportunity.

also dropped frames:

U're welcome. @ 3mins 45 secs

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I doubt the spectre patches would affect the performance much, maybe a few seconds at most. If someone has to do a lot of computing tasks like blender etc then Ryzen is definitely better in most cases, but for Premiere in particular id say the 8700k is better. One thing Ryzen is definitely better for is multitasking.

8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Given that the IGP is disabled on the P870TM it performs much worse than ryzen in every aspect, correct me if I'm wrong. It can only beat ryzen in rendering time by using the iGPU to accelerate even further. So the dropped frames are still there and the CPU is considerably slower when not being able to use the iGPU.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 2700 is going to be fairly power limited in that chassis so I would expect the 8700k to come out ahead in a lot of tasks.

Plus it's an Acer......

Porter likes this.
  10. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    The cooling solution of the acer helios 500 is designed to run up to an I9 - 8950HK, consdering ryzens power draw is much lower, it should be absolutely fine.