***NEW*** Prema Mod Alienware 15. 15 R2 / 17 R2 and R3 Performance vBIOS

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orancanoren

orancanoren Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you people experinece CPU throttling on 15/17r2 when you OC GPU core clock? I was trying to find a stable OC and I increased the core clock by 100 MHz (also mem clock by 400 MHz but that didn't had an impact on throttling I guess) and when I checked Throttlestop it was reporting TDP throttle. I'm starting to feel bad about my purchase again :(

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is a laptop, you cant expect the same type of overclocks in such a small form factor. For similar performance you need at least 450watt in a full sized desktop PC. You really expect too much in my opinion of he machine.

3. orancanoren

Reputations:
    But people overclock their gpu core clock by 135 MHz and they don't report problems. Maybe getting 330W PSU would be a better setup for OC, I am currently using 180W&A05 so I don't really complain about the problem anymore.

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not every GPU is equal in quality, some just run hotter than others. Same as with CPU's some can overclock higher than others. thats just how it is. 100mhz more is already pretty good for a laptop of this size.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, it's not really because it is a laptop and you don't need a desktop to have something wicked. All you need are the right components, the right design, and a more accommodating form factor. It's because they didn't build the new products like an Alienware should be built. It's built like a BGA notebook it typically built, with low TDP parts for mainstream consumers and a GPU to help it play games instead of being totally worthless for playing games running with Intel HD Graphics. This never used to be a problem before the current models. They're focusing on a different end user than they used to be focused on. This is exactly what some people wanted, but not what others wanted. It's a matter of personal preference and either option requires compromising on something... size/weight or performance... cannot really have the best of all worlds because there are no OEMs with magical powers.

orancanoren likes this.
  6. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am quite a hardcore gamer. I am very glad Alienware went this path. Portable machines, with long battery life and very suitable for gaming. I experience zero problems for the purpose it was built for. Which is gaming (BF4, Witcher 3, COD AW, FC4 etc). Current day gaming laptops are far more suitable for gaming and perforrming near the level of desktop high end gaming PC's compared to older models which always performed like a mid end gaming PC with the performance of a generation older GPU. The gap is now far more narrow than it ever was.

7. orancanoren

Reputations:
    I partly agree with you but don't you experience any problems such as heating and throttling?

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, I am a hardcore overclocker and performance enthusiast, and a hardware junky that likes to upgrade. I don't replace machines every couple of years. I prefer making old machines kick the teeth of of the newer gamer machines, including single GPU desktops. I love being able to run my CPU and GPUs 500MHz to 1GHz beyond stock specifications and setting performance records in benchmarks. It's really fun to do all of those things, and much less expensive in the long run than buying a new machine every couple of years that cannot do most of those things.

Gaming is something I do when I am bored. The new machines are totally unfit for my purposes. That's why I mentioned personal preference. There is nothing wrong with the new machines if they suit your needs and serviceability is a secondary concern. Using the wrong tool for the job is never a good deal for anyone. Most games only need a decent GPU and most gamers can get by with a pathetic CPU (thus there is still a place for low budget AMD CPUs in the gaming world). I use my battery for an integrated UPS. It doesn't matter if the system will run for 1 hour or 12 hours to me. These machine absolutely do not perform on the level of a high performance desktop, but they do give similar performance to low budget single-GPU gamer machines.

All that really matters is that the customer is happy and the machine satisfies them. You'll never convince me to buy one for myself because they are woefully inadequate to suit my purposes and they are incapable of making me happy because of how they are built. They definitely look beautiful and play games well, but that's only about half of what I require. Neither one of us is more right than the other, we just have different interests and expectations. The only sad part of this is, there is no longer a place for me to be seated at the Alienware table. I'm super bummed out about it, but I didn't create that situation.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nope not any at all. Durin gthe current 20c~25c ambient temperature I experience no throttling. I might be able to force it to throttle while running furmark and prime at the same time for example ofcourse. But in normal gaming scenarios I do not experience any problem. Something I was worried about before using the laptop while reading a lot of posts on this board.

10. kakashisensei

kakashisensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried out the vbios and everything seems great so far. Originally had my 970m at +135/400 on stock vbios. Tried +200/400 at stock voltage, but it froze in firestrike. Backed down to +162/400 and no issues. Load temps were 64C in unigine heaven.

Tried +262/400 at 1.05v, and that worked fine. Load temps were 66-67C in heaven. Then I tried +292/400, but that froze immediately in firestrike.

I think I will settle at +162/400 at stock. I could probably squeeze out another 20-25mhz, but I rather play it safe. I need this bga laptop to last. I plan on using graphics amp anyway in the long term.

One other thing I noticed is that it seems fps stutters don't happen as much with this vbios. These are the sequences in firestrike or unigine heaven where there is a split second stutter. I don't think it has to do with throttling, as my gpu meter shows the clocks are at max boost and gpu utilization is still full during these moments on both vbios.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Prema and Mr. Fox like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.